General Thoughts: Physics (1 Viewer)

Jimmy2064

HSC
I increased the amplitude and frequency of the sin graph.
Sweet as, I missed amplitude I figured they would be the same but I doubled frequency between 1-2 of sin graph so should hopefully get some marks

yasminee96

HSC
What'd people get for the acceleration of the gravity on the graph where we had to plot data? Think i got 1.19x10^-1... which seems really off haha

superSAIyan2

HSC
Wasn't emf a sin graph!? You can't use a ruler for a sin graph (so you should be fine, from memory it was only two marks as well which means they probs won't take anything off for neatness)
It was three marks. And it is a sin wave. I meant i didnt use a ruler to draw the axes. It was free hand. The curve looked decent though.

Ozzyy

HSC
no part b asked for magnitude and direction of electric field. if u wanna check fizzy cist posted the paper
Oh crap, I found the direction of the force of the magnetic field ._.

Sweet, lost a mark for not halving the diameter and lost a mark for finding the wrong magnetic field. x.x hopefully i don't discover any more accidental mistakes D:

Randox

HSC
N/A
These are my answers. What mark am I looking at?
1) b
2) d
3) b
4) a
5) d
6) d
7) a
8) d
9) b
10) a
11) b
12) a
13) b
14) c
15) a
16) d
17) b
18) c
19) c
20) a

andybandy

HSC
Omg, I dont know why, but i found that physics exam quite simple, a few multiple choice were tricky, made a few silly mistakes their, and the solar cell question i might of got wrong haha, but other than that, it was pretty nice

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Omg, I dont know why, but i found that physics exam quite simple, a few multiple choice were tricky, made a few silly mistakes their, and the solar cell question i might of got wrong haha, but other than that, it was pretty nice
The name of the question's now even changed -.-

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
These are my answers. What mark am I looking at?
1) b
2) d
3) b
4) a
5) d
6) d
7) a
8) d
9) b
10) a
11) b
12) a
13) b
14) c
15) a
16) d
17) b
18) c
19) c
20) a
14/20

fionarykim

HSC
This is what the Jacaranda textbook says about photocells, why are solar cells wrong to mention?

A photocell is a device that uses the photoelectric effect. These devices include photovoltaic, or solar cells, which convert electromagnetic energy, such as sunlight, into electrical energy. Other examples are photoconductive cells and phototubes.

pg 207

Someone explain why drawing a solar cell is wrong?
Omgg if this true, then i didnt lose 5 marks for nothing...
I described a solar cell TT

yasminee96

HSC
This is what the Jacaranda textbook says about photocells, why are solar cells wrong to mention?

A photocell is a device that uses the photoelectric effect. These devices include photovoltaic, or solar cells, which convert electromagnetic energy, such as sunlight, into electrical energy. Other examples are photoconductive cells and phototubes.

pg 207

Someone explain why drawing a solar cell is wrong?
"Photocells are common in electric eyes, radiation detectors and light meters. Many utilise the photoelectric effect to detect the presence of light or radiation at particular wavelengths. For example, a photoelectric photometer is used by astronomers to analyse the frequencies of light received from a star. Others respond to a change in light intensity by detecting a particular photocurrent, such as in an alarm circuit where an intruder cuts a beam of light falling on a photocell.

Photovoltaic devices, use a silicon semiconductor to convert sunlight, or any visible light, into electrical energy. When sunlight falls on a junction between n-type and p-type semiconductor material, electrons are ejected from atoms. These electrons are collected to form a direct electric current (DC)."

^ CSU notes say this :O

"Photocells produce a current when they are in the presence of light (or any electromagnetic
radiation). They do this by using the photoelectric effect. As shown in the diagram below, the light
gives the electrons in the cathode the energy to escape from the cathode (this is the photoelectric
effect), as the electrons are negatively charged they travel to the anode. As the electrons flow from
cathode to anode a potential difference between the cathode and anode is present and a current is
measured on the ammeter." - Andrew Harvey :( :(

EDIT: Dot point clearly differentiates between the two...the odds are not in our favours guys...

Ozzyy

HSC
"Photocells are common in electric eyes, radiation detectors and light meters. Many utilise the photoelectric effect to detect the presence of light or radiation at particular wavelengths. For example, a photoelectric photometer is used by astronomers to analyse the frequencies of light received from a star. Others respond to a change in light intensity by detecting a particular photocurrent, such as in an alarm circuit where an intruder cuts a beam of light falling on a photocell.

Photovoltaic devices, use a silicon semiconductor to convert sunlight, or any visible light, into electrical energy. When sunlight falls on a junction between n-type and p-type semiconductor material, electrons are ejected from atoms. These electrons are collected to form a direct electric current (DC)."

^ CSU notes say this :O

"Photocells produce a current when they are in the presence of light (or any electromagnetic
radiation). They do this by using the photoelectric effect. As shown in the diagram below, the light
gives the electrons in the cathode the energy to escape from the cathode (this is the photoelectric
effect), as the electrons are negatively charged they travel to the anode. As the electrons flow from
cathode to anode a potential difference between the cathode and anode is present and a current is
measured on the ammeter." - Andrew Harvey :( :(

EDIT: Dot point clearly differentiates between the two...the odds are not in our favours guys...
Do you have any tissues? :'(

phantom3456

HSC
The syllabus was amended for 2010 and the photocell dotpoint was changed:
"identify data sources, gather, process and present information to summarise the use of the photoelectric effect in photocells"
Thats why many schools and sources dont really learn about the phototube.
SO i think either answer would be right

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)