Grammarly for advanced english (1 Viewer)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Although I did not use it during year 12, I found Grammarly to be effective in ensuring that you maintain high grammatical accuracy in addition to appropriate sentence structure. Regarding grammatical accuracy in particular, I feel that Grammarly is superior to other software that detects grammatical errors, such as Word. This is especially the case with long and complex sentences, where Word may not detect and inform you that a particular word should be written differently, whereas Grammarly does so successfully. In terms of sentence structure, I noticed that Grammarly focus quite a bit on punctuation, particularly commas, also to a greater extent than Word.

I hope this helps! :D

Porogamiii

HSC
If you don't want to pay, I personally found LanguageTool free to be better than Grammarly free.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Apparently it's garbage.
Helped me a lot for my PhD (the last month before thesis submission). For context, my thesis was around 300 pages (including all figures etc), maybe 150 pages of writing. In the end, one reviewer gave me minor corrections and the other gave no corrections - almost no comments were grammar/punctuation/spelling because most were picked up by Grammarly.

It's a very good piece of software if you use it correctly. For example, it will call out any passive voice which is good because passive voice usually means your writing is dog shit (there's a small number of situations where passive voice is correct). You just need to know when to ignore Grammarly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)