Going on holiday while uni is on? (1 Viewer)

Flamethrower

HSC
Is it ok to take 3 weeks holiday during semester 1? Is it possible?

michaeljennings

HSC
I think most courses require a certain amount of attendance in tutorials. I think for my courses last year I needed at least 8 out of 11 tutorials so you might wanna check what it is for the courses you are doing.

R

RishadM

UNSW has a general 80% attendance policy. So unless your course specifically says something different (which they probably don't) you need to attend 80% of your tutorials and 80% of your labs. Obviously no one checks the lectures.
Most university labs/tutorials start week 2. So you'll end up having 12 tutorials and labs, maybe less because of public holidays. In the case of 12 labs/tutorials, 80% means you need to attend at least 10 of your labs and tutorials. So the most you'll be able to unofficially go on holidays is 2 weeks. You can apply officially for leaves and such, so you'd have to check that option.
If you take an 'unofficial' holidays (don't tell the university), you can probably get away with 2 weeks. And I am almost definite from what I've heard and experienced that you only need the 80% attendance if you need to qualify for a pass conceded - otherwise they don't really care about your attendance if it's not idiotically low.
But you do get an official 1 week mid-semester break. You could have two unofficial holiday weeks adjacent to that - giving you three. But this probably won't be likely as you'll have some mid-sem tests both just before and just after the mid-sem break - depending on your subjects.
Also missing out on 3 weeks of labs/tutorials for all of your subjects will leave you pretty behind and you might come back clueless. I wouldn't really suggest having a holidays unless it's for a very special reason in which case the university should give you a break maybe.

Flamethrower

HSC
>.< Its a family trip, it'll be nice to be on it.

Im taking Quantative anylsis (ECON1202), economic analysis (ECON1401), FINS1612 Capital markets and Institution, International business finance (FINS3616)

You guys think its really possible after considering the subjects? Should i pick different courses which I doubt i will do.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Should be fine since 1st week there are no tutorials in accordance to the 80% rule. Only bummer would be those hand-in tutorial work that count to final assessment.

Flamethrower

HSC
Oh im going from 7 april to 26 april (3 weeks until the end of the school holidays), however, mid-sem break is from 29 Mar to 7 April .... Not sure if i can go, hopefully i can.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh im going from 7 april to 26 april (3 weeks until the end of the school holidays), however, mid-sem break is from 29 Mar to 7 April .... Not sure if i can go, hopefully i can.
Aren't things usually due around that time?

R

RishadM

Should be fine since 1st week there are no tutorials in accordance to the 80% rule. Only bummer would be those hand-in tutorial work that count to final assessment.
Oh, I don't do commerce or know how those classes work. But yeah, if you have to do weekly work that has assessment %, then obviously you'd be very disadvantaged missing out 3 weeks. Also since it's just a family trip, for leisure, the university probably won't give you leave =[
Maybe your family can re-plan it for the month holiday after semester 1 and before semester 2. Hopefully.

a19901213

HSC
As long as you keep your tutorial attendance above 80%, it should be fine. I once took a two weeks holiday during the uni semester, and everything went fine afterward.

But just like someone mentioned above, there are always some assignments needed to be handed in or mid-exam being set during that period of time. And even if you manage to get back before all these things, the chance for you to complete assignments on time or getting good result in mid-exam is probably very low.

BTW I did ECON1202, FINS3616 last semester, FINS3616 should be fine even you miss out some lectures and tutorials. BUT trust me, you probably wouldn't want to miss out most of lecutres for ECON1202 if you are not that good at math.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
also be aware that that's a helluva lot of work to catch up on and even if lectures are recorded, it's not really a great substitute for actually attending.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)