GPA question (1 Viewer)

jonathan109

HSC
N/A
Was wondering, is the GPA based on all your subjects? including first year? because i know for WAM it does not include first year subs.

If it does include 1st yr subs, do you calculate a seperate GPA based on each levels?

i.e. a GPA for all your first yr subs?, a GPA for all ur second yr subs etc...

And if that's the case does that mean your most recent GPA, say uve just completed second yr, will be your second year calculated GPA correct?

Thanks for that.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
I was under the impression that it was every subject for every year, weighted by the year value.
I.e:
4th year = *4
3rd year = *3
2nd year = *2
1st year = *1
Either way I'm on a 7.0 to 2sf, or 6.96 to 3sf

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
jonathan109 said:
Was wondering, is the GPA based on all your subjects? including first year? because i know for WAM it does not include first year subs.

If it does include 1st yr subs, do you calculate a seperate GPA based on each levels?

i.e. a GPA for all your first yr subs?, a GPA for all ur second yr subs etc...

And if that's the case does that mean your most recent GPA, say uve just completed second yr, will be your second year calculated GPA correct?

Thanks for that.
WAM does include first year subjects.
GPA does include first year subjects.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
KeypadSDM said:
I was under the impression that it was every subject for every year, weighted by the year value.
I.e:
4th year = *4
3rd year = *3
2nd year = *2
1st year = *1
Either way I'm on a 7.0 to 2sf, or 6.99 to 3sf
You're thinking of SWAM.
GPA is only calculated by credit point values (i.e. 8cp sub is worth more than a 4cp

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
stazi said:
You're thinking of SWAM.
GPA is only calculated by credit point values (i.e. 8cp sub is worth more than a 4cp
If that's the case, then it's a stupid system.

To think someone's 100 in first year psychology [a multi choice test] is weighted as highly as my 6cp thesis in engineering is just stupid. It's got to be weighted by year, else people won't worry about 3rd/4th year as much.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
KeypadSDM said:
If that's the case, then it's a stupid system.

To think someone's 100 in first year psychology [a multi choice test] is weighted as highly as my 6cp thesis in engineering is just stupid. It's got to be weighted by year, else people won't worry about 3rd/4th year as much.
yes, i agree with the fact that it's a stupid system. To think that my 90 results (the highest ever apparently) in consumer behaviour is the same as someone's 90 mark in maths who may have come 10th in the subject. The uni needs to have a constant marking standard and yes, GPA should be based on the difficulty, rank etc etc

EDIT: oh and 100 in 1st year psych is amazing! multiple choice and non-multiple choice test responses have been found to correlate quite often in terms of marks gained (Paul henry found evidence of this in mktg2002 and apparently same thing occurs in mktg1002)

Last edited:

nit

HSC
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
To think someone's 100 in first year psychology [a multi choice test] is weighted as highly as my 6cp thesis in engineering is just stupid.
Someone is in love with themself... :rolleyes:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
stazi said:
yes, i agree with the fact that it's a stupid system. To think that my 90 results (the highest ever apparently) in consumer behaviour is the same as someone's 90 mark in maths who may have come 10th in the subject. The uni needs to have a constant marking standard and yes, GPA should be based on the difficulty, rank etc etc

EDIT: oh and 100 in 1st year psych is amazing! multiple choice and non-multiple choice test responses have been found to correlate quite often in terms of marks gained (Paul henry found evidence of this in mktg2002 and apparently same thing occurs in mktg1002)
90 would put them at 5th or so, and keep in mind that the total maths cohort would be at least 800.

EDIT: In any case GPA is unfair because a person getting 100 is weighted the same as someone getting 85.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
stazi said:
o think that my 90 results (the highest ever apparently) in consumer behaviour is the same as someone's 90 mark in maths who may have come 10th in the subject.

hahaahhahahahahah....HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH

you're a twat

jpr333

HSC
Too hard to scale between subjects it's so hit and miss, even between streams I don't think it's very fair.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
GPA says a person getting 85 for all the subjects is better than someone getting 100 for everything except one 84 (dependant on rounding). That's just stupid.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
jpr333 said:
Too hard to scale between subjects it's so hit and miss, even between streams I don't think it's very fair.
But scaling is done so that marks are comparable between streams and different subjects. Theoretically, a 90 in one subject is as hard to get and takes as much effort as a 90 in another subject, whether advanced or not. But yes, GPA isnt the best system, but does it server a purpose other than for transfers?

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
hmm, it sucks that they dont look at the difficulties of the subjects... my gpa got fucked in the arse by maths modelling and physical modelling in semester one. i only passed these subjects .... but there were so damn hard (well especially for me cause im not really a math/science nerd). Either way i know for my transfer im competing against people who've done artsy subjects and got D's with little effort .. makes me a sad panda </3

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Purp|e said:
hmm, it sucks that they dont look at the difficulties of the subjects... my gpa got fucked in the arse by maths modelling and physical modelling in semester one. i only passed these subjects .... but there were so damn hard (well especially for me cause im not really a math/science nerd). Either way i know for my transfer im competing against people who've done artsy subjects and got D's with little effort .. makes me a sad panda </3
artsy subjects often give crap marks. 'little effort?' pfft. Government subjects require too much effort. And mark you down like a vagine. I've heard of some subjects in maths even giving out 20 HDs! Compared to the 1 or 2 in government. Or 0-2 in marketing.

nit

HSC
What if they work their ass off at something their good at - thats gotta be the best right

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)