Got 96 in 2U HSC. Give up for 4U?! (1 Viewer)

kevda1st

HSC
YES DO 4U

I screwed my test up counted about 40% wrong (even more with silly mistakes) and it scaled to 92!! in the end

whitnall8

HSC
96 - 2 unit
94 - 4 unit

thus, if you get anything higher than around 86 in 4 unit, the scaled will be higher than 96 in unit.

DO 4 UNIT.
What raw mark would you think you would need to get in the exam to get an 86 for the exam mark for 4 unit?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Last edited:

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
I did the ATAR calculations to work out how well I would have had to have done in 2U to beat the ATAR I got doing 4U, and it seems to me the main benefit ATAR-wise of doing 4U is that my 3U result, which also scales very well, was counted for 2 units rather than just 1 - had I not done 4U, it would've counted a unit from my relatively bad Chemistry mark, and I'd have to do very well in 2U to make up for that.

It also opens up opportunities at uni for doing higher-level maths if you choose to do so.

chrisk

HSC
I am 2009 HSC student and
I really advise you to do 4U maths
Reasons are:
1) scales up very high
2) Fun

but I will not advise you to do it if you are not good at Extension 1 maths
You said you are getting 95+ in 2U, but ALL extension 1 maths students in my class
(approx 27 people) got above 95 in 2U which shows that in actual final HSC exam, there will be many people getting ABOVE 95 and there was actually many got 95+ in 2009 HSC 2U maths exam. This means that you are not going to get scaled up unless you get more than 95+.

IF you are good at extension 1 maths, you can go on reading

Extension 2 maths SCALES UP SO MUCH that you will cry

The BoS will not give you the raw mark but I can guess what raw mark I got

I got around 72% for my extension 2 maths 2009 hsc and my final result was
92%.

My friend says he might got around 65% and he got 90% for the final result.

The school mark is not that important UNLESS you do well in the final exam and you are top 10% of your class (I was rank 2, and the guy got 65% was rank 3).

This greatly contributes to your ATAR and also if you are aiming for 90+ ext2 is recommanded,

95+ I think you Need to have extension subjects such as english or math or wtv

for 98+ you Must have an extension subject and the easiest one should be math ext 2 or eng ext 2

of course, you need to do other subjects well too but if you do ext 2 math or english, the chance of getting 98+ ATAR WILL increase greatly

I need to tell you one more thing that

extension 2 IS NOT an easy subject, seriously.
so in school (of course depends on your school level), if you are getting around 50%+ ( for me my average ext2 mark was 60% in school), you SHOULD NOT drop it.

you at least need to use 40% of your time on maths if you want to do 4u
not only for you, but that's true for everyone. Many will agree on this unless they are genius.

You think ext2 is hard but you need to know that it is hard for everyone so please consider taking the course and not give up if your ext 1 is going well.

Also It saves time in Uni as well because 4u math is uni level maths

stampede

doin it tuff
HSC
I am 2009 HSC student and
I really advise you to do 4U maths
Reasons are:
1) scales up very high
2) Fun

but I will not advise you to do it if you are not good at Extension 1 maths
You said you are getting 95+ in 2U, but ALL extension 1 maths students in my class
(approx 27 people) got above 95 in 2U which shows that in actual final HSC exam, there will be many people getting ABOVE 95 and there was actually many got 95+ in 2009 HSC 2U maths exam. This means that you are not going to get scaled up unless you get more than 95+.

IF you are good at extension 1 maths, you can go on reading

Extension 2 maths SCALES UP SO MUCH that you will cry

The BoS will not give you the raw mark but I can guess what raw mark I got

I got around 72% for my extension 2 maths 2009 hsc and my final result was
92%.

My friend says he might got around 65% and he got 90% for the final result.

The school mark is not that important UNLESS you do well in the final exam and you are top 10% of your class (I was rank 2, and the guy got 65% was rank 3).

This greatly contributes to your ATAR and also if you are aiming for 90+ ext2 is recommanded,

95+ I think you Need to have extension subjects such as english or math or wtv

for 98+ you Must have an extension subject and the easiest one should be math ext 2 or eng ext 2

of course, you need to do other subjects well too but if you do ext 2 math or english, the chance of getting 98+ ATAR WILL increase greatly

I need to tell you one more thing that

extension 2 IS NOT an easy subject, seriously.
so in school (of course depends on your school level), if you are getting around 50%+ ( for me my average ext2 mark was 60% in school), you SHOULD NOT drop it.

you at least need to use 40% of your time on maths if you want to do 4u
not only for you, but that's true for everyone. Many will agree on this unless they are genius.

You think ext2 is hard but you need to know that it is hard for everyone so please consider taking the course and not give up if your ext 1 is going well.

Also It saves time in Uni as well because 4u math is uni level maths
dude, shit, tl;dr

to the OP, 4unit has simple concepts, its just the exam qs which are challenging

after learning the concepts, practice everyday and youll be fine

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
hmmm
but all the people that say that they screwed up with 60% raw in the final exam, ending up with 93% aligned... you were ranked really well internally.

so if I come last in 4u at school and get 60% raw, my chances of ending up with 90% aligned are very very slim.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)