Got a 51 for first assessment.. (1 Viewer)

mcapuano

HSC
Is this relatively normal for a first year or am i just completely dumb at life?
I'm confused because i only got a pass but ranked 28 out of a class with 368 people in it..

uni is confusing

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
oh no a 51 in something the heavens must be falling! some people really need a better grasp of reality.

its your first uni assessment so what? its not the end of the world and why you may be 'dumb at life' but FFS its your first uni assessment!!!!!!! figure out what you did wrong and improve, you know you need to work harder (i assume you arent aiming for just passes). unis harder than school

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
So you ranked 28/368 while only getting a pass??

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I thought my second year course was hard....

Reality is, try to improve. That's all you can really do.

I barely scraped a pass in a quiz a few days ago but instead of sobbing I picked up my game and got 100% in the next one for the same course.

Long story short, you can do it!!!

D94

HSC
N/A
What's so confusing?

You got 51%, and you were ranked 28 out of 368 for that assignment/assessment. Your mark is independent of your rank.

If many students continue to perform poorly, they will fail the course. It's quite simple.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
What's so confusing?

You got 51%, and you were ranked 28 out of 368 for that assignment/assessment. Your mark is independent of your rank.

If many students continue to perform poorly, they will fail the course. It's quite simple.
I'm not 100% how UNSW grading works, is it distributed so the rank would indicate a higher grade (e.g a HD/D) or would a 51 just = a pass grade with this rank not being taken into consideration.

D94

HSC
N/A
I'm not 100% how UNSW grading works, is it distributed so the rank would indicate a higher grade (e.g a HD/D) or would a 51 just = a pass grade with this rank not being taken into consideration.
For most courses, assessments/assignments are simply raw percentages, so knowing the rank for a small task is kind of redundant. There might be some courses where individual assessment/assignment are scaled, but usually it's the final mark that gets adjusted.

There is no requirement for a higher rank to be scaled to a certain grade. There's no bell curve distribution, but individual course conveners may decide to use such a grading system. There is a committee who decides whether the distribution of marks is appropriate and may decide to raise/lower/keep the same marks depending on any number of factors (that are unknown to us).

Having been in courses on both sides of the marking spectrum, i.e. courses with lots of raw HD marks, and courses with lots of raw PS marks, the OP achieving 51% and being in the top 8% of the cohort for 1 single assessment, isn't very surprising.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
It's a first year course, so they'll probably scale it at the end so not too many people fail.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Well basically if you fk one question up it had a flow on effect.

Marc26

HSC
maybe you're just doubting yourself too much haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)