Greatest Xi For Each Team- Cricket (1 Viewer)

beabenn

tambourine man
HSC
Greatest Aussie Test XI

I have always thought about naming the greatest Australian test cricket team of all time. So here's my controversial offering...

W Lawry
M Hayden
D Bradman
G Chappell
A Border (vc)
S Waugh (c)
A Gilchrist (wk)
S Warne
D Lillee
J Thomson
G McGrath

I had trouble selecting openers, Simpson and Taylor should get honorable mentions. I couldn't fit Ponting in the side due to the sheer weight of runs scored by Waugh and AB. I also considered replavcing Thompson with Ray Lindwall,
any other suggestions for another quick? I guess the other three bowlers select themselves.
Also Healy or Gilchrist?
Also no all rounders, so miller, davison and benaud should get a mention.

Here's my greatest POM (english) XI of all time

W Hammond (c)
J Hobbs
L Hutton (vc)
K Barrington
D Compton
I Botham
A Stewart (wk)
D Gough
A Bedser
J Snow
J Laker

Another very strong batting line-up but I had difficulty picking pace bowlers,
beefy botham selected himself, any other suggestions?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
beabenn said:
I have always thought about naming the greatest Australian test cricket team of all time. So here's my controversial offering...
W Lawry
M Hayden
D Bradman
G Chappell
A Border (vc)
S Waugh (c)
A Gilchrist (wk)
S Warne
D Lillee
J Thomson
G McGrath
I had trouble selecting openers, Simpson and Taylor should get honorable mentions. I couldn't fit Ponting in the side due to the sheer weight of runs scored by Waugh and AB. I also considered replavcing Thompson with Ray Lindwall,
any other suggestions for another quick? I guess the other three bowlers select themselves.
Also Healy or Gilchrist?
Also no all rounders, so miller, davison and benaud should get a mention.
Here's my greatest POM (english) XI of all time
W Hammond (c)
J Hobbs
L Hutton (vc)
K Barrington
D Compton
I Botham
A Stewart (wk)
D Gough
A Bedser
J Snow
J Laker
Another very strong batting line-up but I had difficulty picking pace bowlers,
beefy botham selected himself, any other suggestions?
u nuts! hayden is shit compared this lot. u missing heaps of players consider:
Victor Trumper
Neil Harvey
Clarrie Grimmett
Bill O'Reilly

W Lawry
R.Ponting
D Bradman
G Chappell
A Border (vc)
S Waugh (c)
A Gilchrist (wk)
S Warne
D Lillee
Bill'Oreilly
G McGrath
K.Miller (12th man)

Pakistan Greatest XI
S.Anwar
H.Mohammed
Z.Abbas
I.Ul'Haq
M.Yusuf
S.Malik
K.Akmal
I.Khan (C)
W.Akram
S.Nawaz
A.Qadir
W.Younis (12th man)

Indian Greatest XI - there are some awesome batsman that missed out, Hazare,Vengarska etc
S.Gavasker
V.Sehwag
R.Dravid (C)
S.Tendulkar
P.Umrigar
V.Mankad
F.Engineer
K.Dev (vc)
A.Kumble
J.Srinath
B.Bedi

beabenn

tambourine man
HSC
the question is...who would beat who?
The indian and pakistani teams look pretty weak compared to the aussies and the poms.
I reckon a windies side led by worrell and sobers and a pace quartet (ambrose, holding, marshall, walsh/roberts/garner) would kick any team
If my aussie and english team would have played in ye olden days full of uncovered pitches, i reckon the poms will win. Forget murali...laker is the king

Bookie

Banned
HSC
Mate, change the subject of your first post to 'Greatest All Time XIs'.

anyway, off the top of my head with no second thoughts

Australia;

Lawry
Hayden (yes, he has been magnificent)
Bradman
Ponting
G Chappel
S Waugh (c)
Gilchrist (wk)
Warne
Lillee
Thompson
McGrath

England (i have nfi);

Hammond (c)
Boycott
Sutcliffe
Hobbs
Hutton
Barrington
Gower
Ames/Stewart (cant choose....)(wk)
Botham
Statham
Trueman

South Africa

G Kirsten
Smith (yes, he is good enough already)
G Pollock
Gibbs
Kallis
Cronje (c)
Boucher (wk)
S Pollock
P Pollock
F de Villiers / Proctor (proctor didnt play enough, but he creamed it when he did)
Donald

India;

S Gavaskar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Ganguly (c)
Kirmani (wk)
Kapil Dev
Irfan Pathan (he has proved himself worthy imo)
Kumble
Bishen Bedi
Srinath

cbf doing the rest

Bookie

Banned
HSC
How about posting our greatest WORLD ODI XIs.

