Good weekly salary for a uni student (1 Viewer)

nightweaver066

HSC
Show me - tutoring does NOT count.
One of my mates work as a barista/bartender (fresh out of high school, just got RSA) and is earning $20+ per hour.

Another used to work at a hotel at the reception (no prior experience in this area, fresh out of high school), also earning $20+ per hour.

I'm sure there's more.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
my first job was in telemarketing which was about $17.50 + commission, making it easy to get $20+ per hour.

I wouldn't recommend that though. I only stayed there 4 months and it was terrible. (that was outbound though, I've heard inbound is much better).

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
beg to differ. if you know where to look $20 per hour is easy to get fresh outta school
Oh I assume that it's not tutoring. But yeah you're absolutely right, I mean i've done 4 years of it now.I guess considering the OPs marks, it's the best option whether privately or through a company

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
I doubt most people tutoring make over $500 p/w due to the amount of hours they work. Easy money but no real value in terms of work experience.
$500/week isn't much for a tutor who's smart about it. One of my tutors was getting at least $1000/week. And as someth1ng said, it's all down to group tuition but it takes a while to establish it correctly.

squishyau

HSC
Only tutors that make over $500 are the ones who are obviously established for a few years and are experienced enough to do group tuition. Other inexperienced high school leavers despite their ridiculous over charging of sometimes up to $50 p/h, tend to not get 10+ hours per week.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
So far, I have only had around 3 interested students and 1 that will be starting soon - just shows how difficult it can be to get students.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
im currently on $700 doing admin. shit pay but better than being on centrelink imo.

deswa1

HSC
Only tutors that make over $500 are the ones who are obviously established for a few years and are experienced enough to do group tuition. Other inexperienced high school leavers despite their ridiculous over charging of sometimes up to $50 p/h, tend to not get 10+ hours per week.
Nah it depends a lot on marks. If you get a high 99's ATAR, you get a lot of random parents that think 'this guy got .95, my son must go to him so he gets .95' etc. Obviously it doesn't work like that but people somehow still think it does

michaeljennings

HSC
Nah it depends a lot on marks. If you get a high 99's ATAR, you get a lot of random parents that think 'this guy got .95, my son must go to him so he gets .95' etc. Obviously it doesn't work like that but people somehow still think it does
+1, I know heaps of people who have students just cos they got a gun atar, regardless of how socially awkward they are

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
That's probably true...you see all the tutors that got 99.95 are booked out completely.

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC
I get close to 10 and I didn't even get 95. ^_^

So far, I have only had around 3 interested students and 1 that will be starting soon - just shows how difficult it can be to get students.
once you make connections it gets going.

Just get as many as you can as close as you can in schools that are close-by and then they'll talk to their friends and stuff.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
Show me - tutoring does NOT count.
there are tonnes of jobs in call centers, which pay $20+ easy! (i work in a call centre)
You can get a job pulling beers which can easily pay $20+
certain jobs in admin also pay well
jobs in sales

naav

HSC
Are there any call centre's hiring ? (besides the one already on seek)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Back in my first year uni, I was on $29k p/a which worked out to be approx $500 a week. That wasn't an awesome salary but it was more than enough for a uni student. Note I was working full time as a cadet.

My friends who worked in o/b call centres and in data entry roles were all on more than me as a full timer.

I think each year as more and more people get into tutoring once they finish the HSC, it becomes harder and harder to get the $50/hr. But hey it's cash in hand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)