Graphics card problem (1 Viewer)

absorber

HSC
Yeah I dunno where I'm meant to post this exactly, hopefully this is alright. I've already received advice from friends about this, but I figured no harm in asking for more.

I've had a DIY-assembled comp (with help of a friend) for close to six months. My graphics card, an ATI radeon 5570, is giving me problems. And yes, I am sure it is the graphics card.

The problem relates to 3d animation. For example, if I were to open up a game like portal, or cod6, upon entering a game (or in the case of portal the 3d-animated menu) things freeze up. The screen goes black, or alternatively, a colour consistent with the background of the animation it's trying to produce. My computer basically freezes for a couple of seconds. Then I get a pop-up saying 'graphics driver froze, re-started successfully (something along those lines, anyway).

The programs often stop responding and freeze when this happens. However, sometimes, after a battle with the g card of up to about 5 minutes, the computer can begin to properly show the animation.

The problem is not the drivers; I have reinstalled them several times. I haven't gone beyond software though. I've been recommended to reinstall windows 7, or clean out my comp and make sure things are re-fitted and fit properly into their slots etc etc. Is there anything else I could have missed? Thoughts?
-thanks

HSC
Uni Grad
It doesn't seem like a software problem rather a hardware problem.

Is your graphics card overclocked? The card may be running on unstable clocks.

absorber

HSC
It doesn't seem like a software problem rather a hardware problem.

Is your graphics card overclocked? The card may be running on unstable clocks.
No, nothing in my computer is overclocked. I know little about this, but intuitively it seems more likely a hardware problem. The card's fan makes a certain buzzing sound when it's showing 3d graphics, and when it struggles I've noticed it doesn't buzz.

HSC
Uni Grad
Is the fan spinning? Your card's symptoms are similar to those of an overheating graphics card.

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
I would say overheating card. Check if there's a stack of dust on the card because it can cause the fan to have trouble spinning.

Try the card in a friend's pc to make totally sure that it is the card that is the problem.

If nothing works, its possible the card has failed prematuraly. It does happen. Send it back for a replacement if its only 6 months old.

absorber

HSC
Thanks yall.
I haven't had the time to have a decent look at how it operates when it's on; but I know the fan starts spinning a lot more, if not starts from complete stoppage, when it finally manages to run the 3d graphics. A stack of dust is plausible, and I aim to clean it out soon...Of course, I've had this comp for less than 6 months, so huge dust buildup seems unlikely.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Never underestimate how fast dust can build up. Obviously it depends on your case and room etc but dust is a big PC killer.

absorber

HSC
Never underestimate how fast dust can build up. Obviously it depends on your case and room etc but dust is a big PC killer.
None of the other fans are any more loud than when I bought it. My computer is off the ground, I don't have carpet, no pets...The lowest risk of dust buildup really. Just saying. We had (and still have) a dell we didn't clean for 4 or 5 years and even though you were afraid it'd blow up every time you turned it on it didn't. Computers can also surprise :).

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
dude, your graphics card is dead or on its way out, your VRAM - (memory onboard your graphics card has died possibly due to heat) etc...

Buy a new graphics card problem solved, or if your computer came with a back up intgrated graphics on your mobo run that, through BIOS..

This same problem happened to me, ended up taking out the g card and just running on mobo graphics which is great but can't run intensive games.

PS: your screen flahses black etc, and that little error pops up right, every time. and crtl alt delte works i think?

absorber

HSC
dude, your graphics card is dead or on its way out, your VRAM - (memory onboard your graphics card has died possibly due to heat) etc...

Buy a new graphics card problem solved, or if your computer came with a back up intgrated graphics on your mobo run that, through BIOS..

This same problem happened to me, ended up taking out the g card and just running on mobo graphics which is great but can't run intensive games.

PS: your screen flahses black etc, and that little error pops up right, every time. and crtl alt delte works i think?
Lame if you're right. Any explanation as to how it could be 'on its way out' after so little time, though?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Its a DIY PC, you guys probably discharged some of your stupidity into the GPU.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Lame if you're right. Any explanation as to how it could be 'on its way out' after so little time, though?
the companies make them cheaper now, my g card was just under 2 yrs old before it died i know...cheap hp shit...and my 10 yr comp still work perfectly fine...explain that 1 o_O...there all cheap bas. quality not the same anymore, they want u to keep buying new shit all the time

Last edited:

absorber

HSC
the companies make them cheaper now, my g card was just under 2 yrs old before it died i know...cheap hp shit...and my 10 yr comp still work perfectly fine...explain that 1 o_O...there all cheap bas. quality not the same anymore, they want u to keep buying new shit all the time
'HP' shit? How much did you pay for your g card? Did it have a warranty?

absorber

HSC
Well...did you use a Static band.
No, but my understanding is that if I had damaged my computer thru lack of use of a static band, the entire thing wouldn't work. It wouldn't be working intermittently.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
No..you could of shorted something out on your GPU and thats why its being pissy.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
'HP' shit? How much did you pay for your g card? Did it have a warranty?
bro the guy at domain ripped us off, bastard...the comp was like $999, but ended up to be like $1800 after the screen and he added $400 or something to it..rip off, explains y they dont sell comps anymore. Harvey do that now (their one company i think).

The g card was a stock, it had a shitty small fan, and looked like it died or got cooked, during the last moments of its life ity eneded up having temps of 80 - 90s just on idle sometimes 66. etc, PS: the fan was working properly...i never used a electronic static strap lol

and just before my g crad died , i lost 1 gb amount of 2 gb , but i somehow fixed it but reseating it, but after i got 2 gb ram back my g card went on its way out grrr

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)