Giving up Facebook for Year 12 (1 Viewer)

oliverfront

HSC
Hi all, my parents are trying to make me give up Facebook for all of year 12, because apparently its what the experts say and it is impossible to do well while using it. Are any of you giving up or at least reducing the amount of time you will spend on it for the next 12 months? Thoughts?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
There's no need to give it up

Have a bit of self-control and you'll be fine.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
No need.

You do still need to have a life.

Find a balance.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi all, my parents are trying to make me give up Facebook for all of year 12, because apparently its what the experts say and it is impossible to do well while using it. Are any of you giving up or at least reducing the amount of time you will spend on it for the next 12 months? Thoughts?
Your parents are lying.

enoilgam

HSC
One of the biggest misconceptions with the HSC is that you need to put your life on hold for the year. The fact is, having other things to do apart from work is quite beneficial for your studies. Balancing them so that they have a beneficial impact is all about time management and self-control.

Roy216

HSC
Your parents are lying.
No there actually was some research done in America that showed those without facebook tended to achieve better grades than those with facebook, but it's really all about self-control

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
No there actually was some research done in America that showed those without facebook tended to achieve better grades than those with facebook, but it's really all about self-control
Care to share?

enoilgam

HSC
According to the OP, this "research" stated that it was impossible to do well whilst using facebook. Whilst facebook is certainly a distraction for many people, it is by no means impossible to do well if you use it.

Thats mainly because most of the problems people have with procrastination arent caused by Facebook (or other things), but by a lack of self-control. To be honest, people who lack self control will inevitably find themselves being distracted by something else if they take away facebook - because that strategy doesnt address their underlying problem (i.e. a lack of self control).

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
There's no true control to those experiments though IIRC. There's a lot of other factors at play, that it can't be isolated as a cause.

oliverfront

HSC
Cheers for the replies, I'm just going to have to convince my parents that I need a balance, and that I have self control.

Roy216

HSC
According to the OP, this "research" stated that it was impossible to do well whilst using facebook. Whilst facebook is certainly a distraction for many people, it is by no means impossible to do well if you use it.

Thats mainly because most of the problems people have with procrastination arent caused by Facebook (or other things), but by a lack of self-control. To be honest, people who lack self control will inevitably find themselves being distracted by something else if they take away facebook - because that strategy doesnt address their underlying problem (i.e. a lack of self control).
Yeah of course you can do well, but how distracted you get by facebook, youtube, boredofstudies depends on the individual

enoilgam

HSC
Yeah of course you can do well, but how distracted you get by facebook, youtube, boredofstudies depends on the individual
As I said, if you lack self-control, you will still procrastinate even without those things.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
No everything in moderation. I used facebook less in Year 12 than previous school yers, but it's so important to have balance. I went overseas during Year 12, still did extra curriculars, still spent a little time on facebook...still had a life I guess and I did quite well internally.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I think this comment sums up that research fairly well.

Among the comments to the story was this one, from "I'moverhere" in Britain: "Believe me, if it isn't Facebook, it's something else. There's always something ready to distract a bored mind. While you're at it why not do a similar survey relating to consoles, television, texting, radio, football practice and staring into space?

enoilgam

HSC

Among the comments to the story was this one, from "I'moverhere" in Britain: "Believe me, if it isn't Facebook, it's something else. There's always something ready to distract a bored mind. While you're at it why not do a similar survey relating to consoles, television, texting, radio, football practice and staring into space?
Pretty much sums up what I have been trying to say.

Roy216

HSC

again it's all about the individual

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Ahh, I quit Facebook 3 hours ago , and im procrastinating here, so Facebook is not the issue.

Roy216

HSC
one thing you don't want to do is get caught up in tv shows this year i have watched season after season of the walking dead, breaking bad and game of thrones, definitely not a good idea :p

madharris

HSC
N/A
I gave it up for year 12
Best decision ever!
However, you need to tell your friends to tell you when they're going out and stuff so you can have a balance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)