General Thoughts: Modern History (1 Viewer)

Plaguesbread

HSC
N/A
Great Depression (b)

Intro The Great Depression and its economic impacts set the scene for the collapse of the Weimer Republic and the reconfiguration of German politics. Essentially the “social, political and economic cleavages” (Motyl) fragmented German society and “put the wind in Hitler’s sails” (Taylor). The economic effects were exacerbated by the Burning’s deflationary policy, which saw the German populace turn against and lose faith in the Weimer Republic. Out of this German politics became progressively polarised, providing Hitler and the Nazi party with a key opportunity to gain the support of the German people and conservative elite

Exam argument Argued it was the fundamental catalyst for the collapse of the Weimer Republic and democracy, which paved the path for the growth of extremist parties and political intrigue of the Harzburg Front bringing Hitler to power and providing basis for the formation of the 3rd Reich.

1) Wall Street Stock Market crash - economic crisis = political disillusionment revitalised, linked it to the political crisis where no party could gain majority
2)Great Dep paired with Proportional rep being a unstable political system, and depression causing disagreements within the Muller coalition seeing resignation of Muller Gov (the last democratically elected gov)
3) Bruning's deflationary policy in an attempt to handle economic problem, merely exacerbated the economic and social problem, leading to the Reichstag reaching a total impasse --> article 48 and seeing emergency decrees increase by 5 - 65 between 1930-32 = collapse of democratic process, linking to widespread support of the extremist parties due to futility of the Reichstag to solve to problem
4) Rise of extremist popularity reflected in 1930 election --> tied to workings of Hindenburg's close circle advisers
5) Political crisis catalysed by the GD swayed Hindenbury --> dismissal of Bruning and appointment of Papen --> linked to paving path for Hitler after 1932
6) 1932 Presidential election and Reichstag = Huge Nazi vote where 52% Reichstag was filled by the KPD and the NSDAP --> papen leading intruge to bring Hitler to power (communism and desire for old imperialism) tied back to depression causing such popularity

what yall think ?
are you me? b\c that's the same thing i argued + another few points; article 52 namely + added a few historians in there. i also talked about how nazis had <5% of votes in 1928 and communists had 4x more, nek minit, 1932, nazis had majority, attributed to depression
yeah idk if i havent alked about enabling act then *shrug*

natcam

HSC
N/A
For Speer contributions

P1) Role as 1st Architect actively consolidated the Fuhrer Myth and popularity of Nazism in early years = popularity and support an out break of war
p2) role in consolidating the War Economy and ensuring administration efficiency via centralising power and absorbing all jurisdictions for economy (e.g Naval Armaments and some areas of Walter Funks Ministry for Economic Affairs)
p3) His role in Wehrmacht --> armaments miracle, economic standardisation/rationalisation --> 55% increase in productivity enabled Hitler to stage his fight to the finish and thus prolonged the war
p4) Scortched Earth Policy (opposed and reversed it with his authority) --> prevented Germany from regressing to a state of pre-industry and thus preserved Germany and its industry

natcam

HSC
N/A
For WW2 practically did counter thesis on how the events leading up to the Soviet Pact (appeasement and Collective security and whatnot) saw Hitler's overconfidence and his opposrtunisitc foreign policy driven by 1) desire to remove the ToV and 2) Volkenmeinschaft and Lebensraum - meant that even if the pact wasnt signed it would only delay the on set of war as Hitler (as outlined in Mein Kampf) was determined to gain living space in the east and reverse the ToV which Poland was one of the final steps for (Danzig Corridor from Paris Peace Settlement) - basically mashed up an intentionalist view with Taylor's view that after the Rhineland Germany could only be stopped by war. So Non Aggression pact merely the catalyst for war in 1939 and wasnt so much the pivotal point to conflict in Europe just what saw it erupt when it did.

ailhat_s

HSC
It wasn't until I had read the first question for Germany that I actually calmed down. I realised I was stressing for nothing. I was able to answer every question and write a significant amount for each, so I'm happy. I was really impressed with that exam. Not the best, but certainly not the hardest.

