great way to revise (1 Viewer)

mariannebags

HSC
N/A
Dear All,
I know you are all madly revising for your trials, so here is some advice from a teacher . I found these great videos on youtube and if you havent seen them before, enjoy! Look up "crash course biology" on youtube and you'll get Hank Green giving great summaries of the excretory system, mendel etc. They are very close to what you need for the HSC, and I plan to use them with my 12 bio class. Also, he does the science show- scishow on your tube. Look up pasteur experiment, for instance, and you'll get a great summary of the experiment.
While on youtube, look up past HSC biology exams and you'll find someone going through past multiple choice exams step by step.

Other tips: go to HSC online for summaries, re-summaries in your own words, do a past paper, online at board of studies, then see where you weren't sure, look up more info, keep retesting ( use online testing from BOS) and just set yourself a plan to revise say 30 minutes each subject everyday. of course more would be better, but I'm mainly talking to people who dont know where to start.

When doing you summary notes, try to think of memory trick eg phloem= photosynthesis products and do use colour in your notes eg photosynthesis green pen.

Any other tips from anyone ?

RishBonjour

HSC
http://www.youtube.com/user/Letslearnscience

Quite useful - I remember when this guy had 1 subscriber (now 2500+) - was lucky enough to be one of the first to see his videos. It is good for a general overview of all topics + dot points. I do recommend looking at other textbooks and consulting with your teachers if you come across anything that contradicts your understanding.

Also, yes HSC online is a GREAT resource - but I would say ultimately you shouldn't rely on it - you should make more comprehensive notes for Band 6.

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
letslearnscience is good, also a recent biology video source I've found on youtube that is really useful for first year biology students at uni and has sections useful content for HSC biology students is http://www.youtube.com/user/bozemanbiology . Highly recommend any of the genetics sections videos on mitosis vs meiosis, basic mendelian crosses etc. and if you are doing the genetics option in the hsc, the further vids on dihybrids and that would prove useful.

I detest HSC online for biology, I think it is only useful used sparingly. Some of the notes on this website are of far greater use, they are very good and useful summaries.

But I think the greatest advice is that, in the end, no matter how pretty your notes are or how often you read over them, it counts for nothing if you cannot apply the content in exam situations. You must be able to look at the question confidently, know exactly what the verb describe, evaluate etc. is asking you to do, and write a structured and knowledgable response. I had my own summaries written that I read over and tweaked a lot and used a lot of memory tricks key to me (I'm a big colour coder). Also before the actual HSC, I made big summary posters to reinforce content in a different way, like sketching the kidney and annotating it etc. and focusing on any dotpoints I didn't know 100%.

mariannebags

HSC
N/A
i agree with you guys, but if you for people who dont know HOW to start, its better to start somewhere. letslearnscience... that's another good one I came across thanks for reminding me.... you guys are so good !!

RishBonjour

HSC
i agree with you guys, but if you for people who dont know HOW to start, its better to start somewhere. letslearnscience... that's another good one I came across thanks for reminding me.... you guys are so good !!
Yeah, they are great resources, but - don't take anything on the internet as valid - always check. I learnt almost everything for communication off this guy: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLBohbbgb9b138zWn-9maEQ. Made my notes from hear (pun intended) - great visuals and in-depth explanations (especially since you can write a lot for communication - and one of the easiest options - best to have detailed (but relevant) answers) (This guy is qualified too).

Yeah Bozemanbiology is great - but I thought most were outside the scope of HSC biology and a tad too slow.

mariannebags

HSC
N/A
Just about to try and teach communication to my guys at a fast pace so we have time to revise- i'll be definitely looking at your suggestion - thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)