Greatest ODI XI

Sachin Tendulkar
Sourav Ganguly (c)
Ricky Ponting
Viv Richards
Jacques Kallis
Lance Klusener
Michael Bevan
Chris Cairns / Shane Warne
Shaun Pollock
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

xlr8-crillz

HSC
bookie ur a complete idiot to put ganguly, kallis, klusener and ffs Bevan

King2

HSC
Australia
1. W.H. Ponsford
2. V.T. Trumper
3. D.G. Bradman (c)
4. S.J. McCabe
5. R.N. Harvey
6. K.R. Miller
7. Adam Gilchrist (wk)
8. R.R. Lindwall
9. S.K. Warne
10. D.K. Lillee
11. Gleen McGrath

The Greatest XI of the world’s strongest team in the history of cricket. Could this be really the top 11? Well, in my opinion it is but there are some players who could consider themselves unlucky. Miller was chosen at 6 so a second spinner could be chosen and O'Reilley being the case.

Don Tallon - Don was Australia's finest wicketkeeper and in Australia’s history of cricket, he still is. The reason why he was not chosen as keeper was because Gilchrist is a much stronger batsman than Don. Yes, Don acquired the qualities of a wicketkeeper but I guess Gilchrist has the all round qualities and this is needed to be a good keeper.

W.J. O'Reilly - I gave this a lot of thought and I came to the conclusion that most of the matches are going to be played on pitches where spin is not very high priority. Even if it was to be a spinner’s paradise, Warne would definitely be able to handle the spin department to himself.

Clarrie Grimmett - Another spinner who couldn’t find his way on to the team due to the strength of the spinners.

Ritchie Benaud - Another spinner who couldn’t find his way on to the team due to the strength of the spinners.

Bangladesh
1. Javed Omar
2. Athar Ali Khan (c)
3. Shahriar Nafees
4. Aftab Ahmed
5. Mohammed Ashraful
6. Animul Islam
7. Habibul Bashar
8. Khaled Mashmud (wk)
9. Mohammed Rafique
10. Mashrafe Mortaza
11. Enamul Haque jnr

The newcomers of test cricketers were surprisely hard to pick due to my lack of knowledge of the team itself and their players. The side above is based as an ODI since it would be impossible to judge a team on their Test status players. There are a few notables which are not in the team include the former captains, Khaled Mahmud and Akram Kham. Tushar Imran, the number three batsmen for Bangladesh was another batsman who was left out and also the Bangladeshi allrounder Rajin Saleh was left out. Manjural Islam and Manjural Islam Rana were another two were left out.

England
1. J.B. Hobbs
2. H. Sutcliffe
3. L. Hutton
4. W.G. Grace (c)
5. W.R. Hammond
6. I.T. Botham
7. W. Rhodes
8. T.G. Evans (wk)
9. H. Larwood
10. A.V Bedser
11. S. F. Barnes

Not too many options with this team. The famous opening pair was retained with Hutton named at three. I included a 3rd pace bowler instead of a second spinner.

Jimmy Laker - The most famous spinner of all time due to his 19 wicket haul against Australia during the 1950's. Laker is still one of the greatest English spinners of all time. If the team included two spinners, Laker would of been included but in my opinion Rhodes was a weaker bowler than Laker but Rhodes has the ability to bat anywhere in the order, from 1st to last.

Alan Knott - Knott is definitely one of England’s best keepers during their long history. Evans in my opinion was arguably the best wicket-keeper the game has ever seen. Knott is an excellent keeper but I just think he is not better than Evans.

Freddy Trueman - Freddy is a brilliant bowler with great stats to back that claim but the team already boasts such wonders as Larwood, Bedser and Barnes and there was just no room for 'Fiery Fred'.

Frank Tyson - They say he was the fastest bowler, man has ever seen but why is he not in this lineup? Well it is exactly the same reason for Trueman. The team already boasts of Larwood, Bedser and Barnes but no room for Tyson. Definitely a brilliant bowler and attaining a wonderful bowling average of 18 but there was just no room.

