Gpa question (1 Viewer)

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
I have read the GPA selection rank document on Bos. It states that a gpa of 6.5 + after 1 yr FTE is equal to a selection rank of 99.5. Is that the same at all unis or do some unis rank ppl differently? I.e. therefore for selection purposes a selection rank for a gpa of 6.5 = selection rank of gpa of 7?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
sikeveo said:
I have read the GPA selection rank document on Bos. It states that a gpa of 6.5 + after 1 yr FTE is equal to a selection rank of 99.5. Is that the same at all unis or do some unis rank ppl differently? I.e. therefore for selection purposes a selection rank for a gpa of 6.5 = selection rank of gpa of 7?
GPA is what UAC uses, so all uni's use the same system for external transfers via UAC

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
The SCU sheet says that both are equal to a selection rank of 99.5 after 1 yr FTE.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
No you're incorrect. Read the sheet. It says gpa of 6.5+ is equal to a selection rank of 99.5.

krisk85

Random
HSC
N/A
im lovin it.. if u pass at uni lol u get 'selection rank' of 80.. yii muther fuckin ha lol

M_86

HSC
krisk85 said:
im lovin it.. if u pass at uni lol u get 'selection rank' of 80.. yii muther fuckin ha lol
I guess it says more about how hard uni is than how high the rank is for passing.
But saying that I have found what I am doing pretty easy so far.

notnownotever

PRINCE
HSC
gpa

say i want to transfer from uni, if i got 72 for uai, and i got a gpa of 4.25 + wat rank am i looking at and wat uai

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
sikeveo said:
Yes. If you get 4 Distinctions and 4 High Distinctions over 1 year, you will have a GPA of 6.5, which equates to a selection rank of 99.5.

However, two things must be remembered.

Firstly, they count your selection rank only as 50% of the Non-Recent School Leaver (NRSL) rank you will be given. The remaining 50% is your UAI. So unless you got a UAI of 99.5, you would obviously get a lower NRSL rank than 99.5.

Secondly, though it depends on the subjects, it is generally very hard to get high distinctions at uni.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
notnownotever said:
say i want to transfer from uni, if i got 72 for uai, and i got a gpa of 4.25 + wat rank am i looking at and wat uai
After 1 full time year of study, a GPA of 4.25 equates to a selection rank of 84.

So if your UAI was 72, you would end up with a NRSL rank of 78.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Thanks moonlightsonata. Yep i was aware of them counting your UAI aswell. I've heard that you can achieve HD's in B. science albeit with some sustained effort.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
sikeveo said:
Thanks moonlightsonata. Yep i was aware of them counting your UAI aswell. I've heard that you can achieve HD's in B. science albeit with some sustained effort.
yes sciences and the like are considered easiest to attain high marks as they have a right or wrong answer.
I heard some maths courses give out 25 HD's.
My marketing subjects give out 0-2 HD's a semester. Govt subjects hardly give out a single one.

bananaslug

HSC
hey,

the number of HD's a course gives out depends on the quality of the cohort and the number of ppl who are doing the course. Raw marks are then scaled according the the mark distribution policy. In Usyd for first year subjects 2-5% can be allocated HD's. There is a document floating around on the site somewhere..but u have to use the search facility and i didnt save it...i know the science faculty does this as well...(doing adv sci.comm)

since about 1000 ppl do first year math (normal course) i imagine there would be that many who got an HD....although it did say in the 1st year handbook that it would be hard to get an hd if u did normal as opoosed to advanced math..but this is kind of off topic
anyway good luck with it all!

so i giuess its more about position than raw marks...after all the university also has a policy for the no /proportion they fail...

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
bananaslug said:
hey,

the number of HD's a course gives out depends on the quality of the cohort and the number of ppl who are doing the course. Raw marks are then scaled according the the mark distribution policy. In Usyd for first year subjects 2-5% can be allocated HD's. There is a document floating around on the site somewhere..but u have to use the search facility and i didnt save it...i know the science faculty does this as well...(doing adv sci.comm)

since about 1000 ppl do first year math (normal course) i imagine there would be that many who got an HD....although it did say in the 1st year handbook that it would be hard to get an hd if u did normal as opoosed to advanced math..but this is kind of off topic
anyway good luck with it all!

so i giuess its more about position than raw marks...after all the university also has a policy for the no /proportion they fail...
Usyd has a 3% HD policy, this is where how good your lecturer is comes into play. If they care enough, they can argue with the board to allow more than 3%, however that doesnt mean that there has to be any HDs at all, even in science units

Last edited:

bananaslug

HSC
and i read that the marks are multiplied by 0.8 to 1.2 until the mark distribution closely matches this, so scaling doesnt change the raw order of canditates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)