Getting into Cambridge from the humble HSC (1 Viewer)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Mate, there's nothing wrong for being in it just for the money, but clearly you know what you're doing and the money is a bonus, it's like killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

Just work hard, study hard and don't let anyone pull you down.

Good luck with it.

dionb2014

HSC
Yeah that is completely true. People have some perception that bankers a greedy and out to get them. They are just like teachers, nurses, police officers doing their bit for society and chasing their dream.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Yeah that is completely true. People have some perception that bankers a greedy and out to get them. They are just like teachers, nurses, police officers doing their bit for society and chasing their dream.
Economics nerds call it the 'invisible hand'.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Except, [as a sweeping generalisation] - noone becomes a cop, nurse or teacher for the money. People go into IB for the money (not all, but some - definitely more of a proportion than other professions).

X

xeuyrawp

PS, Apparently Cambridge and oxford will take you for an interview if you get over 98.5 in hsc.
No, you've misunderstood.

To apply to Oxford (I can't speak for Cambridge), you must have at least 98.5. Not all people who get over 98.5 get interviews, the same way that many AAA students from the UK don't get interviews.

So you need at least 98.5 and a good application to get an interview.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Except, [as a sweeping generalisation] - noone becomes a cop, nurse or teacher for the money. People go into IB for the money (not all, but some - definitely more of a proportion than other professions).
Is there anything wrong with doing stuff for money?

You can have in interest in a broad field and then go into one which offers the most money, it's a win win situation.

dionb2014

HSC
yeah that is true. I'm sure Lloyd Blankfien (goldman sachs CEO) is both interested in finance and money.

rebeka94

HSC
dude i'm only in year 9. I think I do reasonably well but I'm just trying to establish the possibility of getting those results
no offence, but why are you thinking about uni in the first place, you're in year 9, go out and have fun

dionb2014

HSC
look maybe I'm not as naturally smart as some of you guys and I have to start working earlier if I want to get 99+. I know it is easy to say just study in year 11 and 12 when your a genius but when your just an average kid that wants to do really well I have to put in more effort. IMO which may not be very reliable

furansugo

HSC
Oh my gosh, this is one of the most misinformed threads I've seen on this website.

Extracurriculars which aren't directly related to your field of study don't mean anything to Cambridge. I didn't apply, but I did consider it (before I decided to apply to US colleges instead). You'll need to be great at your chosen field to get in and you'll need to pass a pretty detailed interview, but your ATAR does not need to be 99.95 or anything.

dionb2014

HSC
I think that depending on the circumstances you are probably right pwaryuex. I mean obviously if they have 2 identical candidates they are more likely to pick the person that did some extracurricular that portrays skills of leadership or dedication.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)