Denis Compton - Wheres Compton? He is no doubt a prolific batsmen during his time and the only change that i would change in order to put him in the batting line up is to swap him for Grace, but in my opinion since it was near impossible to bat during Graces era, he still averaged a modest average of over 30. YOu also have to take into account that more than 54,000 first-class runs (there are at least two different versions of the precise figure, so let's leave it at that) spread across 44 seasons, including 839 in just eight days of 1876 and 2,800-odd wickets costing less than 18 runs apiece were made by Grace.

New Zealand
1. G.M. Turner
2. C.S. Dempster
3. B.Sutcliffe
4. M.P. Donnelly
5. M.D. Crowe
6. J.R. Reid (c)
7. B.R. Taylor
8. R.J. Hadlee
9. I.D.S Smith (wk)
10. Daniel Vettori
11. J.Cowie

A highly competitive team where there are no present players in the line up. The batting boasts such as players as Crowe and Sutcliffe while the bowling boasts of New Zealands greatest bowler, Richard Hadlee and J. Cowie. Stephen Fleming and Bracewell were unlucky to miss out.

India
1. S.M. Gavaskar (c)
2. V.M. Merchant
3. V.S. Hazare
4. S.R. Tendulkar
5. R. Dravid
6. M.H. Mankad
7. P.R. Umrigar
8. Kapil Dev
9. S.M.H Kirmani (wk)
10. B.S. Bedi
11. B.S Chandrasekhar

Rich in talent in the batting and spin bowling departments but lacking in the fast bowling. Two outstanding allrounders, Mankad and Umrigar, give the side bowling depth while Prassanna, Gupte and Kumble were unlucky to miss out.

Pakistan
1. Hanif Mohammad (c)
2. Majid Khan
3. Zaheer Abbas
4. Javed Miandad
5. Mustaq Mohammad
6. Inzamam Ul Haq
7. Imran Khan
8. Wasim Akram
9. Wasim Bari (wk)
10. Abdul Qadir
11. Fazal Mahmood

Another powerful team with attractive strokeplay batsmen and an outstnading attack. Asif Iqbal and Waqaur Younis were unlucky to miss out.
Sri Lanka
1. S.T. Jayasuriya
2. R.L Dias
3. A.P Gurusinha
4. P.A. de Silva
5. A. Ranatunga (c)
6. K. Sangakkara (wk)
7. J.R. Ratnayeke
8. W.P.J.U.C. Vaas
9. D.S. de Silva
10. R.J. Ratnayake
11. M. Muralitharan

Only two world-class bowlers out of the team with moderate batting depth. Plenty of experience for a young cricketing nation.

South Africa
1. B.A. Richards
2. B. Mitchell
3. A.D. Nourse (c)
4. R.G. Pollock
5. J. Kallis
6. Mark Boucher (wk)
7. M.J. Procter
8. P.M. Pollock
9. H.J. Tayfield
10. A.A. Donald
11. N.A.T. Adcock

This team just about picked itself. Great batting depth and bowling depth with plenty of attacking bowlers. Brilliant opening pair with some attacking batsmen in the middle order. J.H.B Waite was unlucky to miss out due to his batting making way for Mark Boucher.

West Indies
1. F.M.M. Worrell (c)
2. R.B. Kanhai
3. G.A. Headley
4. E.D. Weekes
5. B. Lara
6. G.S. Sobers
7. C.L. Walcott (wk)
8. M.M. Marshall
9. W.W. Hall
10. J. Garner
11. L.R. Gibbs

With so magnificent players, this team was by far the most difficult to select. I had to make the biggest scarifice by cutting Richards from the team for Brian Lara. Then there is the fast-bowling talent !. Holding, Ambrose, Walsh, Croft, Roberts.. the list just goes on.

Zimbabwe
1. G.W. Flower
2. K.J. Arnott
3. M.W. Goodwin
4. A. Flower (wk)
5. D.L. Houghton (c)
6. A.D.R. Campbell
7. G.J. Whittall
8. P.A. Strang
9. H.H. Streak
10. H.K. Olonga
11. R.W. Price

A new Test-playing nation that doesnt not have a relatively strong team with a few exceptions. Heath Streak carries alot of burden in the bowling department while Houghton captains this team

Last edited:

Vampire

KOLLARZUP!!
HSC
STFU xlr8-crillz, at his prime klusener was better than anyone else...as for Bevan his record speaks for itself.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
loser said:
So a 10000+ runscorer/ the worlds highest averging batsman / the cleanest and greatest striker of the ball / the greatest man to play one dayers shouldnt be in my one day team?

king2 said:
South Africa
1. B.A. Richards
2. B. Mitchell
3. A.D. Nourse (c)
4. R.G. Pollock
5. J. Kallis
6. Mark Boucher (wk)
7. M.J. Procter
8. P.M. Pollock
9. H.J. Tayfield
10. A.A. Donald
11. N.A.T. Adcock
Why no S.M. Pollock? Are you mad?

