Graduate vs undergraduate entry (1 Viewer)

eddy11

HSC
What are the pros and cons. Why is a undergraduate degree anywhere from 5-7 years, but a graduate degree only 4. Im assuming all the same topics are covered but in a smaller time frame. Im considering doing 3 year Bachelor Behavioural Neuroscience at Monash and then doing the 4 year graduate MBBS or the 7 year MBBS at UNSW. Anyone doing med gradute degree i would appreciate any input as to whether they think their course is a lot more intense then say a 7 year 'marathon' MBBS at UNSW etc.

cheers

Last edited:

eddy11

HSC
krayzie_ said:
Wow. Is it that easy to transfer into MBBS these days?
i sure hope so. but i know it isnt, its just a plan, and im considering my options, either way i know getting into and through med is going to be hard, im just curious regarding why a 7 year course may be more/less beneficial then a 3 year bachelor of (?) followed by a 4 year MBBS. Why i didn't make myself clearer in the first post is unknown to me.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
UNSW course is 6 years not 7(unless u do hons) also it's 6 years instead of 5 as you have to do a research component.

eddy11

HSC
oh ok, i was completely unaware of that, thanks, that clears up a bit of confusion i had as to why the newcastle-UNE joint medical program was 5 years.

doink

Clone
HSC
basically undergrad med has 3 yrs of clinical rotations whereas grad med has only 2, so that is where the extra year comes from usually, some universities are different and yes all topics are covered. The reason unis are switching over to grad med is that they believe that students who have previously completed a uni degree will be more mature and in the mindset of how to study at university level, this means less input needed in that area from the university which is a plus obviously.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
with the GAMSAT it is assumed u kinda did about 0.5 yrs of science required for the medical degree

yr 12 leavers and UG med = first 2-3 yrs are usually normal semesters.. so about 24-26 weeks per yr, clinical is about 36-48weeks depending on the exam load.

Grad Med = most yrs are about 42 weeks and some places its up to 48 weeks

btw these are 52 week years.. yep... .. 4 weeks of proper holidays lolz

ok.. for those that know .. the extra 6 weeks can come from elective placements.

Bond is an example of like how 'tight' for time the medical courses are ... they bought monashs.. 5yr course.. with the trimesters and all their fancy things.. they strunk it down to 4.8 yrs.. :\

most holidays u still need to read and do things to keep up.. otherwise u just fall behind easily..unless ur exceptionally bright

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Hey Point, how much hand-on research do you have to do for your med degree? UNSW has a research component where students join a research lab for a semester or so. Did you do that? How did you find it?

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Wooz said:
UNSW course is 6 years not 7(unless u do hons) also it's 6 years instead of 5 as you have to do a research component.
It's still only 6 years if you do MBBS/BMedSci(hons), though it is 7 years if you do BA/MBBS. You can do the UNSW degree in 5 years if you have done honours/masters/etc previously.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Survivor39 said:
Hey Point, how much hand-on research do you have to do for your med degree? UNSW has a research component where students join a research lab for a semester or so. Did you do that? How did you find it?
actualli you do very minimal.. in the avg medical degree.. but because its a pay cut to do it.. and getting experienced ppl is hard.. i ended up being trained in the summers to do a heap of stuff

mostly clinical studies than lab work tho

hows the PhD ... u about to swap teams? lol

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
actualli you do very minimal.. in the avg medical degree.. but because its a pay cut to do it.. and getting experienced ppl is hard.. i ended up being trained in the summers to do a heap of stuff

mostly clinical studies than lab work tho

hows the PhD ... u about to swap teams? lol
Oh. it would be good though for those who wish to pursue a PhD later on the track to gain some lab experience during their med degree.

PhD is going well. Got 1 paper published, another two in the middle of a long peer-review process. Can't complain I suppose! Not sure what will happen with the "swap" but I should know by the end of the year.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Survivor39 said:
Oh. it would be good though for those who wish to pursue a PhD later on the track to gain some lab experience during their med degree.

PhD is going well. Got 1 paper published, another two in the middle of a long peer-review process. Can't complain I suppose! Not sure what will happen with the "swap" but I should know by the end of the year.
yeah there is tat ... but its a funny thing most of the medical practitioners do their PhDs in clinical work cos BMedSc ppl do the la work better..

i have done lab work for research during my UG tho but i my feeling from my bosses is that u dun do a lab work one unless ur the pathology trainee... but then clinical is our field so we end up doing tat more

qp

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
yeah there is tat ... but its a funny thing most of the medical practitioners do their PhDs in clinical work cos BMedSc ppl do the la work better..

i have done lab work for research during my UG tho but i my feeling from my bosses is that u dun do a lab work one unless ur the pathology trainee... but then clinical is our field so we end up doing tat more
Well, you can still do basic sciences and balance that up with a clinical load and not end up doing path lol - endocrinologists and their biochem, infectious diseases/immunologists and their immu...although I agree, clinical trials + clinical work fits much more naturally.

Lukybear

HSC
Hey survivor did u have to do a masters to do a Ph.D??

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Lukybear said:
Hey survivor did u have to do a masters to do a Ph.D??
You can skip Masters and go straight into a PhD if you get a First Class Honours (85-100) or Honours Second Class Division I (75-84) in a Bachelor degree.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
jessi90 said:
Survivor, what does a PhD involve?
Research Research Research! For Science PhD students we spend time doing experiments in the lab and try to discover something novel. For example I am trying to show that a group of bacteria isolated from patients can invade human cells, and in doing so, we may be able to show that the bacteria possess virulence factors that may contribute to disease. Other times we spend on analysing our data and publish our findings in scientific journals. Some PhD students also teach undergraduate students.

jessi90

HSC
Sounds awesome. Do you get paid at the moment (for researching) or are you still essentially a "student"?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
jessi90 said:
Sounds awesome. Do you get paid at the moment (for researching) or are you still essentially a "student"?
ive known him before he was rich and famous :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)