going in Hsc with 11 units (1 Viewer)

W.L

HSC
hey guys. umm im hoping u's can help me on this or atleast allow me to understand my situation better.. i currently am doing 13 units, 3 unit maths, adv eng, phys, chem, ipt & Ancient.. & im probably going to drop ipt in year 12.. leaving me with 11 units and since only top 10 units count towards uai, doesnt dat mean my 3U maths automatically doesnt get counted? + wat u guys fink of heading into hsc with 13 units? im doing pretty good at ipt atm 50.5/53 for half yearlys, only dropping it cus of the scaling.. =/

HSC
W.L said:
hey guys. umm im hoping u's can help me on this or atleast allow me to understand my situation better.. i currently am doing 13 units, 3 unit maths, adv eng, phys, chem, ipt & Ancient.. & im probably going to drop ipt in year 12.. leaving me with 11 units and since only top 10 units count towards uai, doesnt dat mean my 3U maths automatically doesnt get counted? + wat u guys fink of heading into hsc with 13 units? im doing pretty good at ipt atm 50.5/53 for half yearlys, only dropping it cus of the scaling.. =/
no. do not drop because of scaling. you are going quite well at it, you only drop crap scaling subjects if youre struggling at them, not because they scale low.

if you get better in 3u maths then say chem for example, then 3 unit math will get counted in your uai and only one out of the two chem units will be counted in UAI

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
If you own IPT, then scaling won't affect you in any real sense.

As for your question, if you do 11 units, and a 2 unit subject is your worst subject, then they'll take 1 unit of that subject and count it along with your extension 1 maths unit.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Don't drop IPT. If you're ripping it, you're ripping it. Scaling's not going to change that.

W.L

HSC
oh ok.. i understand how it works now.. thanks to all those dat replied =] ... i guess i shudnt drop ipt aye.. not sure if its better going in with 13 units or 11 units though, i was thinking of dropping the subject that im doing poorly in like physics.. im coping with 13 units atm, is it common to go into hsc with 13 units?

W.L

HSC
Without Wings said:
Some people go in with 13 units, so you definately won't be the only one. Keep in mind that you can choose to drop a subject part way through the hsc year. This will give you more time to see how you are going/which subjects you are enjoying (as the hsc content is different to the prelim) and even if you want to drop a subject....
oh really.. thats alright then, i guess ill start with 13 units & if it gets too much in yr 12 ill drop one.. ill see how it goes i guess theres still a while to go.. next year seems like such a big year, dont want to stress out.. thanks for your help =]

Lizzybear18

HSC
i do 11 units and i thought that my extension wouldn't be counted but it will be if you do really well in it. If you are doing well and coping, keep with it but if you find it too hard give it up, cause you don't want anything keeping you from getting the best UAI.

cccclaire

HSC
A lot of our teachers tell us not to do 11 units so we have 'back-up'. For example, if you write your number wrong on one of your tests you still qualify for a UAI.

question, can you do only 11 units in year 11?

cccclaire

HSC
Without Wings said:
You have to have a minimum of 12 units for preliminary to be eligible for the hsc.
thats such a stupid rule, whats the point of doing a subject for year 11 if you're planning on dropping it for year 12.

W.L

HSC
cccclaire said:
thats such a stupid rule, whats the point of doing a subject for year 11 if you're planning on dropping it for year 12.
i concur.. haha lets just hope none of us ever write our number wrong in the hsc, but yeah i get ur point..
13 units hmm.. i dont want to drop 3 unit though..

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
I'll either be doing 10 or 12 units in the HSC, depending on whether I drop Ancient or not. I don't particularly like the subject, don't think I'd do well in it, don't really feel motivated to do well in it, but considering I'll be doing EE2 I kind of want that back-up incase the markers rip my major to shreds. Eh.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
humglish said:
I'm doing 13

I dominate

(although, I'm completing 1U this holidays, so it kinda doesn't count...)
my mum wanted me to study Biology during my spare time just because I did not choose to study it in school as part of my HSC studies, WTF ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)