grade point averages (1 Viewer)

smegthehead

is chairman kaga
HSC
hi guys im just wondering what grades are worth how many points in the calculation of a GPA, and do you count subjects in which you can only receive an ungraded pass? i can't seem to find jack on it on the uni's website, thanks mateys

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I didn't think newcastle did GPA's.

smegthehead

is chairman kaga
HSC
then for instance how do you satisfy the criteria for transferring to another university when you finish your course for a graduate entry degree when you have to have a certain GPA to be considered? there was nothing in the policy library that helped so if there isn't an official way to calculate it by UNCLE standards then there must be another system that the use

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
smegthehead said:
then for instance how do you satisfy the criteria for transferring to another university when you finish your course for a graduate entry degree when you have to have a certain GPA to be considered? there was nothing in the policy library that helped so if there isn't an official way to calculate it by UNCLE standards then there must be another system that the use
you could always try a search for gpa in the unis search

In accordance with the University's Rules Governing Unsatisfactory Progress, the Faculty annually reviews the academic progress of its students. Academic progress is measured by a Grade Point Average (GPA) system (where HD=7, D=6, C=5, P=4, CP=3, TP=3, FF=0) and completion of compulsory courses.

A GPA of 7.0 is equivalent to all courses at HD (85 or over) level
A GPA of 6.5 is equivalent to half of all courses at HD and half at D (75-84) levels
A GPA of 6.0 is equivalent to all courses at D level or a third of courses at HD, a third at D and a third at C (65-74) levels
A GPA of 5.5 is equivalent to half of all courses at D and half at C levels.
A GPA of 5.0 is equivalent to all courses at C level.

Eg. Me = 5 HDs 9 Ds 6Cs
(5x7+9x6+6x5)/20=5.95

any gpa >5 would probly get you in anywhere

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
smegthehead said:
You do it through uac and they recalculate your UAI depending on your marks. Well, that's the case for normal transfers. Post-graduate might be different.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
smegthehead said:
I would say Newcastle just uses the standard system where:

HD = 7
D = 6
C = 5
P = 4
PC = 3
F = 0

So, for example, if you got a 54, 67, 87, 90 then your GPA would be: (4 + 5 + 7 + 7)/4 = 5.75. I don't know what they do about and subjects that you can only receive an ungraded pass in. You should ring the University for more information:).

P.S. I don't know why they still use GPA's and not WAM's:rolleyes:.

celcast

HSC
SoCal said:
I would say Newcastle just uses the standard system where:

HD = 7
D = 6
C = 5
P = 4
PC = 3
F = 0
I could be wrong but I didnt think Newcastle used PC?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Well I was just referring to the standard system. Anyhow, I remember for IRHR1110: Introduction To Management and Organisational Behaviour they had a B (Borderline) grade which was awarded for a mark 45<=x>=49, so I think it just depends on the subject:).

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
its faculty dependent, they decide according to the assessment for the particular subject

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
mrbassman said:
its faculty dependent, they decide according to the assessment for the particular subject
lol so in other words its screwed in the ass royally

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
PrincessSJ said:
lol so in other words its screwed in the ass royally
i think it has to do with whether the assessment for the subject is out of the ordinary

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
mrbassman said:
My example was for a course that did it for the overall course grade. It usually doesn't matter if you fail one assessment anyway:).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)