Still ecstatic as all hell that it's over now, though. :L

HSC
Great Depression (b)

Intro The Great Depression and its economic impacts set the scene for the collapse of the Weimer Republic and the reconfiguration of German politics. Essentially the “social, political and economic cleavages” (Motyl) fragmented German society and “put the wind in Hitler’s sails” (Taylor). The economic effects were exacerbated by the Burning’s deflationary policy, which saw the German populace turn against and lose faith in the Weimer Republic. Out of this German politics became progressively polarised, providing Hitler and the Nazi party with a key opportunity to gain the support of the German people and conservative elite

Exam argument Argued it was the fundamental catalyst for the collapse of the Weimer Republic and democracy, which paved the path for the growth of extremist parties and political intrigue of the Harzburg Front bringing Hitler to power and providing basis for the formation of the 3rd Reich.

1) Wall Street Stock Market crash - economic crisis = political disillusionment revitalised, linked it to the political crisis where no party could gain majority
2)Great Dep paired with Proportional rep being a unstable political system, and depression causing disagreements within the Muller coalition seeing resignation of Muller Gov (the last democratically elected gov)
3) Bruning's deflationary policy in an attempt to handle economic problem, merely exacerbated the economic and social problem, leading to the Reichstag reaching a total impasse --> article 48 and seeing emergency decrees increase by 5 - 65 between 1930-32 = collapse of democratic process, linking to widespread support of the extremist parties due to futility of the Reichstag to solve to problem
4) Rise of extremist popularity reflected in 1930 election --> tied to workings of Hindenburg's close circle advisers
5) Political crisis catalysed by the GD swayed Hindenbury --> dismissal of Bruning and appointment of Papen --> linked to paving path for Hitler after 1932
6) 1932 Presidential election and Reichstag = Huge Nazi vote where 52% Reichstag was filled by the KPD and the NSDAP --> papen leading intruge to bring Hitler to power (communism and desire for old imperialism) tied back to depression causing such popularity

what yall think ?
Pretty similar to what I did. But I think that Amaranth95 is right. It all depends on how convincing you are.

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
It wasn't until I had read the first question for Germany that I actually calmed down. I realised I was stressing for nothing. I was able to answer every question and write a significant amount for each, so I'm happy. I was really impressed with that exam. Not the best, but certainly not the hardest.

Still ecstatic as all hell that it's over now, though. :L
As long as you did your best. :)

RafH

HSC
Uni Grad
Did anyone do the Khmer Rouge question for Conflict in Indochina?
If so, what was your argument??
=I

khlaz

HSC
Was pretty happy since the exam was really similar to our trial paper!

Although I'm kinda paranoid and stressing out because I used the wrong extra writing booklet for the personality question... But I labelled it on the front and everything so it should be okay.. yeah?? The supervisor didn't seem too fussed about it but can't help worrying

SherlockHolmes

HSC
Only studied a little bit of shit, cause I was too lazy, every single bit I studied was in the test. #blessed #praiseethelooord
Ditto, spent all of yesterday cramming for all four topics.

bhsrepresent

HSC
I think I took a pretty unorthodox approach to Speer. Hope it clicks with markers..

