Graduate medicine, dentistry and pharmacy (1 Viewer)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC

Peihui

HSC
Hi,
Just wondering do you know what is the difference between UMAT and GAMSAT? I mean in exam content wise. I have a quick read of the ACER website and I got an impression that all graduate entry applications need to go through ACER is that correct?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Hi,
Just wondering do you know what is the difference between UMAT and GAMSAT? I mean in exam content wise. I have a quick read of the ACER website and I got an impression that all graduate entry applications need to go through ACER is that correct?
Have a good read of both booklets, UMAT is pretty much a multiple choise IQ/EQ test, where as GAMSAT is a 5-6 hour exam consisting of writtenuniversity level sciences, humanities (2 essays) and other interpretive multiple choice questions.

Graduate entry applications usually go through ACER solely, except for Bond, etc, you will need to check with the universities that you are applying to. Check out www.pagingdr.proboards61.com for more GAMSAT/graduate med info.

Peihui

HSC
Do you know which GAMSAT prep course is better? thanks

delian

HSC
N/A
Hi,
UMAT is skill/technique based, whilst GAMSAT is content based ie sciences (phys, chem, bio). Another difference is UMAT is all MCQ while you need to write essays for GAMSAT

Champ101

HSC
Hi guys!

I'm really interested in finding out why you guys want to study medicine? What are your motivations...?

jalec1810

HSC
Most graduate medical schools require GAMSAT + a GPA of 5 to 5.5 to be considered eligible to appy, official information and practice booklets can be found here: http://www.gamsat.edu.au/

Admissions guide: http://gamsat.acer.edu.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=281

Graduate medical forum: http://pagingdr.proboards61.com/

Preparation courses:

Med-prep, Des O'Neil, Husky, Ozimed, Medired, Griffith, Gamsat prep and so on.
Hey! I hope to, Godwilling, get into UWS. But, given the high cutoff threshold for non- GWS ap plicants (95.50) I am considering BClincSc at Macquarie- with the intention of MD. I am only in Year 11. Is GAMSAT required, for entry into Macquarie MD? What is everyone else's Plan B?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hey! I hope to, Godwilling, get into UWS. But, given the high cutoff threshold for non- GWS ap plicants (95.50) I am considering BClincSc at Macquarie- with the intention of MD. I am only in Year 11. Is GAMSAT required, for entry into Macquarie MD? What is everyone else's Plan B?
Plan B is do software engineering or actuarial and try UMAT again in first year without studying for it and if it doesn't work again then give up on med :D

ShootingDuck

HSC
That's cool, sounds like a better option than sitting GAMSAT. Would it be worth sitting UMAT if I got an atar of 93/94 or would that be too low even for medicine at WSU?

A1P

HSC
That's cool, sounds like a better option than sitting GAMSAT. Would it be worth sitting UMAT if I got an atar of 93/94 or would that be too low even for medicine at WSU?
With ATAR 93/94 you may have to forget about UNSW as they use GPA+ATAR. Even GPA 7 (max you can get) only pulls you up to 96/97 equivalent, not really competitive.

WSU is either/or, if you haven't got >95.5 then you need GPA >6.1 to the end of the year you apply.
JMP ignores ATAR and is much easier on GPA, only "close to Credit average".

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Check if your area is in the GWS area because your ATAR cutoff will be a bit lower by 1-2 atar

andrew12678

HSC
Is this for getting into Medicine after the first year of uni? You said UNSW looks at your GPA + ATAR, so do they look at your GPA from the first year of Uni and also check your ATAR? Do they also require students to sit the UMAT?
Yes, they halve your ATAR and your Uni results and also consider UMAT results for that year

tommyleaton

HSC
Physicians diagnose and treat injuries or illnesses, often within a specialty area of practice.
Dentists diagnose and treat problems with a patient’s teeth, gums, and related parts of the mouth.
Pharmacists dispense prescription medications to patients and offer expertise in the safe use of prescriptions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)