Girl, 12, 'approved for sex change' (1 Viewer)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
your.knee said:
I support her decision but when I say emotional distress I mean that because of the media attention, people are prone to openly disagree with what she is doing. And then there may be the personal responses she gets from friends, family or people that know her, that is, if they know its her in the media. I mean, if she can decisively make such a big choice, surely she can handle the "emotional ramifications", right?
But then that goes with the other side of the argument too; they may see her as incapable of sensibly making a decision and therefore cannot emotionally handle the consequences.

I also think that because we will never know the FULL story that it makes it harder for me to support it or not. E.g. I see it as the girl making the decision by herself and I support that, but if the mother was pressuring her then I wouldn't support that.
That's fair enough. I would doubt that the mother pressured her into it (trying to take the perspective of a parent here...although I've never been one myself). But it's something to consider.

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
Yeah its hard to put myself in that hypothetical because
a) I'm not a mother
b) I could never see myself pressuring my son or daughter into that position.

its true imo, that the possibility of the child making the decision themselves is more likely than the mother influencing their decision.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Another question as well. Could someone outline exactly what they mean when they refer to emotional consequences? Because I have tended to get the feeling, when discussing this sort of thing, that people are prone to trot out the "emotional ramifications" argument without either thinking about what they actually are and what a 12 year old's true capacity is to handle them (not just assuming they can't), or elaborating about what they mean.
What i meant by the "emotional consequences" is that she would still face lots of stress and pressure by her whole society. Dont you think that she'd constantly get teased and called a 1000 different things by her peers at school. The sex change can affect her emotionally in so much ways even after the operation. I read somewhere that people who do a sex change surgery usually suffer from depression after their surgery. SO she'd still be crippled and emotionally hurt both ways, if you come to think about it.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
MaNiElla said:
What i meant by the "emotional consequences" is that she would still face lots of stress and pressure by her whole society. Dont you think that she'd constantly get teased and called a 1000 different things by her peers at school. The sex change can affect her emotionally in so much ways even after the operation. I read somewhere that people who do a sex change surgery usually suffer from depression after their surgery. SO she'd still be crippled and emotionally hurt both ways, if you come to think about it.
Yeah, it's a fair point and something which I would hope and assume her mother has prepared her for and will support her through. I take the view that while she won't come out of the gender reassignment totally emotionally unscathed, the damage that would be done by refusing her the treatment would be in the long term much worse.

zstar

HSC
N/A
It's great that he/she is gonna become a man because then I can beat his/her ass.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)