• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Gmn104 (1 Viewer)

onur91

HSC
N/A
If I do this unit, how much will I actually learn?
Would I be able to speak in German?
Also is it important to do GMN105 once this has been completed?

Thanks.

X

xeuyrawp

The textbook they use is Kontakte - not sure if they're now using the 2004 or the 2008 edition. In three years of German (GMN 104, 105, and 233), you'll work through the whole book.

The course obviously teaches you to speak German, however you're not going to be fluent after one semester, if that's what you're asking. Completing GMN105 is 'important' if you want to improve your German beyond what's covered in 104.

Peartie

HSC
in GMN104 my bet is you will basically learn to say what your name is, where you live, count to 10 and a little bit more but really really basic stuff...itll give you a grounding but not much more...if you want to be 'fluent' in any language you really need immersion in the language and culture (ie living in that country) but university level german/any language is a really good basis.

Purely doing theoreical german though shows, and in no way is as good as learning 'street' german, you will be able to speak to people/live there but youll sound like a stuck up person half the time...you need to learn colloquialisms as well...and the german teachers @ mac are good with this...but no one is better than a german that is in constant contact with the changing language!!!

wootwt

HSC
Does anyone know the textbook for GMN287 (intermediate I) this semester?

Some people have told me you keep using the one from 100 level ('kontakte'?) but the co-op list (link) has 'em neu'.

X

xeuyrawp

Does anyone know the textbook for GMN287 (intermediate I) this semester?

Some people have told me you keep using the one from 100 level ('kontakte'?) but the co-op list (link) has 'em neu'.
You finish Kontakte by the end of GMN133 though, so I doubt it's that.

Peartie

HSC
GMN 200 and the first 1 300level (at least, maybe the first 2) you use Em neu....well I did and i assume that it will be the same still...

RohanZ

Pan fried Steak
HSC
There aren't any tutes for GMN 104, are there?
My estudent is showing that I haven't completed my registration in GMN 104, even though i've enrolled in the 1st of two classes available (lectures).

thanks in advance, guyz

EDIT: nevermind, turns out i missed enrolling in my second lecture. Will have to give the department a ring and sort this out.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)