getting a scooter (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
I'm thinking of getting a scooter, no not the one that kids have, but the ones that run on petrol! I think my car should be in use for travelling long distances only, I want to buy a scooter so i can travel for short distances, like to a local food store, post office, picking up things or even centrelink, looking for a job while on the dole and etc. I doubt getting a scooter is dangerous or would likely get stolen, since my suburb is relatively safe. Anyway, anyone would recommend me where to find one? Should I get dealership or private seller? 2nd hand or brand new? and do I need a special licence to drive one, or use my drivers licence?

:wave:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
You need a motorcycle license but because scooters are shit and auto it'll be easy to pass...unless you want to learn on a manual just in case.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
Scooters are cheap as hell new, so there's no need to buy 2nd hand. You don't need a special licence. They aren't anymore dangerous the a bicycle, as they don't actually go any faster than one. You will be hated by a large part of the road going community, but as long as you're ok with that there's no reason not to get one.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Sammy-Blue said:
Scooters are cheap as hell new, so there's no need to buy 2nd hand. You don't need a special licence. They aren't anymore dangerous the a bicycle, as they don't actually go any faster than one. You will be hated by a large part of the road going community, but as long as you're ok with that there's no reason not to get one.

Ok, but I still do need a motorcycle licence though?

btw I like being hated ;)

Sammy-Blue

HSC
chicky_pie said:
Ok, but I still do need a motorcycle licence though?

btw I like being hated ;)
Last time I checked you didn't, although it may differ between states.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Sammy-Blue said:
Last time I checked you didn't, although it may differ between states.

NSW?

Also I did do a online (motorcycle) test on the RTA website, I managed to get all the questions right, except the first question. :eek:

Sammy-Blue

HSC
Rather than get a bike licence that way you can take a 2day riding course instead. This means you don't have a learner period.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
ari89 said:
You need a motorcycle license but because scooters are shit and auto it'll be easy to pass...unless you want to learn on a manual just in case.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
You need a motorcycle license if it's more than 50cc and can't be pedalled. Getting a bike license is easy though, takes 2 days and then a computer test.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Sammy-Blue said:
Rather than get a bike licence that way you can take a 2day riding course instead. This means you don't have a learner period.
As the holder of a full motorcycle licence, what you have just posted is bullshit. The 2 day riding course is a compulsory test, in conjunction with the written RTA test, is the sum of the process for getting your L's.

In many other states you can ride a 50cc scooter if you hold a full car licence.

In NSW, you must get your motorcycle licence to ride a scooter. It's pretty easy to pass, and as soon as you've done you're L's test you're out on the road.

Get something of at least 100cc capacity so you can keep up in 70km/h zones. Preferably 2-stroke.

If you ever plan on going on the freeway, speeds over 70km/h, get a real motorcycle.

There's no reason not to buy a second hand bike. Get it checked out by a mechanic and save yourself some cash on buying new.

A CT110 aka Postie bike is the best value scooter you can buy. Cheap, unbreakable, every bike shop in australia can fix them.

These look sick http://www.sachsbikes.com.au/madass.html, and fairly well priced. Though the 125 has a full manual gearbox and clutch, so effectively a real motorcycle.

Don't buy any of the no-name asian brands. A honda or a yamaha if you want a traditional scoot. Honda have a decent cheap 100.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Riet said:
You need a motorcycle license if it's more than 50cc and can't be pedalled.
In Qld, WA, and mabye some others, but not in NSW.

Here, anything on 2 wheels with over 200watts of power is a motorcycle, and must be registered, complianced, and you must hold a licence to ride it on public roads.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Graney said:
As the holder of a full motorcycle licence, what you have just posted is bullshit. The 2 day riding course is a compulsory test, in conjunction with the written RTA test, is the sum of the process for getting your L's.

In many other states you can ride a 50cc scooter if you hold a full car licence.

In NSW, you must get your motorcycle licence to ride a scooter. It's pretty easy to pass, and as soon as you've done you're L's test you're out on the road.

Get something of at least 100cc capacity so you can keep up in 70km/h zones. Preferably 2-stroke.

If you ever plan on going on the freeway, speeds over 70km/h, get a real motorcycle.

There's no reason not to buy a second hand bike. Get it checked out by a mechanic and save yourself some cash on buying new.

A CT110 aka Postie bike is the best value scooter you can buy. Cheap, unbreakable, every bike shop in australia can fix them.

These look sick http://www.sachsbikes.com.au/madass.html, and fairly well priced. Though the 125 has a full manual gearbox and clutch, so effectively a real motorcycle.

Don't buy any of the no-name asian brands. A honda or a yamaha if you want a traditional scoot. Honda have a decent cheap 100.

That's a weird looking motor cycle lol. Anyway I'm thinking of getting a Zoot Sport 125, iz dat gud or baad?

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Graney said:
In Qld, WA, and mabye some others, but not in NSW.

Here, anything on 2 wheels with over 200watts of power is a motorcycle, and must be registered, complianced, and you must hold a licence to ride it on public roads.
My bad, it is 200W. I thought it was 50cc/200W. Apparently they're thinking about changing that though.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Graney said:
Or you cop a $1500 fine wooooooooo

edit: i know a few years back you could get around the 200watt rule as long as it had pedals

Last edited:

Sammy-Blue

HSC
Graney said:
"You do not need to hold your class RE motorbike (engine capacity of 250 millilitres [ml] or less) learner licence for six months during the two years before applying for a class RE (restricted) motorbike provisional, probationary or open licence."

I was not talking about NSW, I know nothing about the NSW licence system, other than it seems to suck.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Sammy-Blue said:
"You do not need to hold your class RE motorbike (engine capacity of 250 millilitres [ml] or less) learner licence for six months during the two years before applying for a class RE (restricted) motorbike provisional, probationary or open licence."

I was not talking about NSW, I know nothing about the NSW licence system, other than it seems to suck.
Well considering the majority of people here are from NSW including the TC, I suggest you fuck off if you aren't being helpful.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
HAI GUYZ IN YUROPS YOU DONT NEED A LICENSE TO RIDE A MOPED LOL LETS GO TO ROME AND RIDE FUCKING MOPEDS. YEEE HAWWW

Edit: but seriously, pretty sure you need one of these scooters:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)