getting a scooter (2 Viewers)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
walkahz said:
get A Real Fucking Motorbike!!!!!!!!!

I don't need a motorbike, unless I don't have a car, plus motorbikes are dangerous, scooters are cute and sexy, only if you're living in a good suburb. Imagine driving a scooter around Mt Druitt or something, I'll become a Abo target. :D

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
chicky_pie said:
I don't need a motorbike, unless I don't have a car, plus motorbikes are dangerous, scooters are cute and sexy, only if you're living in a good suburb. Imagine driving a scooter around Mt Druitt or something, I'll become a Abo target. :D
How do you figure motorbikes are more dangerous? Better handling and stability sounds safer to me...

Charizard

HSC
Riet said:
How do you figure motorbikes are more dangerous? Better handling and stability sounds safer to me...
I haven't really ridden either but surely turning would be easier and safer on a scooter ?

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
It's "easier" because they're inherently less stable with small tires and crappy rake and trail angles. A childrens bike is easier to turn too (at low speed) but would you want to ride one of them at 50-70 km/h?

Edit: An analogy is: it's easier to fall over then to maintain balance, but generally when you're walking/running you don't want to.

Last edited:

F2001

HSC
I dont know where this concept of motorcycles being unsafe, watch some big motogp crashes, even youtube headon collisions at 200km/h..., with proper gear the riders are alive with a few broken/fractured bones at most.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
F2001 said:
I dont know where this concept of motorcycles being unsafe, watch some big motogp crashes, even youtube headon collisions at 200km/h..., with proper gear the riders are alive with a few broken/fractured bones at most.
There's no trucks in MotoGP.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
F2001 said:
Yeah, a few fractured vertebrae is no big deal.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Yeh, motorcycles and scooters can legally ride in buslanes.

Edit: Except "Bus Only" lanes like on Anzac Parade.

quik.

HSC
Riet said:
There's no trucks in MotoGP.
Or curbs or poles or trees.

For around town and inner city stuff scooters are great, tiny amounts of petrol and most scooters with any grunt will cain it up to 60km. If you're going to end up doing longer commutes or anything (which it sounds like you are not) then a big scooter/motorcycle is the way to go.

As everyone said, you gotta go do the riding course and the computer test. If you do the riding course on a scooter your L's will be for scooter only, no bikes.

Also at your 'scooters are cute and sexy' bullshit, you have no metal cage around you to take the knocks, the only benefit a scooter has over a motorcycle is that generally you won't get a leg pinned if you crash (because of the step through). You should still be wearing helmet / gloves / jacket / at LEAST jeans (which won't really hold up) / riding shoes or boots.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I'd just do the motorcycle Ls thing even if I wanted a scooter. I've seen a bunch of manual scooters and its just nice to know you can ride a bike if you want to. And about the jeans: My friend came off his bike when a lady turned in front of him (he low-sided it avoiding her) and he managed to graze through most of the kevlar in his Draggins. If they were jsut normal jeans it would have been road-rash.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Draggin jeans are awesome.

My brother came off his bike on a turn going 80km/hr and he just got bruised up, his skin never came in contact with the road.

Kevlar is where it's at. Get it in your pants, gloves and jacket. Also, Dri-rider jackets are really good. Lots of different layers so you don't get hot/cold/wet.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
scarybunny said:
Draggin jeans are awesome.

My brother came off his bike on a turn going 80km/hr and he just got bruised up, his skin never came in contact with the road.

Kevlar is where it's at. Get it in your pants, gloves and jacket. Also, Dri-rider jackets are really good. Lots of different layers so you don't get hot/cold/wet.
Kevlar gloves? Screw that carbon fibre is where its at. If I ever get round to getting another bike I wanna get a jacket with a spine protector.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Kevlar over the ball of your hand is a good idea, though. Because the road eats through things surprisingly efficiently.

quik.

HSC
Most gloves are leather, which is better than kevlar at abrasion resistance. Kevlar gloves are lighter and more dextrous depending on the type I think, not sure.

I'm a fully sick racer *cough* so I've got these:

Which sort of brings up another point, I guess.

If you can afford to, spending what seems to be a lot now on quality gear, will work out in the end. Last years etc. Quality doesn't necessarily mean most expensive, either.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
If I could have afforded Alpinestars I would have got them lol. They were about twice as much as my gloves though and if I dropped $1000 on riding gear I wouldn't have been able to get any bike. In hindsight that wouldn't have mattered since my dad made me sell it anyways :(

Anyone want an RJays helmet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)