genome question (1 Viewer)

abdooooo!!!

Banned
does anyone know why particular alleles are more dominant in a pair homologous chromosome while others are co-dominant. how does the DNA code (genes) account for this behaviour? ie if there is a co-dominance does the alleles share in part in the copying of codes to the mRNA to produce the polypeptides or proteins?

oh and what is the responsible for amount or rate of protein sythesis? i assume it would be some kind of feedback system but what factors triggers this response?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
to be quite honest, i have no idea. im guessing its not syllabus related, but you're curious? :)

if anyone knows the answers then post away.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
uhm... uni bio man... even if u R really curious, i dunt recommend u find out the answer before the hsc, esp not before ur school asmt... cuz tis really temptin to insert extra bit of knowledge into ur answers... if u teacher hasn't seen em, or tis not in da text book, den tis wrong... as far as the marker or ur teacher is concerned...

but on another note, it IS interestin to know... =p blehz

= Jennifer =

HSC
because it is too damn confusing for me to google around at around 9pm my brain cant function after a very hot day and teaching curious prelim students business studies.....but if i can be bothered i will get back to you

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by xiao1985
uhm... uni bio man... even if u R really curious, i dunt recommend u find out the answer before the hsc, esp not before ur school asmt... cuz tis really temptin to insert extra bit of knowledge into ur answers... if u teacher hasn't seen em, or tis not in da text book, den tis wrong... as far as the marker or ur teacher is concerned...

but on another note, it IS interestin to know... =p blehz
i am very familiar with the situation that you described... i think thats what happened to my chemistry... i reckon i got hammered because of my in-depth explaination thats a little beyond the hsc syllabus. i still can't believe my mark... i applied for remark in the hope of it being changed higher so i wouldn't have to be forced to repeat it this year.

but i don't care... i value knowledge more than the pseudo hsc mark. :)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
lol I read this question and thought shit I've really forgotten a lot of biology already.... then I realized we had never learnt this stuff lol.

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
hehe we havent got up to the genetics module yet, maybe wait till after next term, sorry :(

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
i fink durin the protein synthesis, the rate is alwayz maximum dat it can handle... when there are sufficient amount of protein, the systhensis stops...

uhm for complete dominance i fink prolly the mRNA only transcribes the dominant gene?? not sure... while for co-dominance, mRNA reads both genes... hence both proteins are manufactured....

abdooooo!!!

Banned
uhm for complete dominance i fink prolly the mRNA only transcribes the dominant gene?? not sure... while for co-dominance, mRNA reads both genes... hence both proteins are manufactured....
yeah, thats what i thought as well, so there would be a mixture of both proteins, hence producing different hair colour or whatever. do you have any websites? anything?

i fink durin the protein synthesis, the rate is alwayz maximum dat it can handle... when there are sufficient amount of protein, the systhensis stops...
not so sure about this one, protein synthesis should in my mind be affected by the rate at which protein is broken down, ie shortage of amino acid supply in the blood stream for energy or for building new proteins, this could cause muscle or lever protein break down to increase its concentration. then this will proly lead an increase in protein synthesis to replace the protein lost after raw material and energy (food supply) is given. but i don't know... i need some sites. :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)