• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

general UNSW chit-chat (2 Viewers)

Beege

HSC
I'm so glad that I don't have mid-sems but I've been very busy with assignments over the past couple of weeks but that busy period is now over and this weather is amazing!

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Thank god for equation and formula sheets in exams.
My bad memory is virtually wiped out everyday so any day is a braaaand, neeewwww daaaayyyyyy!!!! :D

Dumsum said:
Install Cygwin but remember to include gcc when doing so.
kthnxman

Beege said:
I'm so glad that I don't have mid-sems but I've been very busy with assignments over the past couple of weeks but that busy period is now over and this weather is amazing!
How many?

karoooh

HSC
politik said:
Well, alot of people have been saying that about Law Revue - all three Revues share resources and the like, but there are differences - they had a shorter rehearsal schedule, more cast members, fewer scripts (from what i hear), among other things. That said, we are very different. Our critiques have been very positive - you won't regret it - our show has been in development for longer than Law Revue by most estimates anyway.

The writers on Futurama, The Simpsons and (closer to home, given your signature) Arrested Development are all Science majors, so why wouldn't you come?
Yea I've seen the videos before and they don't seem bad. I'll probably go if I can get a friend to go with me. :)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
wrong_turn said:
i think karoooh is hinting at one of bored's big fellas :p
Who yourself?

You mean, uhawwwt :shy:

Anyway leslie, did you apply for YS in 09? I decided to fill out a form in the end (instead of finishing my english essay) but it's pretty much a full-on non serious attempt. Much like the law revue (ah that'll never grow old).

I also did it because a couple of friends were asking for it.*

*lulz

Copypasta. P.S. it's about 1000 words, so it'll probably be tl;dr (unless you are as bored as i am)

Question 1: In your opinion, what are the aims and goals of Orientation Week?

I believe the aims and goals of Orientation Week would be to promote university spirit amongst returning students; to give opportunities for new students to become familiar with the rugged terrain of Kensington (and COFA) - by wistfully gazing at the infamous stairs; to facilitate social activities for all; and generally to allow academics and school heads to promote the educational aspects of uni life.

The aims will not include AOL or other instant messenger services, and most certainly will be no less than 110 UAI. In fact, owing to the supreme status of Dexters (good show) at UNSW, the goals will not come from the Socceroos; rather from members of the local Nerds FC.

Question 2: Why would you like to be a part of the Yellow Shirt program?

I would like to be a part of the Yellow Shirt Program because first and foremost, i would be able to pass on my knowledge of UNSW buildings and pathways (most relevant to HSC students who have just finished 'Journeys') and passion for the numerous on-campus eateries, libraries and medical centres (most relevant to those with a PhD in 'i sure give a damn') to all the freshmen. Using such lingo reflects how i am a true American Boy (truly ironic as that song is shit, like USYD).

In fact, since we are all university students and have part time jobs at Mcdonalds and other takeaways (especially myself because, you know, i do arts), it would be an honour to point out to all newcomers how the 'time machine' on the library lawns featured in a recent KFC snack box advertisement. It would be Music to the ears of the star trek/star wars/star gate/star...ved students. Especially if they had Radiohead's 'Sail to the Moon' on repeat.

You can tell i like Music (but not Madonna's album). Cultural allusions are my (piano) forte. And all that jazz.

Question 3: What experience do you have working in teams, in leadership roles, and/or helping others?

I have undertaken various volunteer roles at University, in the Faculty of Law and Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. In terms of university life, i actively participate in all forums of debate and was an o-week stall coordinator in 2008. I am a natural leader (I don't know how to put this but i'm kind of a big deal...people know me) where my [leader]ship and steering qualities are reflected by my references to anchor[man]. I am also President of an affiliated ARC Club.

In regards to the question, I work well in teams. Gangs actually. BANG. My political incorrectness allows others to connect with my message. I find this is more effective than the use of a noun, and a verb and 9/11 in sentences.

You stay classy San Diego.

*References in chronological order: ron burgundy, rape, and joe biden. As one can surmise here, i am very good at explaining cryptic messages, especially to new students, such as those found in university handbooks and ARC membership payment schedules.

Question 4: What previous volunteer positions have you held at UNSW? (It's ok if this is the first time you've volunteered)

See above.

See question 3.

See cups. (Actually no, i am a guy).

The most recent volunteer position i held was in the 2008 Law Revue as a script writer. Although my material was not presented (not in its purest form, in any case) i believe it showcases my past dedication to improving the life of present UNSW students, translating into positive transformations within future students. This reflects the intrinsic human condition where the fusion of binary opposite viewpoints toward the hermeneutics of time (past, present, future), leads to a balanced worldview. Sublimity is a *function* of practical actions and abstract psyche, and just like UNSW O-week *differentiates* itself from USYD O-Three days using the *chain rule* (ie CSE revue stalls), i believe i stand out as a volunteer in my past experiences, like Demi Moore's mammaries and *unchained melody*.

DON'T WATCH GHOST THOUGH. I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT. LOUD NOISES. (An insight into the free advice i would give to UNSW students).

