General Thoughts: Modern History (1 Viewer)

ChrisMueller

HSC
Uni Grad
Eh. The exam was easy - could have done better in Section 4/Conflict in Europe, but I'm not unhappy overall.

Gave it the best I could.

Reinhard Heydrich

HSC
I think the exam was really easy, I am expecting at least 90+. 3 people in the exam room left with an hour to go... But besides that everyone thought it was fine.

natcam

HSC
N/A
Yeah I thought it was pretty good! No real surprises. Speer was a breeze so was Weimer, core and ww2 I think I pulled it off! Was really stressing about modern! Got in opened the booklet and did a little fist pump hahah! :)

mrbananaman

HSC
N/A
Last year's Russia one was a sneaky one on Foreign Policy..... thats so much harder than consolidation of power. Basically all you had to do for this year was say (IMO) The treaty was significant cause all other events may not have occured without Russia being pulled out of the war e.g. Constituent Assembly, Civil War (Could've had a different war on 2 fronts), Cheka, could've mentioned Trotsky and the red army played an equally significant part, and Lenin's decrees etc

Europe was harder last year I think.... this year was easy once you figured out the quote (it almost sounded like a double negative) you just list the stuff in the first section Tensions e.g. Dictators, appeasement, failure of League of nations, collective security
Yes, I definitely agree with Russia.. The Treaty of Brest-Litovsk question was easier than foreign policy etc. I basically said that yes the Treaty was significant in achieving the Bolshevik peace promise and avoiding the long term constraints of WWI and thus consolidating power, and then branched out by saying that while the Treaty was significant, it wasn't the only factor in consolidation. (TBL, Initial decrees/reforms, Lenin's leadership in early consolidation, the implementation of a coercive apparatus, war communism and NEP). Conflict in Indochina was another question where you could do this - with the Tet Offensive option. I talked about how Tet was extremely significant in bringing about victory, by serving as a stimulus to intensified anti-war movements etc, while strengthening Communist morale through a psychological victory vs the US deterioration of morale on both the war and home front. Then went on to say how Tet was not the only factor in bringing about victory (talked about Tet itself, tactics and strategies of NVA/NLF, then USA/ ARVN, and anti-war movement). WWI was pretty good- know I got one multi choice wrong though :( And Trotsky (personality) was the easiest section by far. So easy/predictable, and perfect to adapt an essay. Hopefully the next few HSC exams go like Modern.. haha :p

Kowther

HSC
Officially in the syllabus (for Leni) it detailed the start of her dance career to meeting Hitler

However I interpreted it as start of dance career to de-Nazification trial
I wrote about the beginning of her film career up to de-Nazification I think.

Also what do you guys think the aligned mark will be?

ncoul

HSC
I wrote about the beginning of her film career up to de-Nazification I think.

Also what do you guys think the aligned mark will be?
According to the syllabus, Riefenstahl's rise to prominence encompasses her directorial feat of 'The Blue Light' (1932), her meeting with Hitler at Wilmershaven, the banning of Jews from the film industry and her first party film 'Victory of the Faith' (1933). You would have to mention those, except for maybe the banning of Jews in the film industry, to get the 10/10.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
According to the syllabus, Riefenstahl's rise to prominence encompasses her directorial feat of 'The Blue Light' (1932), her meeting with Hitler at Wilmershaven, the banning of Jews from the film industry and her first party film 'Victory of the Faith' (1933). You would have to mention those, except for maybe the banning of Jews in the film industry, to get the 10/10.
I defs remember writing Hitler at Wilmershaven, and MAYBE Victory of Faith (not sure if in section 1 or 2 where I wrote that). Forgot banning of Jews from Ufa though. Dame

Kowther

HSC
Hm... I wrote about her starring in Arnold Fanck's films. I didn't write abou the banning of the Jews, and I didn't write about 'Victory of the Faith' but I wrote about her other ones like 'Day of Freedom' and 'Triumph of the Will'. I knew there was a third one (VoF) but I forgot the name of it gahhh otherwise would've included it. Oh, and I wrote about her meeting with Hitler as well.

ncoul

HSC
Hm... I wrote about her starring in Arnold Fanck's films. I didn't write abou the banning of the Jews, and I didn't write about 'Victory of the Faith' but I wrote about her other ones like 'Day of Freedom' and 'Triumph of the Will'. I knew there was a third one (VoF) but I forgot the name of it gahhh otherwise would've included it. Oh, and I wrote about her meeting with Hitler as well.
Part a of the personality section is all about the syllabus and biographical detail, not argument. Though you may attribute her early pursuits as projecting Riefenstahl's prominence, you won't receive 7/10 if you haven't outlined those listed events.

Eg155

HSC
Such good exam! The Cold War question on ideologies was the same as my trial question.
And the Russia question on Stalinism was so open!
Best paper I've seen imho.

frankfurty

HSC
I thought Leni was easy. Her rise to prominence was mainly from her meeting with Hitler at Wilmershaven, her two films, 'Triumph of the Will' and 'Victory of Faith' when the Nazis came to power.

frankfurty

HSC
Yeah that's fine! I also wrote on Arnold Fancks' films particularly 'The Mountain of Destiny' as it was the springboard for Leni to enter into film, learn about cinematography, skills in which would eventually elevate her to prominence.

frankfurty

HSC
Great Depression: Treaty of Versailles, 1st Eco crisis, stresemann era built on weak foundations, GD then political turmoil (abuse of powers, rivalries etc)

Speer: Bio was First Architect, Germania/Reich Chancellery and Armaments. Essay talked about those things and ability to demonstrate power of Nazi party + war effort

Nazi-Soviet NA Pact: without it, hitler may have not invaded Poland as threat of two front war was too risky, appeasement + collective security/League more significant though as allowed Hitler to defy

Hoping for 20-21/24/22-23/20-22
Overall raw mark of 85+
I want a band 5!!

Hayley :)
OMG HAYLEY. I also talked about those things in Conflict in Europe :D -high five-. For Germany I chose the social and cultural life question and just mentioned the initial consolidation of Nazi power 1933-34 (Enabling Act and Gleichschaltung), Nazi State Police, Propaganda and Racial policy. I could have talked about Hitler Youth and the role of women but I didn't have enough time to fit all that in. I just hope everything I wrote was sufficient enough for me to get a B6 though! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)