Graduate/ Vacationer Programs? (1 Viewer)

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi Guys!
How competitive are graduate/vacationer programs?
Do you need previous work experience in their applications? If you don't have any work experience will you be disadvantaged?
Thanks!

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
I wanna know this too. What sort of grades are we looking at for those programs?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Extremely competitive.

Previous experience in the organisation you are applying for is not necessary but an advantage. Prior experience in professional firms/volunteering etc. is essential. Your application will be binned if it isn't good enough. It's essentially impossible to get an interview without it.

Some organisations have a credit average requirement while some have a distinction average requirement. If you don't meet these, assume your application will be binned (that is, they are the bare minimum - just meeting the requirement guarantees nothing unless you are spectacular in other areas).

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
Extremely competitive.

Previous experience in the organisation you are applying for is not necessary but an advantage. Prior experience in professional firms/volunteering etc. is essential. Your application will be binned if it isn't good enough. It's essentially impossible to get an interview without it.

Some organisations have a credit average requirement while some have a distinction average requirement. If you don't meet these, assume your application will be binned (that is, they are the bare minimum - just meeting the requirement guarantees nothing unless you are spectacular in other areas).
Let's assume one organisation has a credit average requirement. What are the chances that a person with a credit will get in compared to those with distinction / HD. Does it lean more towards the grades or ECs? Generally what do you think the median grade is for those programs?

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
Extremely competitive.

So by volunteering, do you mean volunteer work such as salvos, legacy badge week, st vinnies etc?
Would taking part in student societies and clubs also count?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Let's assume one organisation has a credit average requirement. What are the chances that a person with a credit will get in compared to those with distinction / HD. Does it lean more towards the grades or ECs? Generally what do you think the median grade is for those programs?
From what I understand, an organisation won't use grades as a metric to decide who is appropriate; rather they will firstly cull using grades and then use grades as a way to compare against other applicants in further stages. Prior work experience and ECs are most important.

So by volunteering, do you mean volunteer work such as salvos, legacy badge week, st vinnies etc?
Would taking part in student societies and clubs also count?
More so ECs rather than things relating to charities unless you're involved on a regular basis.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Since pyschometric testing + online applications are the norm now I can't imagine this happens as blatantly anymore, but an accounting lecturer I had last semester told us that as a cadet with a big 4 firm he was asked to sort new applicants by marks/grades (he didn't elaborate on what they used or anything). They had a number of people they could interview or consider in detail and they took that amount off the top and didn't look at the rest.

Moral of the story is that marks aren't everything but it can be hard to differentiate yourself any other way until you get your foot in the door.

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
Since pyschometric testing + online applications are the norm now I can't imagine this happens as blatantly anymore, but an accounting lecturer I had last semester told us that as a cadet with a big 4 firm he was asked to sort new applicants by marks/grades (he didn't elaborate on what they used or anything). They had a number of people they could interview or consider in detail and they took that amount off the top and didn't look at the rest.

Moral of the story is that marks aren't everything but it can be hard to differentiate yourself any other way until you get your foot in the door.
holy mother lord Jesus.. so ec's don't mean jack if you don't get the grades. lol

RishBonjour

HSC
Hi Guys!
How competitive are graduate/vacationer programs?
Do you need previous work experience in their applications? If you don't have any work experience will you be disadvantaged?
Thanks!
You should know this - yes, you will certainly be disadvantaged. Does this mean your application gets chucked out? no.

It depends what you're after. Big 4 internships are competitive. IB internships or big banks are extremely competitive from what I hear.
They generally just want to see if you're well rounded. Note that well rounded doesn't mean - average marks, average 'EC' and average work experience - you should be hitting excellent in at least one of them.

A good friend of mine had a hd average, ranked a couple of units, worked in customer service when he was younger, is very involved in one of our university societies - got offered an internship at a big4 6 months before applications opened. I was on the same boat except I worked part-time (2 days a week) and volunteered with an external society.

Basically, if you balance your life out, you have a great shot at internships :)

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Internships are becoming more and more important.

This is VERY interesting, from the PwC website.

We fill the vast majority of our graduate roles via our Student Programs (e.g. vacationers, trainees). For the few remaining graduate roles, PwC will be hiring graduates through channels typically used in experienced hire recruitment (such as LinkedIn and other social media channels, university engagement and direct targeting for niche skills and university degree backgrounds). Applications to the Graduate Program are no longer accepted.
http://www.pwc.com.au/careers/student/programs/graduate/index.htm

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
Okay, so after you've been selected based on your resume (assuming you've got the grades, ECs and is a well rounded individual), what happens in the interview?
What questions will be asked?

Last edited:

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Okay, so after you've been selected based on your resume (assuming you've got the grades, ECs and is a well rounded individual), what happens in the interview?
What questions will be asked?
Click the PwC link, it has the whole application process you go through.

Also check the "commerce/business" section of the forum, it has PLENTY of threads about the questions asked in cadetship/internship interviews.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)