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
xlr8-crillz said:
How many times have you seen Bevan save Australia in an ODI? I've lost count. Ganguly in his prime was one of the most feared ODI batsmen in the World, and Klusener, well his bowling and batting average speaks for itself, not to mention his strike rate.

King2

HSC
Bookie said:
So a 10000+ runscorer/ the worlds highest averging batsman / the cleanest and greatest striker of the ball / the greatest man to play one dayers shouldnt be in my one day team?

Why no S.M. Pollock? Are you mad?
No, I am not mad. If your talking about the Shaun five years ago, i would of put him in the team but now his pace is under 130km/h and therfore he is not getting the results that he produced back then. ALso, you already have enough allrounder with four in the line up and one hell of a bowling attack.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
king2 said:
No, I am not mad. If your talking about the Shaun five years ago, i would of put him in the team but now his pace is under 130km/h and therfore he is not getting the results that he produced back then. ALso, you already have enough allrounder with four in the line up and one hell of a bowling attack.
So Adcock and Tayfield, whom youve never seen are forerunners to possibly the greatest allrounder (after Sobers) ever? This guy who has played 97 tests, captained them more than half the time, has notched up 3000 runs at 35 with the bat and nearly 4000 wickets at 22 with the ball. Now I dont know what else requires selection for an all time team, but I cant see how you're putting other guys in front of him. Maybe you didnt watch the cricket yesterday, but Pollock bowled like he always used to. Surely the greatest all rounder of this generation wont go amiss

(I'm not arguing with you, becuase you seem to have a wealth of cricket knowledge, but im just baffled by your dismissal of polly)

Vampire

KOLLARZUP!!
HSC
Once again I agree with Bookie...Pollock is still effective, shown just recently by his Motm performance against Australia.

Fast_heinz

HSC
Bookie said:
4000 wickets at 22 with the ball
I wish!

You must have Shaun Pollock there. In his prime, the opening bowling partnership of Pollock/Donald was unbelievable. It's a shame they didn't have great bowlers to continue with after the new ball, as Australia do - I mean, Pat Symcox was cool but he wasn't the best spin bowler.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Adding to that, how many players actually have Shauno's economy rate in ODI over such a long period of time.

Anyway having a look at your NZ XI, here is mine :

Astle
Turner
Crowe
Coney
Twose
Cairns C
McCullum
Hadlee
Cairns L
Vettori
Bond

and somehow i need to make room for Chris Harris, this guy is an absolute legend and its ashame he isnt playing for us anymore. He's taken 200 odd wickets batting at 6/7 and averages around 30 with the bat. Ah the good old days.

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
hey

I have also select4ed few modern era players that should be selected into World XI teams.
Shane Bond
His bowling average of 20ish is astoiunding and one of the best test averages. His ODI record of ~19 is a perfect example of using fast bowling wisely. He usually rips through strong batting lineups, and on par with the likes of dennis lilee and Darren Gough, Alan donald and he shown wat he can accomplish in the NZ team as well as 4 Warwickshire

Michael Bevan
I agree with copious, bevan should be included in any ODI team. He has a knack saving matches and can form strong partnerships with the tailenders. Most would say he was the best ODI batsman ever, and the only batsman that comes close to his ability in the modern era is probably Hussey. We can all see that in last night's cricket match.. It would be foolish of the aust. cirkcet board to drop him, especially for the world cup.
Although he is apparently vulnerable to short-pitch bowling which led to his being ignored by the Test side but that problem is eliminated in the one-day game, where hostile bowling is usually banned :) Bevan's left-arm wrist spin is also useful extra asset, especially in the subcontinent

Adam Gilchrist
Obvioulsy no reason needed lol

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
can;t believe they rested gilchrist...though a good resat will prepare him for the world cup...he seems tired or a bit bored of cricket...i hope it's not the latter...why is warney coming back to ODI?

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
funnybunny said:
great bowling attacks of the modern era

alan donald and shaun pollock
darren Gough and ALan mullay
Flintoff and Harmision
Vass and Murali
Bond and vETTORI
mate what about Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis?

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
copious said:
mate what about Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis?
also a pair from the windies (pick any 2 :D)
and goes without saying, warne and mcgrath

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)