getting a shit uai 2 moro like 62 or something :( (1 Viewer)

kartik_007

HSC
kool thanx dude, it seems i have done alrite but i am scared about the uai thing and i even used the sam and i dont believe in it, i got 67% but i need 90% to get into my desired course.

Bokky

HSC
My year coordinator and many other people have told me that if your averaging 70s in your subjects and then you'll get a 60 UAI
then dont listen to ur coordinator. If ur averaging 70s in your hsc mark like i am, ur guaranteed to get just over 80 UAI. In the case of getting an average of 80s as your hsc mark for ur subjects, you will with no doubt crack the 90s. It sounds a bit farfetched to say that if u average 70s in ur subjects that u will get 60UAI, very rare case. Think about those students who get 100 UAI, they wont be averaging 110% in their subjects now will they?

as for 7th_sign, according to your HSC result, you will get a UAI anywhere in the order of 75-84. SAM is a sleezy piece of crap and DONT believe what it gives you. SAM DOESNT take into account PERSONAL RANK, SCHOOL RANK, ASSESSMENT MARK, and ASSESSMENT RANK.

Last edited:

Kutar Maggi

They call me nigga man
HSC
Bokky said:
then dont listen to ur coordinator. If ur averaging 70s in your hsc mark like i am, ur guaranteed to get just over 80 UAI. In the case of getting an average of 80s as your hsc mark for ur subjects, you will with no doubt crack the 90s. It sounds a bit farfetched to say that if u average 70s in ur subjects that u will get 60UAI, very rare case. Think about those students who get 100 UAI, they wont be averaging 110% in their subjects now will they?

as for 7th_sign, according to your HSC result, you will get a UAI anywhere in the order of 75-84. SAM is a sleezy piece of crap and DONT believe what it gives you. SAM DOESNT take into account PERSONAL RANK, SCHOOL RANK, ASSESSMENT MARK, and ASSESSMENT RANK.

dude, they use only your HSC marks to get the UAI, so does SAM. You'd be surprised how accurate it is

Bokky

HSC
dude, they use only your HSC marks to get the UAI, so does SAM. You'd be surprised how accurate it is
dude, no they dont. Why do u think it takes the computers 2 weeks to process
60 000 marks. U have no idea how many factors they take into account. Thats what makes this marking scheme so complex. If they used only hsc result to get ur UAI, they would be fired on the spot. Call up BoS and UAC if u dont believe. a coordinator at BoS as well as my extension maths teacher told me that rank is what matters, hsc results arent as important as rank.

PS: i forgot to mention. They also take into account how hard your subjects are. If your doing easy subjects and u score band 6s in every one of em, ofcourse they will pull ur marks down strictly. Whereas if you score band 4s in very hard subjects they will increase ur marks from HSC result into UAI result significantly. SAM also takes into account the difficulty of the subject by depicting particular units into a higher decile, say top 10% or 20% of a particular subject. Maths extension 2 will have a decile of 1 (marks pulled into average of top 5-10% in the state). Doing extension units will also have a major impact on your UAI. extension units are what u can call "gold" whereas subjects like physics, chemistry and biology are worth "silver". This can prove a difference between getting a UAI of 75 and getting a UAI of 85.

Last edited:

Kutar Maggi

They call me nigga man
HSC
Bokky said:
dude, no they dont. Why do u think it takes the computers 2 weeks to process
60 000 marks. U have no idea how many factors they take into account. Thats what makes this marking scheme so complex. If they used only hsc result to get ur UAI, they would be fired on the spot. Call up BoS and UAC if u dont believe. a coordinator at BoS as well as my extension maths teacher told me that rank is what matters, hsc results arent as important as rank.

