• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Greater Union Cinema (1 Viewer)

only_me

HSC
Hi guys, just wondering if anybody works or has worked at Greater Union. The one near me is expanding and looking for people, so I'm going to apply. You apply in person, followed by an interview, so does anybody know what I should expect? It never says anything about group activities or a basic test (you know, like, you charge $15, they pay with $50, how much change...) So, if its just an interview, what kind of questions should I prepare for? Any advice will be appreciated!!!

Lundy

Banned
HSC
You should be prepared for questions asking you what you'd do in certain situations, why you want to work with GU, what your strengths and goals are, etc etc.

pottsy44

HSC
um greater union DOES make u do those test where u have to work out change etc. they also DO group interviews. the process is something along the lines of, group interview then maybe a follow up interview one-on-one or you in front of 2-3 people.

im assuming ur talking about campbelltown greater union? ye when i was applying there they said u should only expect 3 hours a week and most likely be working a friday or saturday night, so i just gave up on the idea lol.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
When I applied I only had a one-on-one interview. Then again this was like 5 years ago :eek:

only_me

HSC
yep, it is the one at Campbelltown... When did u speak to them? Did they say they would be doing group interviews? The idea of that really doesn't appeal to me, either does only 3 hours per week... Now I'm not sure if I should go... But I really need a job... What do you guys think about dragging a friend along for moral support, she'd proberly end up applying too... I know the less people there the more chance for me, but I think I'll need moral support, especially if there is a group interview... Help!

HSC
pottsy44 said:
im assuming ur talking about campbelltown greater union? ye when i was applying there they said u should only expect 3 hours a week and most likely be working a friday or saturday night, so i just gave up on the idea lol.

awesome!! haha macarthur advertiser right? or was it the chronicle? gah.

hey i wasn't gonna go because i have full time uni, about 24-25 hours per week all the way at UNSW monday to friday, but if its just friday and saturday nights, hell yeah!

guess i have nothing to lose, i'm thinking of applying there now.

this saturday, right?

HSC
mini bump.

question - what should i be wearing for the application stage/hopefully interview stage? i think a suit is a bit ott, but i dont know.

sarevok

HSC
lol yeah don't wear a suit

i applied at greater union a few years ago and wore a plain white collared shirt and a nice pair of black pants and black shoes. this was for a group int a few years ago, most people seemed to be wearing something similar

then again i didn't get a job

HSC
sarevok said:
lol yeah don't wear a suit

i applied at greater union a few years ago and wore a plain white collared shirt and a nice pair of black pants and black shoes. this was for a group int a few years ago, most people seemed to be wearing something similar

then again i didn't get a job

unlucky on not getting the job.

yeah that sounds about right, light coloured/white collared shirt with black pants and black shoes.

uhh never had a group interview before...whats that like?

monique66

I asked for an application at GU last week and they gave me some form I still need to fill out. The lady said that most people that work there are uni students and you get the job based on availability.

HSC
oresum, well i'm going to have pretty bad availability...but hey, i'm still 17 for a few months more, if GU are looking for cheap labour on friday or sat nights, i'm there.

HSC
mini bump.

holy fuck! GU didnt even have a look at my app form, resume or portfolio! there were hundreds of people there, i got there at ~9am, half an hour before scheduled start, and the line was fucking long, didnt even get into school grounds until 11am. psycho. apparently my availability was far too shit, GU dont have time for full-time uni students :(

only_me

HSC
I completly agree! I never got in at all- I waited for 3 hours before they told us to fill out the form and leave! I never got any sort of a call back, but apparrently thye only wanted people who are free all of the time, thus, not us dedicated uni students!!! It's rediculous...:(

HSC
I work at Greater Union now (though it was originally hoyts) and we have hundreds of resumes just sitting in the resume box, no manager has bothered looking at them yet. And apparantly when they DO look at them, they chuck out all the older peoples resumes and keep all the young, available a lot kids. More money for them. It really is a shite job, but I need the money.

Elemie

HSC
does anyone know if there are any available spots for a yr 10 student in Castle Towers GU?- maybe as a first job. or is it too ambitious? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)