Going to Melb Uni (1 Viewer)

apple2

HSC
Hey I was just wondering if there were many people out there on BOS who are moving to or considering going to Melbourne Uni next year, what they might be studying, any opinions on new generation degrees and where they might be living :) .

And I was also wondering if any current uni students could tell me what kind of stuff you get up to in O Week at Melb Uni.

jazzmuzik

HSC
hey there, i just got home from a week in Melbourne for my first time and I'm in Love :) I actually applied to VCA (Victorian College of the Arts) which is affiliated with Melbourne Uni but pretty seperate. Hopefully i'll get n which means i can move to melbourne next year!! so excited (fingers crossed) I'm from country NSW. When we were in Melbourne we tried to check out accomodation, cause VCA is not directly with the uni I didnt apply to any uni colleges although that might be a good option for you. Instead i looked at the UniLodge chain, which are apartment style student and public accomodation. Prices Vary from about $180-$300+ a week with and without utilities. If i head down there i will probably stay at unilodge but there are a few there so it will depend on transport and location and availability. I'm all new to the whole Melbourne thing too but we'll see how i go..after a few months i will meet ppl at VCA and maybe move in with them. Overall though Melbourne seems like a very easy, livable city good public transport cheap food etc, compared to Sydney.

Let me know what you choose to do..

apple2

HSC
Yeah I'm in pretty much a similar situation to you jazzmuzik, moving to melbourne from country NSW, though I am looking at going to a college at the Uni. Uni lodge doesn't sound to bad though if I can't get in. So do you share with many people and do you get to choose who those people are and are they very good apartments? So are you doing a music degree at VCA? I'm guessing from ur title. Well I'm interested in doing science. I agree, Melbourne seems way better than Sydney, I don't know if that's just cause I know it better but still, it should be good.

The new generation degrees are part of the Melbourne model which the uni has brought in condensing the degrees they offer down to i think 6 main ones. You can find out more info from their website.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
jazzmuzik - you could quite easily live on or near the main Parkville campus because the VCA (which is officially the Faculty of the Victorian College of the Arts) is only one 20 minute tram ride away. Or it's about the same if you're on a bicycle. I guess it depends on whether your music instrument will fit on the bike.

Anyway, Unilodge isn't your only alternative.

jazzmuzik said:
hey there, i just got home from a week in Melbourne for my first time and I'm in Love :) I actually applied to VCA (Victorian College of the Arts) which is affiliated with Melbourne Uni but pretty seperate. Hopefully i'll get n which means i can move to melbourne next year!! so excited (fingers crossed) I'm from country NSW. When we were in Melbourne we tried to check out accomodation, cause VCA is not directly with the uni I didnt apply to any uni colleges although that might be a good option for you. Instead i looked at the UniLodge chain, which are apartment style student and public accomodation. Prices Vary from about $180-$300+ a week with and without utilities. If i head down there i will probably stay at unilodge but there are a few there so it will depend on transport and location and availability. I'm all new to the whole Melbourne thing too but we'll see how i go..after a few months i will meet ppl at VCA and maybe move in with them. Overall though Melbourne seems like a very easy, livable city good public transport cheap food etc, compared to Sydney.

Let me know what you choose to do..

jazzmuzik

HSC
Unilodge offers different size rooms, some you share a kitchen bathroom etc, some you dont (they are self contained).
I'm hoping to do a Theatre Production course. I got a workshop call back and now awaiting acceptance. I also got shortlisted for NIDA yesterday for design, so by the end of this week i should know where i'm going and what im doing. I could now end up in Sydney or Melbourne.

RogueAcademic: Thanks for the advice about Parkville. To be honest i am pretty out of the Melb Uni loop, and i didnt do my research about colleges there. I didnt realise you could stay at there college and study at VCA. Anyway if it happens i go to melb i'll def look into those options, if its not too late which it may be. anyway ta

jazzmuzik

HSC
I just got into NIDA!!!!! :) so guess change of plan.. i'm off to Sydney

Panakea

HSC
I live at Unilodge! It's awesome, the people are really great. The colleges are massively expensive.

Joel8945

HSC
Hey I was just wondering if there were many people out there on BOS who are moving to or considering going to Melbourne Uni next year, what they might be studying, any opinions on new generation degrees and where they might be living :) .

And I was also wondering if any current uni students could tell me what kind of stuff you get up to in O Week at Melb Uni.
I'm doing a bachelor of science degree (a new generation degree) and its going very well (but busy with homework). The only thing that annoyed me was that I couldn't do chemistry! Because at the moment I'm considering majoring in chemical systems, mechanical systems, electrical systems or physics. The new generation degrees give you a broader view of what your studying (with your breadth), but, in your major you devote 4 subjects to what really interests you (your major). After completing this degree getting employed is an option but you can do postgraduate degrees. For scientists or engineers (myself) getting a postgraduate degree is a necessity (especially physicists needing a PhD) as it will lift your starting salary significantly and demand for people with a post-graduate degree will be higher than for people with a bachelors degree.

As for O-week not much really happened, yet, what actually happens is determined by the person you are! I spent most of the time attending sessions on time management, referencing, getting H1's, etc.

gcspsp

HSC
...For scientists or engineers (myself) getting a postgraduate degree is a necessity (especially physicists needing a PhD) as it will lift your starting salary significantly and demand for people with a post-graduate degree will be higher than for people with a bachelors degree...
I dont believe thats a very accurate statement. I think what you should be saying is that post-grad degrees will be more acceptable over a bachelors. But that may not always be the case.

Your level of education is not going to affect the level of demand in society...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)