PS: i forgot to mention. They also take into account how hard your subjects are. If your doing easy subjects and u score band 6s in every one of em, ofcourse they will pull ur marks down strictly. Whereas if you score band 4s in very hard subjects they will increase ur marks from HSC result into UAI result significantly. SAM also takes into account the difficulty of the subject by depicting particular units into a higher decile, say top 10% or 20% of a particular subject. Maths extension 2 will have a decile of 1 (marks pulled into average of top 5-10% in the state). Doing extension units will also have a major impact on your UAI. extension units are what u can call "gold" whereas subjects like physics, chemistry and biology are worth "silver". This can prove a difference between getting a UAI of 75 and getting a UAI of 85.
my freind, if that helps you sleep at night then u beilive. i sure hjope ur right cause that would mean i could get a UAI of 105.95, no? lol

Bokky

HSC
my freind, if that helps you sleep at night then u beilive. i sure hjope ur right cause that would mean i could get a UAI of 105.95, no? lol
you cant get over 100 because CIs can't calculate exponentially when they reach the high 90s. Thats like running 200 metres in a 100 metre race, why run the extra 100metres if u already finished??

Last edited:

Kutar Maggi

They call me nigga man
HSC
Bokky said:
you cant get over 100 because linear graphs can't calculate exponentially when they reach the high 90s. Thats like running 200 metres in a 100 metre race, why run the extra 100metres if u already finished??[/QUOTE]

because its fun to run.....duh.....

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
miss_gtr said:
SAM gives me 74 (not so great.. so like u know)

Kami said to me on MSN that UAI's could be higher this year because 2005 hsc had 3000 or so less students sitting the hsc than the year before...
hmmm.. Kami is knowledgeable..

I guess this lifts my spirits in the houre b4 the release. My God I am nervous, woke up about 4 times during the night..

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Bokky said:

Bokky. I said it b4 and I'll say it again. I just don't see you getting over 80....

billeh

HSC
Bokky said:

bokky, i dont call ppl stupid often,
but ur stupid!!!

HSC
Bokky said:
Think about those students who get 100 UAI, they wont be averaging 110% in their subjects now will they?
Thats because its skewed. People who get a 100.00 UAI, don't get 100% in every subject, do they? They in fact get lower then 100%.

If you get marks in the 70's, you will get a UAI in the 60's. This is because the mean mark for most subjects is a low band 4.

If you get marks in the 50's/60's, you can expect a UAI in the 30's.

Bokky said:
SAM is a sleezy piece of crap and DONT believe what it gives you. SAM DOESNT take into account PERSONAL RANK, SCHOOL RANK, ASSESSMENT MARK, and ASSESSMENT RANK.
Rank isn't used to calculate your UAI, the corresponding mark that you get from the rank, added to your exam mark and divided by 2 is: which is what is inputted into SAM.

- School rank has no bearing on the UAI.

SAM isn't perfect (which is reiterated by its creators time and time again) but it gives you a general idea.

Last edited:

niteshade1312

HSC
Bokky said:
In the case of getting an average of 80s as your hsc mark for ur subjects, you will with no doubt crack the 90s.
Not true.. very not true. All my subjecst were in the 80's and I didnt crack the 90 UAI. It's the stupid scaling and one can't predict the UAI.. sorry!

And Bokky, I dont know where you got your info from..:S

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I thought you did the HSC already 7th Sign (in 2005?)...

Anyhow, SAM wasn't very accurate for me... it said I'd get aroud 88ish when i entered raw school marks/what I expected to get in the HSC... yes I know these aren't "moderated" as such, but I had nothing to compare with.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Even though SAM is to be used only as a guide, it has been fairly accurate for people from my school.

It estimated my UAI to be 97.90 and I ended up with 98.20. A few of my friends had accurate estimates too, and I've heard from past HSC students from my school that their UAIs were only a little off from the estimate.

a8o

HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Even though SAM is to be used only as a guide, it has been fairly accurate for people from my school.

It estimated my UAI to be 97.90 and I ended up with 98.20. A few of my friends had accurate estimates too, and I've heard from past HSC students from my school that their UAIs were only a little off from the estimate.
Mine was off by 0.05. Estimated 98.6 got 98.55.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)