Votes: 4 40.0%
  • shit... waste of dosh

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
is the geography excel guide any good, coz i am only starting my grography study now and picked up the excel guide this morning. does it help or is it just another useless study guide that is full of shit...? :confused:

mjor

yeah its not all that good...
95% of it is these massive set of excercises which might be good if u did them, but look like they take so f'in long i doubt anyone has ever done them. It does have a few decent summaries... like the one for people and economic activity it provides a good 1-page run down. Its hard for geography though because you're going to be using your own case studies anyway, and not something out of an excell. As for the skills sections i'd say its pretty mediocre. Some of the practice essay questions are worthwhile but some are a bit out there.
I don't like the geography text-books either. Its all so vague. It seems to me that for geography you can talk about a huge range of things to give a decent answer that may or may not relate a great deal to the question.
for example in half the study guides and things it has say "Nature, character and spatial distribution of megacities" a nice big title, and u think sweet, something straight out of the syllabus i have to know. THen they just BS on about how blah population increase blah rural urban migration etc and they don't say a thing about the actually nature or characteristics!

OK enough extended response rant on geography.

smalec

yeah, i agree that its pretty shit house...i wouldn't waste any money on it. the pages and pages of excercises are crap simply because i can't b bothered doing them, and that's all that the book really offers, apart from a few VERY general summaries...
i bought the excel guide, coz my teacher was really all over the place when she taught and i thought it would make it easier to identify what we actually had to know as opposed to everything that she told us (half of which seemed totaklly useless and pointless)

well that's my 2 cents worth...
good luck all 4 thursday!!

HyperJK

HSC
Excel is only good on Skills and stuff not on the other things like ecosystems, Urban places and Tourism.

CoYLiE

near the back, the tables on ecosystems at risks really come in handy if you just need a quick reference for a particular ecosystem... we did kosciuszko
the skills are good just to go over and the broadsheet allows you just another example of how to get info out of it...
nothing on our economic activity (viticulture and winemaking), but that stuff on chinese urban consolodation was was good for megacities...

beava_69

where did u do ur viticulture thing coz we r doing that and idont have that much onm it

CoYLiE

our local eco. activity was mcguigan's hermitage road winery and cellar door... we went up there for a day and they gave us this whole tour and told us about market conditions and the glut in australia... i think it was one new vineyard every 72 hours in australia...
but the main thing he kept on saying was the need to capture a market share, cos if you don't you've got no chance in succeeding. especially against the 20% of companies which own 80% of the market share or the top 4....

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
thanks for the feedback guys, i kinda thought it was pretty bad too so at least im not the only one

hope the paper is good thursday... good luck but not too much :p

astron

HSC
N/A
Its ONLY good for the skills sections, the rest is rubbish. The layout is too cluttered as well.

But skills are covered elsewhere in other text books just as well.

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
yeah i bought the guide. barely used it. my notes were better than the crappy study guide...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)