• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Geology at UNSW (1 Viewer)

ThomasB52

HSC
I'm interested in studying geology at UNSW and was advised to do a B Science double major in Geology and Spatial Information Systems in order to become more qualified. just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for or against this degree

thanks!!

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
ive only ever done one geology subject back at unsw at that was geos1211.
the subject was quite good, lectures were interesting and the lab classes you learn heaps.
theres a mandatory field trip too, but everyone was more looking forward to piss ups at night time.

that said, im sure geology at unsw is pretty good.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I always wanted to do geology, but never had the chance to do it :(

I think the geology major is fanastic - just look at the handbook. There are so many subjects to choose from in geology and other related majors. I think it's a good idea to double major in geo and spatial - they both complement each other. You would't want to major in Geo and anatomy for example because they are completely unrelated. If you really like geology, then you will probably like Spatial Information Systems as well. It would be rare to like one and not the other.. it would be like saying someone likes microbiology but hates immunology... it rarely happens.

Good luck!

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
what are geology field trips like? i'm taking engo geology next semester and it says field trips are part of the course

do you go look at rocks or what

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
when i did geos1211, we went to bathurst, and basically we had a look at different types of rocks and soil around that area. it does get a bit boring if youre not a huge geology fan though.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
My friend is a Geology/Spatial Info Sys major, if you have any questions, post them here and I'll ask him to answer. He's in about 2nd, 3rd year I think and he loves it. He rocks ;)

ThomasB52

HSC
[FONT=&quot]hey could you ask your friend how many days a week the double major is. I live a fair distance away from UNSW and might need to move in closer.
Also are there many lab classes and is there any professional recognition, like from mining companies?

thanks
[/FONT]

Dreamspirit

HSC
geoscientist --> geoscience australia

geo physicist (pet eng/min eng)

i did geos3321

i'm not a geos fan so i'll be biased, i didnt like it. bored crapless, too much assumed knowledge. labs were alright but too many people and only about 2 tutors.

KD

HSC
N/A
It depends on what you want to do in the future. You could also consider:

Geology + Mining eng

Geology + Civil eng

Heaps of jobs in these areas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)