Getting 100 is possible right? (2 Viewers)

Giant Lobster

HSC
From an extension 2 perspective, the ext 1 paper should have nothing tricky right? Im not really talkin from experience so correct me if im wrong, but even up to question 7, ur only enemy are silly mistakes right? or is there skillful stuff involved?
i.e. q7 usually projectile motion, binomial theorem and stuff like that, their difficulty is limited to an extent right? so hmm...

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Many people will get 100. But thats not to say that there wont be anything 'tricky'...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
it is possible to get 100%, but it's also possible in the ext2 and all other papers

ND

HSC
Silly mistakes kill of many people's chance of 100.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
The chance of a 100 raw mark in the exam is (all but) infinitely greater than getting it in 4 unit. The chance of getting 100 HSC aligned mark in 3 unit is also greater. The exam's are rarely tricky, just long, and if you've got your mind around the 4 unit on monday, killing the 3 unit shouldn't be too hard.

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
My piece of advice is don't underestimate 3U!!! Sure, it's easier than 4U, but Q6 and Q7 of 3U, is equivilant to around Q5-Q6 of 4U...and trust me, they aren't that easy! That was my biggest mistake, my greatest incorrect assumption about the 3U paper and i did pay for it.
I would say, in terms of geeting 100, u have to work quite quickly, but also really accurately, and that is quite hard. My suggestion is to do around 15-20 past papers and practice managing ur time and making a minimal amt of silliy mistakes.
Anyways, Good Luck! :)

Giant Lobster

HSC
So I gather from the replies, a combination of haste and accuracy in the exam and I'll do fine? But then again that same combination goes for the ext2 paper so wouldnt fully preparing for ext2 automatically set u up for ext1?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well when you study for ext2 wouldnt you also be studying for harder ext1 which should set you up quite nicely for the ext 1 exam.

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
Well when you study for ext2 wouldnt you also be studying for harder ext1 which should set you up quite nicely for the ext 1 exam.
Yes, that's exactly what i thought...but i wouldn't solely go by this. Practicing a number of 3U papers is essential and also do a lot of problems from the 3U Fitzpatrick book (ahhhh damn the bird Q!). :)

Giant Lobster

HSC
3 lines of working.
heh bs... :p

yeah that bird question had me stumped. After having gone thru 4u mechanics I'd say that question belongs in 4u :)

3u Fitz is good for 3u right? I wonder why 3u fitz is generally 'harder' than normal 3u, whilst 4u fitz is totally the opposite...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
That bird question is hard, maybe I should wait till we cover that in maths before attempting it.

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
The bird question is actually quite easy if u think about it logically (i.e if u really understand parabolas and their properties)
But doing it the projectile way, it is damn long and tedious...but nevertheless, fun!!! :D

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by AK Gumbi
The bird question is actually quite easy if u think about it logically (i.e if u really understand parabolas and their properties)
But doing it the projectile way, it is damn long and tedious...but nevertheless, fun!!! :D
I understand the way ND did it fine, but I want to wait a few months so I forget the question, then check if I can do it that way (ie I remembered the method)

Giant Lobster

HSC
Originally posted by AK Gumbi
properties of parabolas? projectile way?
How do you account for time then? since the trajectory is a parabola and the bird flies in a line, without time you could argue they "intersect" twice... Quite obvious. I wonder what your method was...

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
yeah consider this - people doing 3u dont easily get 100% in 2u. there is harder 2u in 3u, but 2u is still hard enough in some places. in the same way the comparison of 4u-3u

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
properties of parabolas? projectile way?
How do you account for time then? since the trajectory is a parabola and the bird flies in a line, without time you could argue they "intersect" twice... Quite obvious. I wonder what your method was...
Im not quite sure if i get u there, Lobster...?
Using projectiles, u derive all the normal eqns, and then do a number of simultaneous eqns, and substitutions, and then finally arrive at the answer (i cant remember exactly how many because i did it like 6months ago :)). But my soln is quite similar to ND's soln (if i remember correctly).
But my tutor did it by using some method involving the adv props of a parabola, and frankly, i cant exactly remember it now.

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
Originally posted by SpoRTsGaL
what chapters have ppl done in 3u at school and by urself and what book r ppl using at school?
I dont know abt u guys, but i always found studying a new topic in maths by myself was nearly impossible. I reckon, maths is one of those few subjects for me, in which if i dont have a teacher or tutor, im totally screwed :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)