good texts for telling the truth (1 Viewer)

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
i did frontline and while some ppl stuck to media related texts i decided to branch out- this is what worked for me;
-The Crucible (the film directed by Hynter-- good for truth in the judicial system)
-1984 (the novel by Orwell -- good for truth in terms of government and politics)
-WWI propaganda poster (not great but i kinda had the poster stuck in my head and just pulled out techniques depending on the question)
-Hidden Agendas (non-fiction by John Pilger-- fantastic for truth in the media!!!)
good luck!

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
If you like, rent 13 days on DVD and use the supporting documentaries/biographies. The Cuban Missile Crisis [and associated soviet/us stuff] is a very good study on representations of truth.

Although I did most media additional texts, I got them to critise each other, which is in itself a very good argument in an essay.
It's worth the effort if you like an alternative perspective.

xanadu2428

HSC
N/A
grrrr

I did the Birthday Letters- Ted Hughes poetry for telling the truth- although i enjoyed it the additional text we used were all sylivia plath poems and journals- i mean what else could one use in relation to his poetry, and to make matters worse the question for 'telling the truth' in the adv eng paper 2 had nothing to do with Ted Hughes book, i don't think many people do it cause no-one seemed to be able to give me any help.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
I did the Birthday Letters- Ted Hughes poetry for telling the truth- although i enjoyed it the additional text we used were all sylivia plath poems and journals- i mean what else could one use in relation to his poetry, and to make matters worse the question for 'telling the truth' in the adv eng paper 2 had nothing to do with Ted Hughes book, i don't think many people do it cause no-one seemed to be able to give me any help.
I did Birthday letters this year, and used the addiitional texts of Linda Wagners Feminist biography of Sylvia PLath, and the correspondence between Alvarez and Hughes in Alvarez's book the Silent Woman.

I didn't talk about Sylvia's poems because they are studied in Module B critical study of texts, and are not meant for Module C.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
i did frontline and ... i used the film - wag the dog ... newspaper articles (such as the tampa crisis ... the government has many dodgy affairs to choose from) ... and moir cartoons from smh ...

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
i did frontline and ... i used the film - wag the dog ... newspaper articles (such as the tampa crisis ... the government has many dodgy affairs to choose from) ... and moir cartoons from smh ...
yeah the film wag the dog really fit in great with telling the truth

1 more

fructis
HSC
I used an article from the words column of the spectrum by Ruth waynajb
The artworks by Jenny Holzer called "truisms"
and the Cheryl Kernot and Gareth Evans affair (which i linked to kernot's appearance in frontline.)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
a general comment ... it is best not to use overly popular supp material ... unless you are really good ... because markers can instantly make comparisons between students ... and also if you plan to bluff and make up a supp material for any module for that matter - make sure it sounds convincing (and also the title has to be grammatically correct - ive seen someone *fabricate* a supp material with an incorrect title (grammatically) ... and that person barely passed)...

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
These are a lists of related texts for Telling the Truth (my class did 'The Justice Game' by Geoffrey Robertson).

-Film 'Wag the Dog'
-Articles on Tampa and the Children Overboard controversy.

Cakles

HSC
Well since we're sharing the ORMs that i am currently using are:

Film: Goodnight and Goodluck

Articles: 'Sacked for Photo Americans werent meant to see' - Caroline Overington Herald Correspondant in New York, April 23, 2004
'Acclaimed phot that does not tell full story' - Gert van Langendonck SMH 10/03/07
'Corby: battle of the TV experts' - Ben Cubby and Mark Forbes SMH 15/02/07

The AJA code of ethics

Poem: 'Nothing to report' -May Herschel-Clarke

Simpsons: 'Homer Badman'

and of course my perscribed texts are the 6 frontline episodes

I know that alot but i will narrow it down for my HSC exams.

Hope that helped someone:wave:

BHHS

HSC
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but 'The Insider' is an excellent film for telling the truth. As is 'Breaking News', a HK film about the police acting 'transparent' to the media in order to regain the people's trust.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)