GPA (1 Viewer)

lilgsmith10

HSC
Yeah - most interviewers will ask you for it when you apply for a job... You need a good one otherwise you're skrewed :biglaugh:

blyatman

HSC
N/A
As long as you don't have a string of fail subjects, then most employers couldn't care less what your GPA is. A good one helps, but you don't need one to get a job. Someone with an average GPA but good job experience is better than someone with a top GPA but no job experience.

Jolteon

HSC
Tbh depends what you're studying - I'm in health and they prioritise your practical experience over your WAM/GPA and usually clinical internships/placements are integrated within the degree.

However, I know for certain degrees in STEM or commerce, WAM/GPA is taken into account when you are applying for internships and since you should be graduating with at least one internship under your belt in your penultimate/ultimate years, then in that case, your WAM will play a role.
Again, in the end, your work experience, extra-curriculars or any leadership experiences throughout uni will most likely take priority over your grades.

dasfas

HSC
Tbh depends what you're studying - I'm in health and they prioritise your practical experience over your WAM/GPA and usually clinical internships/placements are integrated within the degree.

However, I know for certain degrees in STEM or commerce, WAM/GPA is taken into account when you are applying for internships and since you should be graduating with at least one internship under your belt in your penultimate/ultimate years, then in that case, your WAM will play a role.
Again, in the end, your work experience, extra-curriculars or any leadership experiences throughout uni will most likely take priority over your grades.
Do you have any tips for applying for internships in health? I'm a first year b science student

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

Yeah agree with this, usually depends on the degree. If your WAM/GPA is low you have to make up for it in some other way i.e. experience/extracurriculars etc - if your WAM/GPA is low and you have no experience, the employer will be like, why would I hire this person? They can just hire someone else that they know will be able to do the technical side of the work (high WAM/GPA) or someone who already has experience in the workforce/field (good experience).

Although a lot of people still get a graduate job without internships - internships are relatively hard to get since there's minimal and a lot of competition.

Cujo10

HSC
Uni Grad
Is it possible to convert your GPA to ATAR?

dasfas

HSC
Is it possible to convert your GPA to ATAR?
Nope, they're completely unrelated. A 4.0 is probably 99.75+ and 70 ATAR is whatever the average GPA is. Outside of that, it's too unbalanced since atar scales whereas gpa doesn't and a 74 ie. Credit is very different to a 75 distinction for GPA whereas for ATAR it has very little effect

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Not sure about GPA's here, but a 4.0 GPA in the US is probably like a 90 ATAR lol.

dasfas

HSC
Not sure about GPA's here, but a 4.0 GPA in the US is probably like a 90 ATAR lol.
Yeah, australia makes more harshly than usa (well at my uni at any rate, i'm sure the grading is wildly different between unis)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)