As you can see, i really like my literature. Almost as much as volunteering (with its long vowel sounds conveying peace and polysyllabic emphasis reflective of afternoon delights). In the war of the words, I am an English Major. (No, not French Napoleon on Dynamite) oh Captain, my Captain. (And not 'Vote for Pedro').

Question 5: If there is any other information you would like to give to support your application, please supply it below:

Hello.

I just want to say that this has been a productive exercise of procrastination for me, as i put off looking at rape (not in gangbangs, but in the mock heroic of Alexander Pope's Rape of the Lock) within my next essay topic. While i must be candid, and profess that (before i started) i was not overly excited to add another volunteer achievement on my list for 2009, writing this out has been a cathartic experience and i would now consider it a privilege to be asked to be a Yellow Shirt. It is a case of art mimicking life, and my subversive language while hyperbolic, does parallel very well with the enthusiasm i believe i hold towards this grand university of NSW.

Whatever the result, this application has acted as a metaphorised Muse for my uneasy mind. SHINE! (Nah, not that kind of Muse guys). Though time IS running out, as we reach the end of my self-reflexive piece.

I believe i have experienced all facets of UNSW life in my short period at university. The time i have given freely towards creative and entertainment pursuits have enriched my life, and each time i arrive at campus, even the architectural eyesore that is the Scientia building has become endearing. I have shown my expansive knowledge of the cultural life at UNSW; yet what should not go unnoticed (not in me, or in other applications you read) is the second 'home' many of us, such as myself, have constructed between the bookshelves of the library, on the plush sofas at the Red Centre or the mahogany stools in the QUAD. I really hope that the Yellow Shirts of 2009 will keep up the faith, the 'Righteous Brothers', the homeliness of Kensington/Paddington that makes 9am starts worthwhile.

You had me at hello :eek: (should actually watch Jerry Maguire though)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
LOL please tell me that was all on the form :p

nuh im taking a break from all volunteering for a while...need a break for myself.

i might do it next year.

btw there might be one of the people selecting you on here. remember they are students too. i wonder what happend to babydoll...

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
shoxgeneration said:
oh really? ;) haha
OH EM GEE.

I just realised you listened to Muse 'Time is running out' at 4:58am according to your sig.

Did you notice my allusion to it in my application (i emailed a bit of it to you earlier :eek:)

Soul mates :eek::eek: Or Soul(ja) boy? (Nah truly a shit song, much like USYD lulz).*

Oh yeah and Leslie, that was all on the form. Did you like it :p

* I actually really like USYD and still know academics over in the Department of English there; i just commented on this because it should go down well in Yellow UNSW (cwotididthere?) / Yellow Shirts of UNSW.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
wrong_turn said:
LOL please tell me that was all on the form :p

nuh im taking a break from all volunteering for a while...need a break for myself.

i might do it next year.

btw there might be one of the people selecting you on here. remember they are students too. i wonder what happend to babydoll...
she just hangs on #hsc, doesn't bos anymore

Gleb1

HSC
i have a question in Chemistry

it says that Name an example of a mixturein each of the spheres and state the components in that mixture

Atmosphere Air
Biosphere
Lithosphere
Hydropshere

but i doint know the rest of the mixtures can you anyone help me please
thank you :cool:

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
Bobness said:
OH EM GEE.

I just realised you listened to Muse 'Time is running out' at 4:58am according to your sig.

Did you notice my allusion to it in my application (i emailed a bit of it to you earlier :eek:)

Soul mates :eek::eek: Or Soul(ja) boy? (Nah truly a shit song, much like USYD lulz).*

Oh yeah and Leslie, that was all on the form. Did you like it :p

* I actually really like USYD and still know academics over in the Department of English there; i just commented on this because it should go down well in Yellow UNSW (cwotididthere?) / Yellow Shirts of UNSW.

hahaha you crack me up nut-stylez - mmm that time in my sig for Last.fm is quite off though.. as if i stay up at 4:58am listening to music on my laptop - *points fingers at uhawww* haha

Oh and m'dear, it was quite a laugh to read your lovely composition and subtley interwoven humour/quotes within!

PS. I CAN'T SEE WHITE IN THE SKY YEWWWW!!! :D going to go vote now.. sigh...

karoooh

HSC
I want to go to the beach but I'm in pain and so I must endure the heat between home and at the polling booths (I'm handing out pamphlets for my dad's friend). :(

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
@bobness: i read most of it and from what i read it was damn entertaining. tell me if you get a call from them :p

@uhawww: LOLZ i seen her in ages at uni either. i use to see her every now and then at uni or saw her when i was doing ys.

LOL voting was such a bitch this morning...rediculous...ive had to i think vote 4 times since i turned 18 :|

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
wrong_turn said:
@bobness: i read most of it and from what i read it was damn entertaining. tell me if you get a call from them :p

@uhawww: LOLZ i seen her in ages at uni either. i use to see her every now and then at uni or saw her when i was doing ys.

LOL voting was such a bitch this morning...rediculous...ive had to i think vote 4 times since i turned 18 :|
Welcome to a country in which there are at least 2 superfluous levels of government.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)