Getting into selective high school 2021 year 11 entry (1 Viewer)

Kurrison

HSC
I had a friend who got into Sydney Boys, he had a mediocre report and was alright in terms of academics, however he did so many extra curricular activities and did really high level sporting that bumped his application and he made it. The school mainly focuses on selecting ppl that are able to represent them in external comps, and looking at the extracurriculars you do, I can say you have an equally fair chance, since they'd have to maintain a level of consistency.
Can you tell me what grades he have for his mediocre report?

Kurrison

HSC
Yeah I am not too sure about the specifics but they either open up a new class or have more spots, it's one of them
Pretty sure, Sydney Boys want sporty people with a good academic report that can help in Sydney Boys competitive sports competition. I know James Ruse already have an extra class.

Kurrison

HSC
That's pretty good, it should be enough for your application, in terms of academics
Cheers mate, do they finding interest if i did SRC and involved a lot of programs like donating leukemia and stop the plastics.

Kurrison

HSC
Yeah, I guess, extracurriculars tend to be useful (like volunteering, or environmental initiatives) for selective schools in general.
Lastly, I want to know how your friend successfully got into Sydney Boys with how much extracurriculars or co-curricular did he put in with a mediocre report? It would be nice if you tell me then that will boost my confidence in towards making an application for Sydney Boys.

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
You will, I assure you, if what you say is true, then you will get into a selective!
Just follow the tips I found online and from the verdict of other selective students to help you.

Just notice, in the minimal chance that you don't get in for whatever reason, it's okay to stay in your current school.

Damn, this is getting so much attention!

Last edited:

Kurrison

HSC
You will, I assure you, if what you say is true, then you will get into a selective!
Just follow the tips I found online and from the verdict of other selective students to help you.

Damn, this is getting so much attention!
Yeah, everything i said is true so i guess i can get into Sydney Boys with no test or Normanhurst boys with the test. What tips that i should follow? Haha, this went becoming attention from yesterday.

Kurrison

HSC
Oh I forgot to mention this (sorry I just realised this) but he had a brother that was attending Sydney Boys and apparently they give you priority over others if you have any siblings attending the school.

But still, you have a really good chance, I am sure you will get in considering your extracurriculars :)
Is it okay if i have my mum's good friend's son who went to Sydney Boys, is that still count or not?

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
I did say the Maths involved was at 5.3 Level and a couple "stumpers" to catch students off guard.

Some people suggest the general ability to be like an IQ test where you like have to determine which shape fits the box or whatever.
The English test is comprehension where you have to refer to a slab of text, then answer questions based on it. You may also have to write an essay.

I think it has to be immediate family or perhaps cousins?

Kurrison

HSC
Yeah, i already aware that Maths is expected to be 5.3 and stumpers, i need to practice. So the general ability is like an IQ test and an english test is similar to what i did at school. I heard 25 mins to write an essay is crazy hell.

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
I don't know, I have had a chat of how others that applied to SS that required a HAST as part of enrolment have told me this information, so please consider it with a grain of salt.

Kurrison

HSC
I don't know, I have had a chat of how others that applied to SS that required a HAST as part of enrolment have told me this information, so please consider it with a grain of salt.
what is SS?

Accurate

clix
HSC
I got in last year and was in the same position as you. I transfered from a very low ranked school (400+) and it wasn't even on the rankings before 2015 because it never got any band 6's.. anyways here's my 2 cents.

As others have said Abstract is like an IQ test, for maths just brush up on 5.3 topics, for Reading I guess just be good at analytical skills, they tend to slide poems and all that.

For academic awards, I attached ICAS, AMC High Distinctions and Distinctions, I also got Distinction in Australian History, Geography Competition and Rio Tinto big Science Competition. I played Football too outside of school and I attached that to my application. Good luck and I hope you get in.

Kurrison

HSC
I got in last year and was in the same position as you. I transferred from a very low ranked school (400+) and it wasn't even on the rankings before 2015 because it never got any band 6's.. anyways here's my 2 cents.

As others have said Abstract is like an IQ test, for maths just brush up on 5.3 topics, for Reading I guess just be good at analytical skills, they tend to slide poems and all that.

For academic awards, I attached ICAS, AMC High Distinctions and Distinctions, I also got Distinction in Australian History, Geography Competition and Rio Tinto Big Science Competition. I played Football too outside of school and I attached that to my application. Good luck and I hope you get in.
I see, thanks for the advice on the exam. Wow, that a lot of academic awards.. is school awards still count it? If i have less academic awards but have more extracurriculars which is still fine? What school did you get in? Thanks, i hope i can get in.

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
He goes to Fort Street High School, given by FSHS.

Sorry for throwing you under the bus, but if you put it your bio, then it means you are content with sharing it.

Kurrison

HSC

Sorry for throwing you under the bus, but if you put it your bio, then it means you are content with sharing it.
Oh, Fort Street...

Last edited:

Accurate

clix
HSC

Ah shoot you've exposed me. I applied to both Girraween and Fort and got into both. I didn't attach any school awards because my school didn't give any academic ones out, but if they helped your application I suppose you could.

Kurrison

HSC
Ah shoot you've exposed me. I applied to both Girraween and Fort and got into both. I didn't attach any school awards because my school didn't give any academic ones out, but if they helped your application I suppose you could.
Like my current school helping my application out? Shoot, i have a bad relationship with my current school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)