Going to O-Week by yourself? (2 Viewers)

Chris.

HSC
tallkid34 said:
I was at O-week at UNSW today for arts/social science. As soon as I got out of the auditorium, I saw guys from my school straight away (one guy bear hugged me from behind). It was fun meeting up with people from my school though I found it quite difficult trying to meet new people. I did manage to talk to a few but they were friends of a friend, haha. For me, Oweek is ironic as I spent today catching up with my schoolmates instead of meeting new individuals entirely.

I'll try my luck tomorrow though (business faculty welcome...).
would u say it was boring if u didnt know any1 there?

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
I'm a UTSer. Lucky, i have one friend going to the same uni as me. Besides that, i haven't met anyone yet bah.

jest

HSC
i'll be going to the usyd cumberland orientation on my own, i'm pretty excited cos i haven't yet seen the campus properly and it would be cool to meet other people doing my course

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
I actually choose USYD for commerce because 100% of my friends are going UNSW (& it's closer).

Might bump into a few workplace mates, but couldn't care less. The whole pt of going Oweek is to make friends.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Or more to the point that misui was able to place her educational wants, needs and goals over her high school friends making the right decision for her and her future.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Chris. said:
would u say it was boring if u didnt know any1 there?
Yes. I got extremely bored in the afternoon (was meant to stick around for last night) so I just went home. Today should be interesting though...

lala2

Banned
HSC
You'll be fine. I'm going to O-Week by myself (probably) and I'm in second year! I sent out an e-mail but no-one seems to be responding. I'll probably rejoin the mailing lists of all the clubs I want to join this year, and just wonder around and pretend to be a naive first year. :p Anyway, uni is about being independent and meeting new people--you can't drag your friends with you to every class and the people who I have found do that are just so.......anal. Honestly. Grow up peoples! Uni is for meeting new people, not sticking around with old friends...*mutters about people in pharm*

karoooh

HSC
s1mplykat said:
hey! i went to my academic advisory day solo, and because of that i was able to meet and greet other students and make new friends.. so i plan to go to orientation on my own too, going alone isn't necessarily a bad thing, it provides an opportunity for you to step out of your comfort zone and mingle...

HEY KAROOOH!! :wave: you've posted here YAY! hahaah orientation soon! are you excited? and dw, i wont spoil Hero's for you =P
LYKE HAI KAT! Good on you and the independance!

I went yesterday arvo, it wasn't too bad! Met and spoke to a couple new people and then ran into a couple primary school friends who I hadn't spoken to in years! So I hung out with them at the round house for the night with their friends. So it was quite good!

The top of my head's sunburnt though. GAH. :(

Anyway, everyone, just go to orientation and explore the uni on your own. Even though you mightn't see the people you meet again, see it as practice if you're nervous about meeting new people! But really - We should be old enough to have such social skills.

Last edited:

blOwfish

HSC
I'm a UTSer. Lucky, i have one friend going to the same uni as me. Besides that, i haven't met anyone yet bah. Yesterday 7:28 PMHey! im in the same position as you, ive got friends attending the same uni and also the same course, but 3 of them are female.. lOlz.. i need some male friends hahaha

so you doing business?

Chris.

HSC
i went by myself 2day...pretty boring..i talked to 2 random people while waiting in line for my student id card. the guy trying to sing and beatbox at the same time sucked. i also do not like the bible people.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Chris. said:
i went by myself 2day...pretty boring..i talked to 2 random people while waiting in line for my student id card. the guy trying to sing and beatbox at the same time sucked. i also do not like the bible people.
Haha. Those campus bible study people are EVERYWHERE. My friend and I gave fake details to one of them so that he would just go away. I didn't stick around long today (joined some clubs) so I just went home. Back on friday though...

karoooh

HSC
Re: Bible people.

Fuck they're everywhere. I got bout 5 of their pamphlets on Monday. :\ And the ones near the entrance acosted me, thinking I was an International student. And when I realised what they thought, I told them I wasn't, thinking they were only trying to target the International students. They overzealously took out a different bundle of pamphlets and gave me one anyway.

Why are they everywhere?!

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
karoooh said:

Fuck they're everywhere. I got bout 5 of their pamphlets on Monday. :\ And the ones near the entrance acosted me, thinking I was an International student. And when I realised what they thought, I told them I wasn't, thinking they were only trying to target the International students. They overzealously took out a different bundle of pamphlets and gave me one anyway.

My year 12 business studies teacher gave me fair warning that these guys were 'somewhat' aggressive...

I don't mind them so much (even though they've infiltrated half of UNSW) but if there were people from Hillsong coming up to me, I would just say "FUCK OFF!"

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
Yeh, I see those bible people around in the streets. They try to hand out pamphlets and be friendly as well. I reckon theres too much of them around and i find them irritating. I mean people would be much happier if they tried handing out $5 notes instead of those pamphets.

Chris.

HSC
i got one bible guy who couldnt speak good english himself, so i was pretty lucky. its strange how i talked to more people who couldnt speak english then those who could. who was lining up for their id cards 2day...the blonde chick outside the room trying to get details of people today was hoott.

xxPanDa

HSC
karoooh said:

OMG they thought i was internationall too, the guy near entrance
he asked where was i from... i was like CITY! lol
his like what? o so ur a local.. and he just gave me another one of those pamplets, i got so much...
the next time someone offered me one i showed them my open hand
with a scrunched up pamplet:)

i almost got lured into the free BBQ, until i saw the bible thing
i got lured into free coffee and stuff, i saw a big table, with a group of ppl sitting around it talking, i was liek o god...me and my friend managed to escape that arcade place
by saying that i had a faculty welcome!

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I was standing in line for the BBQ on tuesday with a friend of mine from USYD. Then some bible study guy spoke to us for about 20 mins, just goin on and on about the organisation. What annoys me the most is that I already believe in Christ/I'm christian but these guys still won't quit about joining their group...

I just ended up giving them fake details of where I live, haha.

klaw

HSC
xxPanDa said:
OMG they thought i was internationall too, the guy near entrance
he asked where was i from... i was like CITY! lol
his like what? o so ur a local.. and he just gave me another one of those pamplets, i got so much...
the next time someone offered me one i showed them my open hand
with a scrunched up pamplet:)

i almost got lured into the free BBQ, until i saw the bible thing
i got lured into free coffee and stuff, i saw a big table, with a group of ppl sitting around it talking, i was liek o god...me and my friend managed to escape that arcade place
by saying that i had a faculty welcome!
The BBQ was fine... they didn't try to get us to join or anything... I just took my free lunch and left

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)