Good Headphone brands (1 Viewer)

Examine

same
HSC
If you can link me/show me where to buy real new M50s for $125 then I'll buy them ASAP.
Mine cost $164 with free express shipping. (Australia based so got it the day after I ordered). If you can wait then Amazon is probably the way to go.

jet

Banned
HSC
http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=556

I have some of those. They're really nice. The company bought the patent for the Fischer Audio DBA-02's and remade them. Come with a tough carry case which fits nicely into my coat pocket or a front pocket in my bag.

Examine

same
HSC
I bought Sennheiser CX310 for $50 today at Dick Smith (Half price).

Examine

same
HSC
My friend was talking about Bob Marley headphones. I haven't head of them, are they any good.

He said they're great because they are made of wood. :l

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
apparently the skullcandy roc nation are actually good despite the skullcandy's rep.
dont buy beats by dre (esp solos), they are wayyy overpriced (altho they do look p nice). audio technica m50s are the way to go.

youngsky

poof
HSC
Skullcandy's got a reputation for being cheap, looking good, supposedly being the go-to headphone brand for those wanting something sounding slightly better than their $2 apple earbuds. Also imo they look and feel very "cheap"

The whole beats by dre line are terrible value for what you pay for them, they only look good. Beats Pro only pushes above average, maybe a 6/10 in terms of sound not counting cost

on topic, the best headphone brands for sound quality used to be Sennheiser, AKG, Shure though nowadays Sony and Audio Technica to name a few are becoming better at making headphones.

for reference probably the best headphones i've listened to irl are the $500 AKG k701

Last edited:

Hayden Watkins

HSC
It depends what type of head phones you want normal for music or for games i suggest Beats by Dr. Dre their good base headphones for music, or go to
http://www.alienware.com
http://www.razorzone.com
Both of these sites are the best for gaming headset gear and one of the best computer brands they have you can customize your own pc and get whatever you want.

seanieg89

HSC
I have:

sennheiser hd598's for all round purposes. nice open and natural sound. unfortunately for this reason it also leaks sound both in and out.

ultrasone 900's for a closed set which is absolutely amazing in the bass region. as a large chunk of my music taste lies in metal and electronic this suits VERY well. probably the pair I use most unless I am listening to thinks like classical music or live acoustic recordings.

old pair of sennheiser hd212pro's which were pretty good bang for buck. I rarely use them now as am extremely happy with the above two.

As someone who has tried a lot of headphones, I would strongly recommend against Dr Dre unless you have done pretty thorough research yourself. They are overpriced by quite a large margin.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Bad idea looking at brands in general, better to look for a good model and check reviews on head-fi etc. Even then it depends largely on whether you will be wearing them outside, what size you are willing to use, whether you want open or closed headphones, if sound isolation is important, if you will be able to plug it into an amplifier and perhaps most importantly what kind of music you are listening too.

I think brand is useless, JVC arent known for headphones but i bought some JVC HA-RX900s a few years ago and they are great. Got them after reading a lot of reviews and, at the time, they were pretty much the best you could get for their price. They were essentially a good copy of some Audio Technica headphones worth 2-3x as much. Theres better headphones around for similiar price now i believe. They are a semi open design though and huge so i dont wear them in public and use my V-moda vibes instead.

Don't get Beats though... I hear some of the models are alright but as a whole they are not worth it. I've also heard that some fakes are almost equal in sound quality to the originals but i wouldn't reccomend that since you'd look like a poser and i find that claim suspicious anyway.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm yet to find fake beats which sound anywhere near as good as real ones. Doesn't stop the vendors in the night market in Chinatown in Sydney on a Friday night telling you that they retail for >$200 and they're willing to sell for $30. My ears actually hurt afterwards.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I'm yet to find fake beats which sound anywhere near as good as real ones. Doesn't stop the vendors in the night market in Chinatown in Sydney on a Friday night telling you that they retail for >$200 and they're willing to sell for $30. My ears actually hurt afterwards.
Haha fair enough - knew it was too good to be true! It was a guy i went to school with who told me that and i think i've heard it in dodgy unboxing videos on youtube. Reason i didn't instantly dismiss it was before Beats were released apparently there were some good "fake" Monster headphones on sites like Dealextreme which were pretty good and people suspected were stuff made after hours, if i recall correctly reviews started coming in later that inferior quality headphones were being shipped out eventually.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha fair enough - knew it was too good to be true! It was a guy i went to school with who told me that and i think i've heard it in dodgy unboxing videos on youtube. Reason i didn't instantly dismiss it was before Beats were released apparently there were some good "fake" Monster headphones on sites like Dealextreme which were pretty good and people suspected were stuff made after hours, if i recall correctly reviews started coming in later that inferior quality headphones were being shipped out eventually.
Simple rule of thumb with Beats is if it's cheap it's probably fake. I bought mine from Best Buy when I was working in the US earlier this year- same would apply here in that only buy from reputable stores.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Simple rule of thumb with Beats is if it's cheap it's probably fake. I bought mine from Best Buy when I was working in the US earlier this year- same would apply here in that only buy from reputable stores.
Yeah, probably best to stay away from most places online unless they are known to be legitimate. Just remembered, i had a friend who purchased some of the in ears from an Australian seller on ebay a few years ago and was convinced they were real and kind of suspected they might have been stolen or something. He later found out from some video that they were actually some of the more convincing fakes but was happy with them as they sounded good... until they broke 2 weeks later!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Interesting article in the news nowadays since Beats/Monster split: http://gizmodo.com/5981823/beat-by-dre-the-inside-story-of-how-monster-lost-the-world

I wonder if the new Monster headphones will a) sound as good; and b) cost half the price of the Dre branded headphones. My Mum is a huge fan of them (she cares a lot about bass) so whatever the new ones are, I guess that's going to be her Mothers Day/Birthday/Christmas present depending on when they reach market! I personally still like my Solo HDs.

Yeah, probably best to stay away from most places online unless they are known to be legitimate. Just remembered, i had a friend who purchased some of the in ears from an Australian seller on ebay a few years ago and was convinced they were real and kind of suspected they might have been stolen or something. He later found out from some video that they were actually some of the more convincing fakes but was happy with them as they sounded good... until they broke 2 weeks later!
yeah there are so many fakes everywhere of various price points too- everything from $10 to $150! Just need to make sure my Mum doesn't accidentally buy one =_=

seanieg89

HSC
A few months into owning ultrasone pro 900's and zero regrets, they are amazing!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)