Geometrical applications of calculus q's (1 Viewer)

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Got a few qustions I can't answer and would like some help as to how to solve these.

1. "A piece of wire 10m long is broken into two parts, which are bent into the shape of a rectangle and a square. Find the dimensions x and y that make the total area a minimum."

2. "A silo in the shape of a cylinder is required to hold 8600m^3 of wheat. Find an equation for the surface area of the silo in terms of the base radius."

3. "A rectangle is cut from a circular disk of radius 6cm. Find the area of the largest rectangle that can be produced".

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Thank allex. However I've got a couple of other ones I cna't get out either, with Q1 I'm not really sure how to go about this, and with Q2, I just can't seem to get the right answer.

"1. A 3 m piece of wire is cut into two pieces and bent around to form a square and a circle. Find the size of the two lengths, correct to 2 decimal places that will make the total area of the square and circle a minimum.
Correct Answer = 1.68 cm, 1.32 cm.

2. A picture frame has a border of 2 cm at the top and bottom and 3 cm at the sides. If the total area of the border is 100 cm^2, find the maximum area of the frame.
Correct answer = 160 1abc6 (1abc6 represents the fraction one sixth)."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)