Good related texts for Advanced and Extention 1? (1 Viewer)

ClassOf2013

HSC
What are some good related texts for Belonging and Navigating The Global? I know I don't really need them until half yearlies and people from school that I've talked to about it haven't chosen them yet, but i'd like to get a bit of head start.

My teachers have suggested The Castle and Bowling For Columbine, as apparently they can be tied into both areas (Belonging and Navigating The Global) well. Anyone care to comment on this and/or offer other good suggestions (preferably texts that can be easily tied into both areas, teachers have encouraged us to do this).

Thanks ;)

erckle999

HSC
Uni Grad
It's one thing using a 500 page novel to double up on related texts, but if you are going to use films (which is perfectly fine) you can probably spare the two hours to watch different films for each subject/module. In terms of those films:
The Castle: Potentially interesting things to say about family and belonging to a place (a home) but unless you want to get into some sort of political debate about the appropriate role of the state within society then I would find something that offers more sophistication with less clamouring.
Bowling for Columbine: I'm not quite sure where the comments about either Belonging or Navigating the Global come in. From what I recall there is a little bit about the community of Columbine but the crux of the film (the analysis of American foreign policy and gun laws) doesnt have much to with belonging. In terms of Navigating the Global - even though Bowling for Columbine is in parts ostensibly about the world, it has very little to actually say about the world beyond acting as depository of evidence for Moore's theories about America. Unless you are going to make this into some sort of meta-analysis of Moore's film (eg how the film itself is symptomatic of a reaction to globalisation or whatever) in which case your text should be a review of the film or something.

It helps to first figure out what you are going to say about your core texts and then pick related texts to offer a different, yet related, argument.

Ustritsa

HSC
N/A
I definitely agree with Adam in regards to "Bowling for Columbine", belonging is a bit of a stretch considering that it is probably only visible on an extremely shallow level: kids who do not belong shoot kids who do (apologies for the crude synopsis). Moore discusses primarily factors of American society and specifically how political motivations in AMERICA influence law, past events and the people themselves. Although a great documentary which lends itself to countless interpretations and poses powerful moral questions it is not a text which can be easily manipulated to either Belonging or Navigating the Global which is really what we are looking for.

Remember, a great text is not necessarily a great related text. Think about what you want to say rather than choosing a text and trying to find what can be said. Good luck :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
The Castle would be fine for belonging.
Bowling for Columbine would be a good module C text if you are doing Conflicting Perspectives.

I don't think they are versatile enough to match to any others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)