• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

"George Bush doesn't care about black people" - Kanye West on live TV (1 Viewer)

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
pinoying said:
Link to article
http://www.smh.com.au/news/music/rapper-breaks-with-bush-song-sheet/2005/09/03/1125302778622.html

Video of the incident
http://www.zebrality.com/media/2005/kanye.avi

Kanye West after a speech at a concert for Hurricane Relief live on NBC.
Publicity stunt for his new album or otherwise?

lol at the surprise on mike myers and chris tuckers faces
who cares a lot of black people are in gangs and they complain they are poor well i wonder when they stay out til early morning jig school etc. and dont learn..and they wonder why they poor??? they have all opportunities as every1 else im sick of them winging i love rap music but im sick of it u dont hear aboriginals complaining every 2 seconds

adambra

HSC
Not exactly a revelation but good on him.

Oh and to the poster above me: ...

Last edited:

pinoying

HSC
i dont believe it was the smartest move on his part...

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
"George Bush doesn't care about black people," West said from New York, bla bla bla....
He said America was set up "to help the poor, the black people, the less well-off as slow as possible". bla bla bla
"We already realised a lot of the people that could help are at war right now, fighting another way, and they've given them permission to go down and shoot us." bla bla bla

He says "us" in that last quote, I doubt they were given orders to shoot just blacks. But yeah, the first part is still probably true.

pinoying

HSC
believe me, im a kanye fan and i respect what he was trying to say.
but the way he said it is what i disagree with. a relief concert was not exactly the place to be making political statements, it is supposed to be about getting people to open their hearts and donate money. he didnt seem very articulate in the way he spoke and could barely form a sentence. you all do realise that the media will be taking this and twisting it to make him look like "another dumb rapper".

when this hits the news and some old white people who know nothing about rap and the way that kanye speaks emotionly see this, they will just see another inarticulate rapper pulling the race card.

however, believe me, i do respect the fact that kanye had the balls to say this and stick it to the man. i mean what other mainstream black celebrity has the testes to say this sort of stuff, and risk backlash and scrutiny from the media.

pinoying

HSC
kanye gets the big thumbs up from me and i hope this isnt a career ender for him

HSC
pinoying said:
kanye gets the big thumbs up from me and i hope this isnt a career ender for him

1.7 million pre-orders, album slated to sell an additional 800,000 on soundscan in first week (and no this is all BEFORE he said this)...doubt his career ending anytime soon

eminem put out 'mosh' his career is far from over

jadakiss put out 'why' album sold over 900,000 and his career is NOT over at all

PiGMAN

HSC
Crestwood's_G said:
u dont hear aboriginals complaining every 2 seconds
you don't ?

Pinoying said:
i do respect the fact that kanye had the balls to say this and stick it to the man. i mean what other mainstream black celebrity has the testes to say this sort of stuff, and risk backlash and scrutiny from the media.
Black comedians, rappers etc have been "sticking it to the man" since the dawn of time. That just another way of saying "whinging".

He must have balls to hop on the anti-bush bandwagon. How individual of him. And yes he is pulling the race card, its all he has to go on now. I can't see how this kind of comment would serve any other purpose than to get his name out there. He wants the media attention, thats all. Good publicity, bad publicity, its all publicity.

Goodbye

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
oh yeah lets be an idiot and create more racial division in the United States. I actually don't mind Kanye but saying something like this when the last thing America needs is a influential black figure creating more division is a ridiculous move.

yes he has the freedom and influence to say it but really he should've used it to pull America together, not push it further apart.

Espo15

Banned
HSC
N/A
well maybe he feels he has an extremely relevant and important perspective that he feels the need to voice. but of course you'd know the 'real deal' when it comes to american politics and racial prejudice, wouldn't you pigman.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
relevant and important perspective? it's nothing new, just simply something said to provoke and blame.

its adding fuel to a fire that really doesn't need to be addressed yet. right now it'd be a lot better to aid the relief, there'll be plenty of time for blame to be spread around after the damage Katrina caused is cleaning up.

and no i wouldn't know the "real" deal but i do know a bit more than a few of you.

HSC
PiGMAN said:
you don't ?

Black comedians, rappers etc have been "sticking it to the man" since the dawn of time. That just another way of saying "whinging".

He must have balls to hop on the anti-bush bandwagon. How individual of him. And yes he is pulling the race card, its all he has to go on now. I can't see how this kind of comment would serve any other purpose than to get his name out there. He wants the media attention, thats all. Good publicity, bad publicity, its all publicity.

Goodbye

they 'stick it to the man' for a reason you retard.

even bush admitted that government response has been 'unacceptable' even though he is the one who is in charge.

kanye west had a right to say it and i think he was in the right, the government took awhile to respond, what else are people supposed to think, new orleans is a very mixed city in terms of whites and blacks, most of them are black too, i think i read somewhere 60 or 70%.

'he wants the media attention, thats all. good publicity, bad...'

before he said that, he found out that his album had 1.7 million pre-orders and was slated to sell 800,000 copies in its first week on the soundscan charts...why the fuck would he want more publicity while he is all over the MTV and doing ALOT of radio interviews anyway (and they are at the execs requests not his). It's like bono wanting more publicity, kanyes album is the talk of the music biz over there and this is BEFORE he said the comments so no this did not serve, if you saw the video too it was likely that he was emotionally involved in the incident, his father was a member of the black panthers, kanye is very outspoken in race relations in america. Besides, kanye wasn't the only one who noticed that the neworleans disaster emphasised racial issues, it was the topic of many articles BEFORE kanye made that comment.

dumbass ignorant faggot

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)