GOVT1101, GOVT1105 or GOVT1202 (1 Viewer)

Smithereens

HSC
I'm currently deciding on what junior units of study that would be interesting for me during my first year. I've searched through the forums and pretty much, all three (Australian politics, Geopolitics and World Politics) have pretty bad lecturers, even though the content is interesting. I have an interest in politics in general, but I need help deciding which two electives I shall pick for my first year.

spence

HSC
The consensus seems to be that all junior GOVT units are shit. For what it's worth, I didn't mind Diarmuid for Geopol, he was funny in a strange way. But I really didn't like the subject. I've also heard AusPol is better than WorldPol

Smithereens

HSC
Gils for World Politics was said to be dull. How about Susan Parks?

nick1689

HSC
I dont know why many people here dont like junior govt subjects, I found them fun and interesting. I did both worldpol and geopol and they were both great, maybe geopol a bit more than worldpol (but only because of the theories we had to learn in world pol - constructivism AHHH!!)

If you're into int relations, world politics etc, youll enjoy worldpol and geopol

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Aus pol is perhaps the better of the 3. I suggest you do this, especially if you have a general interest in politics.

World pol was pretty bad under the old lecturer, but I hear the new lecturer is okay.

Smithereens

HSC
With a double degree, I'm restricted to choosing two core junior major units (Govt and international relations) and one elective unit. Is it alright if I chose all three electives?

spence

HSC
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to, I'd personally suggest you pick something else though to see if you have interests elsewhere, as you may end up not liking GOVT

KarmaKitten

HSC
My favourite was Geopolitics. I thought Diarmud was so weird that I found him amusing. The content in World Pol is very dry and boring. But things pick up in senior year.

spiderpig333

first year B.A.
HSC
do NOT do world politics it is so very very dry it is purely theoretical and incredibly;y boring and useless and the lecturer is not good.. It is the most horrible subsject i do !!!:eek:

Taskan

HSC
definitely do auspol, its easier and a bit more interesting.

i also did geopol, didnt like it that much, but tbh, i didnt really get it

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Auspol is pretty awesome. Easy-ish course, but nevertheless, heaps interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)