getting into pharmacy (1 Viewer)

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Linda N said:
I felt relieved too how we could do any degree in any uni. I wanted to do Medical Science at Usyd, nsw or uts. But one thing i'm not sure about is transferring.

The lady told me that if i apply through the UAC for external transfer, they don't use ur UAI, ONLY the academic results in the ur first year full time tertiary study. I hope this is right.
i'm not too sure on that. It depends on what degree/faculty you're applying for. Some faculties might take your uai into account along with your tertiary marks. Other faculties will just look at your uni marks etc.

Linda N

HSC
N/A
Well, the lady at pharm faculty said they don't take my uai for transfer so i’m very thrilled with that, on the other hand I’m still vague about this.

I should ask another pharm person to ensure this is true.

Last edited:

dafidav

HSC
i am 100% certain that they do not look at ur uai if you have completed 1 full yr study or if you have completed your degree already

Linda N

HSC
N/A
dafidav said:
i am 100% certain that they do not look at ur uai if you have completed 1 full yr study or if you have completed your degree already
I hope so. Transferring is tough.:eek:

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
hey to all interested pharmacy students, i got this via e-mail, may be of interest.

>1. There are 77 new HECS places in Pharmacy in 2005, an increase from 120
>to 197 places. This is an increase of 60%.
>
>2. All students must sit the STAT test (run by UAC). The January tests
>are 8 January (register by 31 December) and 22 January (register by 13
>January). It's best if the students sit the test on 8 January - then they
>can be included in the Late Round of offers.

With so many new places, i'd say chances are the cutoff will drop.
Anyway, good luck to you all.....

nb - this is for USyd, in case that wasnt clear...

T

taketheredone

Mambomeg said:
hey to all interested pharmacy students, i got this via e-mail, may be of interest.

>1. There are 77 new HECS places in Pharmacy in 2005, an increase from 120
>to 197 places. This is an increase of 60%.
>
>2. All students must sit the STAT test (run by UAC). The January tests
>are 8 January (register by 31 December) and 22 January (register by 13
>January). It's best if the students sit the test on 8 January - then they
>can be included in the Late Round of offers.

With so many new places, i'd say chances are the cutoff will drop.
Anyway, good luck to you all.....

nb - this is for USyd, in case that wasnt clear...
this is from uac site http://www.uac.edu.au/courses/usyd/512401.htm
usyd cancelled pharmacy course at Orange ....... I think usyd simply move those hecs places back to sydney campus.....there will be more people fighting to get into sydney campus, unless people don't care which uni to study B.Pharmacy then they can add CSU on their preferences.

edit: those numbers just don't add up..... i mean at the moment there are 180 to 190 students per year at sydney campus .....mmmm could it be usyd cutdown the fee-paying places?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
77 new HECS places, not fee paying or other places, HECS places. And the extra places came from shutting down the nursing faculty, not orange, i'm pretty sure all the orange places just got transferred to CSU. The nursing HECS spots got distributed to Pharmacy and Animal Science, so that those faculties can enrol more HECS students.

The Uni cant just create HECS places unless the government gives them more money, so to increase places in one course, they must cut down in another.

If there are currently 190 pharmacy students, probably 70 or so or fee paying and international students. This just means that next year there will be 270 ish ppl in first year, 197 of them being HECS students.

profernity

HSC
Mambomeg said:
77 new HECS places, not fee paying or other places, HECS places. And the extra places came from shutting down the nursing faculty, not orange, i'm pretty sure all the orange places just got transferred to CSU. The nursing HECS spots got distributed to Pharmacy and Animal Science, so that those faculties can enrol more HECS students.

The Uni cant just create HECS places unless the government gives them more money, so to increase places in one course, they must cut down in another.

If there are currently 190 pharmacy students, probably 70 or so or fee paying and international students. This just means that next year there will be 270 ish ppl in first year, 197 of them being HECS students.
There is no way an extra 70 places will be added to the existing total simply because you can't fit that many people into Pharmacy Lecture Theatre. As a pharmacy student, I know from personal experience that it is already a struggle to fit the 200 students we have now. Unless the faculty re-organised its timetable such that half the students do night courses, it wouldn't be feasible to have more than 200 students, whether they like it or not.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
well, its happeing, i spose that the extra money will mean extra facilities or something, but it is definately happening, and it is starting next year.

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
another option is csu at wagga, uai is higher than usyd but easy to transfer after first year

ohne

HSC
profernity said:
There is no way an extra 70 places will be added to the existing total simply because you can't fit that many people into Pharmacy Lecture Theatre. As a pharmacy student, I know from personal experience that it is already a struggle to fit the 200 students we have now. Unless the faculty re-organised its timetable such that half the students do night courses, it wouldn't be feasible to have more than 200 students, whether they like it or not.
I am not sure about the exact number, but there are definantly extra places next year. They will probably have to reorganise lectures or something but there will definantly be more places.

tech.knockout

HSC
Say if you did every subject unit except the specific pharmacy courses in 1st and 2nd year.

if you transfer(after 2 years or more), do you still have to wait another 4 years to get a B pharmacy degree?

I guess so, since I think their 2 year fee paying master of pharmacy degree is intended for these students (and suck money out of them).

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
tech.knockout said:
Say if you did every subject unit except the specific pharmacy courses in 1st and 2nd year.

if you transfer(after 2 years or more), do you still have to wait another 4 years to get a B pharmacy degree?

I guess so, since I think their 2 year fee paying master of pharmacy degree is intended for these students (and suck money out of them).
I think only first year subjects are common. So when you get to second year, it is mostly pharmacy subjects in pharmacy. So i think if you don't get your transfer after 1 year, just finish your degree first and do graduate pharmacy.

tech.knockout

HSC
I really want to ask this, but the pharmacy office is closed until the 4th Jan.

To get into graduate pharmacy you need work expereince and to pass an interview, and of course a nice GPA. The entire course costs $46000 on top of my HECs burden.

Absolutely stupid. Might as well transfer to the Bpharmacy degree after finishing a degree(I want to try out for grad med given there are medical schools popping up everywhere), I only lose one years pay of money(compared to doing the masters), and that is only if I cant finish the specific pharmacy introductory courses and the second-year pharm courses in one year (Given that I finished some second year courses in Bpharmacy in my previous degree). Otherwise there is no reason for me to go for the masters.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)