Grad Pay Estimates (1 Viewer)

wildwildwest

HSC
Hi all,
I am new to this site so hi! :)

i just got my first offer in a mid-tier accg firm, and they said the pay would be $40,000. im' probably going to take this one, cause heck, haven't got any better offers yet ;)

My question is, am i getting ripped off??
does anyone have any experiences with typical salaries?
i heard the big4 firms were paying much higher, thouh i'm interested to know what other guys get, like from tax, from IT, finance and from what companies if anyone knows

cheers!

Kegs

HSC
Geologists can get between 80k and 100k first job out. Thats all I got. I think you might be getting ripped. Ask some other finance/accg students.

mserica

HSC
wildwildwest - do you have any experience (or just the degree?) as it will make a massive difference in your salary.

wildwildwest

HSC
mserica said:
wildwildwest - do you have any experience (or just the degree?) as it will make a massive difference in your salary.

no experience :(
i'm graduating at the end of this year, and starting next year

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
from what I remember 35-45K is the average degree grad's salary

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
I second that 40k sounds about right for the average grad. That said, accounting might be special.

A very quick look at this survey (via this Google search) suggests 35-45k for an accounting graduate in NSW, 06-07 ...but that's just one of the several figures you can go into, depending on what type of accounting, or which side of the public/private/large/small divide you're on.

Just to back that up, slightly older (june 2006) stuff at this website suggests similar ranges (and by the looks of things the difference seems like a simple CPI increase, which you'd expect to see in surveys like this.)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
What division are you going to be working in?

Tax usually get paid higher than Audit.

Just confirm that the 40K includes super...

Big4's will be paying more than that. I actually find that surprising - I'd normally expect mid-tiers to outbid the Big4 salaries simply to lure grads away from the bigger firms.

wildwildwest

HSC
wow!
60k for IT sounds awesome, though i was never good at computers

thanks for the input guys and gals

X

xeuyrawp

... said:
IT @ westpac earns close to 60 i think
Er, where'd you get that figure from? Unless it's something like a Senior position, I'd be very surprised.

The_Adonis

HSC
PWC offered 60 for tax i believe
EY offered 55 for tax with a law degree, 53 without...
Audit was 45 or so

^___^
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Er, where'd you get that figure from? Unless it's something like a Senior position, I'd be very surprised.
westpac it grad is one of the best paying grad positions around...having said that, it is IT, so it goes downhill after 3 or 4 yrs :p

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
... said:
westpac it grad is one of the best paying grad positions around...having said that, it is IT, so it goes downhill after 3 or 4 yrs :p
It took me 5 goes to completely get that one sentence. Time for me to go to sleep. :eek:

X

xeuyrawp

... said:
I must say, it's pretty impressive.

dracover

HSC
i think the varying figures depends on if they include such things as super and bonus'

from my friend at EY she says "base salaries" i.e. no super and stuff starts at 45k. so if u add on say 10% super that becomes close to 50k then bonus' and maybe a bit more pay for certain areas u'll get the 50-60k figure people are throwing around.

i'm graduating also and from the offers i've seen 45-55k is wat ur standard base rate should be. actually the big4 pay substantially less then other major bank, finace companies, and/or insurance and super firms.

if ur in say investment banking as i've heard someone throw out. i know someone who has a 90k grad position for next yr in IB. however u must consider the time...they have to do minimum of around 72hrs a week which is like almost double ur normal full time position hence obviously they'll get paid twice as much.

in judging ur salary i'd suggest looking at say the hrs and the kind of work ur getting. if ur 40k figure is base then considering its not a large top level firm i'd say its ok. but if it already include such things as super ...then ur getting riped off

ReaveR

HSC
Graduates at Westpac start on about 50, CBA at 47 and NAB ranges between 49-52. Westpac is indeed one of the better paying big four banks however I'm extremely surprised to hear about 60k for IT at Westpac given that the base salary for ISD at MacBank is 52. Although, Mac tends to give out much larger bonuses.

I don't know about ANZ but when I asked the representative he said that the benefits of working at ANZ are having many corporate lunches.

For accounting 40k is about right but consider that after a couple of years it will rise above that of your banking peers especially once you get qualifications such as CPA/CA.

H?

buddy
HSC
wildwildwest said:
Hi all,
I am new to this site so hi! :)

i just got my first offer in a mid-tier accg firm, and they said the pay would be $40,000. im' probably going to take this one, cause heck, haven't got any better offers yet ;)

My question is, am i getting ripped off??
does anyone have any experiences with typical salaries?
i heard the big4 firms were paying much higher, thouh i'm interested to know what other guys get, like from tax, from IT, finance and from what companies if anyone knows

cheers!
With the lateness of this offer coming out and the amount, I'm going to hazard a guess and say it's from Hill Rogers?

Big 4 Audit has been between 42-48k ex super this year it seems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)