I said his significance was the insight he gives into the amorality of Nazism, irrespective of whether the Nazis were zealous ideologues or 'apolitical technocrats' like himself. He's a 'rational' perspective into an 'irrational' regime. But nonetheless -> despite being different to other Nazis, historical evidence (Jewish Flats guilt, correspondence with Himmler on Auschwitz and admittance to the wife of Belgian resistance leader regarding knowledge of Holocaust) proves that he turned out to be the same -> The same amoral disregard and barbaric treatment of innocent human beings in the pursuit of an ideological end -> Thus his significance is beyond simply the artistic/ productive dimension and is more to do with the insight gained into Nazism by examining his life

natcam

HSC
N/A
Interesting! Sounds like it fills more the evaluation of his personality and historiographical divisions/dichotomies than his significance? Not sure can't judge since I dont know what you wrote but how did you tie the significance of to our insight when it asked for international/domestic? Or was that just a part of your argument ?

loversinjapan

Swag Queen
HSC
Officially in the syllabus (for Leni) it detailed the start of her dance career to meeting Hitler

However I interpreted it as start of dance career to de-Nazification trial
You didn't have to describe everything under that dot point though, amirite? Plsberite. I didn't go on to talk about de-Nazification. ;_; There's just so much shit under that dot point and I didn't think it was worth writing 2 full booklets for 10 marks. plzbrite

Last edited:

bhsrepresent

HSC
Interesting! Sounds like it fills more the evaluation of his personality and historiographical divisions/dichotomies than his significance? Not sure can't judge since I dont know what you wrote but how did you tie the significance of to our insight when it asked for international/domestic? Or was that just a part of your argument ?
I guess so but I hope that's what they're looking for as opposed to a stock standard "He prolongued the war and did x y and z'". But with that approach comes risk and the potential of them seeing it as pre-prepared..

I tried to say his significance is the insight he gives for historians/those examining Nazism (i.e. domestic history) NOW rather than his specific contributions to the Nazi state (I still briefly mentioned these though). So for exampe, his post-Nuremberg writing is significant as it demonstrates his 'skilled manipulation' and perpetuation of blatant lies -> Giving insight into the nature of Nazism itself (hopefully they get that that's the tie to 'domestic history) as well as his character

enoilgam

HSC
You didn't have to describe everything under that dot point though, amirite? Plsberite. I didn't go on to talk about de-Nazification. ;_; There's just so much shit under that dot point and I didn't think it was worth writing 2 full booklets for 10 marks. plzbrite
You dont have to discuss everything - just as long as you covered the appropriate syllabus points in enough depth you should be fine.

natcam

HSC
N/A
ohhh fair enough Im sure they will pick up on it and reward you for it !

sugartits

HSC
Troll attempt=fail

Hahahaha after writing about Trotsky for an hour, Ramsey was the only person I could think of. I posted it on FB that I used Ramsey, and someone appeared stupid enough to actually believe me - probs being selfish thinking I deliberately pulled her mark down (I'm ranked 5th out of 30)

sugartits

HSC
I would rather have done 2012. Russia and Europe were a lot easier last year, hopefull they scale up this year.

Is there even option scaling in modern?
Last year's Russia one was a sneaky one on Foreign Policy..... thats so much harder than consolidation of power. Basically all you had to do for this year was say (IMO) The treaty was significant cause all other events may not have occured without Russia being pulled out of the war e.g. Constituent Assembly, Civil War (Could've had a different war on 2 fronts), Cheka, could've mentioned Trotsky and the red army played an equally significant part, and Lenin's decrees etc

Europe was harder last year I think.... this year was easy once you figured out the quote (it almost sounded like a double negative) you just list the stuff in the first section Tensions e.g. Dictators, appeasement, failure of League of nations, collective security

Last edited:

hayleyemma96

HSC
Great Depression: Treaty of Versailles, 1st Eco crisis, stresemann era built on weak foundations, GD then political turmoil (abuse of powers, rivalries etc)

Speer: Bio was First Architect, Germania/Reich Chancellery and Armaments. Essay talked about those things and ability to demonstrate power of Nazi party + war effort

Nazi-Soviet NA Pact: without it, hitler may have not invaded Poland as threat of two front war was too risky, appeasement + collective security/League more significant though as allowed Hitler to defy

Hoping for 20-21/24/22-23/20-22
Overall raw mark of 85+
I want a band 5!!

Hayley :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)