Going to be short of 91 atar? (1 Viewer)

M@ster P

HSC
Hey guys! my HSC is this year and I've used many atar calculators and it says I'm going to be 2 - 3 atar off from my course which is civil engineering.

It says i would get 89ish but I think I'm being abit too lenient on a few subjects.

Just asking you guys if I'm 1 - 2 ATAR off my course, does that mean i cannot get in ? i know all about the bonus points but it still worries me :(

Can I still apply for the course with an atar lower than the cut-off and have chances of getting in ?

You certainly can. From what I have experienced and observed there are two systems which allow you to increase your chances to gain entry in engineering or specifically civil in your case. First is the bonus point system which I'm pretty sure your aware of, the uni awards you up to a bonus of up to 6 points I believe for doing relevant engineering subjects such as math,phys etc..

The other is called the FEAS interview/application. It is basically like an interview style scenario for students who don't think they will get the required cutoff mark. They ask you questions about your motivations in doing engineering and experiences you had which demonstrate your engineering thinking. I know this because I went through the process.

Also back in 2009 the civil engineering cut off was like 88, and when the cutoffs came out it was 91. And I know some people who got in with 86 atar. But in summary do the FEAS thing if they still do it.

Thief

!!
HSC
oh is it? UTS has an inbuilt internship right?
Yes, you spend two semesters working - and I think you can choose when to take them, although not in first year.
And UNSW doesn't have that so their engineering degrees are a year shorter.

iampeterr

King
HSC
Uni Grad
The other is called the FEAS interview/application. It is basically like an interview style scenario for students who don't think they will get the required cutoff mark. They ask you questions about your motivations in doing engineering and experiences you had which demonstrate your engineering thinking. I know this because I went through the process.
oh ! :O i didn't know about this. Thank you so much for informing me :)

Yes, you spend two semesters working - and I think you can choose when to take them, although not in first year.
And UNSW doesn't have that so their engineering degrees are a year shorter.
its always good to have a little experience before graduating. :D

TheStallion

HSC
You get the same experience at UNSW - in any B.Eng you do, it's a requirement for graduation to do at least 60 days. At UNSW we just don't shove it into the degree making it annoyingly longer, we do it in our own time in summer or winter breaks.

failwhale

HSC
Yep you still have a chance, i think you get interviewed or something? something called FEAS, not too sure. my mate got in engineering with 86 atar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)