Good Subjects for Year 11/12 ? (1 Viewer)

rach18

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm in year 10 at the moment and I've been thinking about doing these subjects for next year..

General Maths
English Adv
Economics
Legal Studies
Business Studies
Ancient History

My best subjects at the moment are english and history, not sure whether I should do a science subject like biology or chemistry since I've done pretty average in my half-yearlies.. and I'm considering if I should do visual arts..

Are these subjects good for getting a high UAI/ATAR ?

:)

smileeey

HSC
if your doing well in history then definately ancient history
maybe even extension history in year 12 however the work load is a bit
excessive for a 1 unit course.
i wouldnt do visual arts because in year 12 the major work is a bit of a pain but see how it goes

GOODLUCK

beardedwoman

HSC
Just try Mathematics first if you can to see if you can cope with it, as General Maths won't do you any justice. If you can't cope with Mathematics (2U) then it's probably better to not take up any maths at all. The scaling for General Math beyond horrible and unless you're really confident about achieving a band 6 I don't think you should take it on, unless you aren't able to do Mathematics and the university course you want to take on requires some form of math as a pre-requisite.

Also if your best subject is English, why not try out English Extension 1. This is your only chance to take it up and if you are good at english, it will be beneficial to you. I heard it's pretty interesting in comparison to Advanced English!

Onto History subjects, to be honest, I regret picking Ancient History over Modern History back in year 11. I ended up dropping Ancient History after 2 terms into the HSC course. There is just so much essay writing and memorisation of obscure facts. I think Modern is a lot more interesting (Focuses on the World Wars, on a particular country of your school's choice) than Ancient History after comparing the classwork purely. I think this is mainly because the world wars are something we can relate to more, but I guess it comes down to opinion. Majority of people doing both modern and ancient prefer modern, and told me I would've liked Modern History.

ps. do note that I have a huge thing for history, but Ancient just didn't spark up that interest in me, while the content in modern did.

But the choice of which history to do ultimately comes down to you.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
some of those subjects aren't the traditional high scalers, but if you do well in them nonetheless.. then yes, you can achieve a high atar

out of that lot, Eng Adv and Eco would scale you the best -providing you do moderately well

gen maths and business(?) are shit scalers

kcqn93

HSC
I'm in year 10 at the moment and I've been thinking about doing these subjects for next year..

General Maths
English Adv
Economics
Legal Studies
Business Studies
Ancient History

My best subjects at the moment are english and history, not sure whether I should do a science subject like biology or chemistry since I've done pretty average in my half-yearlies.. and I'm considering if I should do visual arts..

Are these subjects good for getting a high UAI/ATAR ?

:)
Why not do both Ancient and Modern History and not pick Maths altogether. It would be pointless doing General Maths, whereas your English writing skills will help you a lot in the history essays.

HOWEVER! You should decide this stuff for yourself. Ask yourself "Will I enjoy the subject and do well in it?", rather than just basing your decision on scaling and what others say.

Lawyer wannabe

HSC
It doesn't really matter what subjects you do, as long as you do well in them. True thats some subjects are capable of scaling you higher, but if you're no good at them, then you will find you will not benefit much. Im in year 10 too and am planning on doing:
-Adv English
-Ancient History
-Modern History
-Arabic Continuous
-Legal Studies
-PDH (which i will be dropping in year 12)
The bottom line is do what you're good at and try your best,besides we are only in year 10!!

bouncing

HSC
drop maths and do the other subjects - no point in gen maths and it seems you're more talented in essay writing judging from the fact taht you do better @ anc/eng

ps legal will be way fun esp since theyr updating the syll

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)