Growing taller.. (1 Viewer)

Pace_T

HSC
im a guy and im only 150cm. is that short?

leoyh

mic`
HSC
170 is short when u stand next to other guys usually. good height for a guy is abt 180. that'd be superb. but can't expect for so much if its based on genetics

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
my bro is 185 cm.... and he drinks a lot of milk. So yeah what they said ;)

on the other hand i'm 175 and i don't drink that much milk...... :uhoh:
You're also a girl. It's expected that you would be shorter.

I think calcium does help though. But more when you're a kid that when you're nearly full grown.

I kind of wish I was a bit shorter: just by a few inches. The longer torso and distribution of body fat gives me more of guy's shape.

Last edited:

GreenLeaf

consultant
HSC
N/A
You're apparently ~4cm taller in the morning than you are in at night, because gravity shrinks you.

Do some leg stretches every night before bed, and hope you get taller. Theres also the theory that you get taller if you hang around groups of tall people, based on evolution haha. Do more jumping exercises, like basketball - why else are basketballers so tall (?)

leoyh

mic`
HSC
yeah theres a great association with doing sport and being tall, but like, sometimes it just doesnt work because of genetic make up. and sometimes, it just does. some ppl grow way taller than their parents, even if they don't play sport, whereas others play heaps and are still as short as their parents

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
SpinCobra said:
Tie your hands to a table or something. And get your brother/sister to pull your legs for a few hours a day. Bound to get some results.
heh, thats what i was gonna say, or he could ask someone to pull his arms too.
This way he has both people stretching him from both ends. ^_^

NinjaSauce

HSC
GreenLeaf said:
You're apparently ~4cm taller in the morning than you are in at night, because gravity shrinks you.
This is true, well, i don't know about 4cm, but yes, you are taller in the morning. Being horizonal has taken the effect of gravity of your spine and discs. They get to over hydrate and become thicker over night. Gravity will pull you back down over the day. You can also hang from a bar or tree and kinda re-create the effect.

Also, this is why you shouldn't weight train (heavy) in the mornings. Your spine is less stable, and bad things can happen :p

GreenLeaf said:
Do some leg stretches every night before bed, and hope you get taller. Theres also the theory that you get taller if you hang around groups of tall people, based on evolution haha. Do more jumping exercises, like basketball - why else are basketballers so tall (?)
Stretching does not make muscles longer. They do not change in length (noticeably), You are merely removing tension and your capacity to handle the stretch. I could go deeper, but i am lazy.

And basket ballers are tall because of basketball? You serious? Maybe, ya know... tall people are attracted, or have success in, basketball? You may have the correlation backwards.

leoyh said:
yeah theres a great association with doing sport and being tall, but like, sometimes it just doesn't work because of genetic make up. and sometimes, it just does. some ppl grow way taller than their parents, even if they don't play sport, whereas others play heaps and are still as short as their parents
Sport may lead to greater testosterone, which in the growing years may effect height - but it is more likely that taller people are simply better athletes (in most sports, and i'm not counting super-lanky freaks, post 6'6" you typically get weaker due to long levers. Again, this varies on the sports requirements.)

In my opinion, the two main factors are genetics and diet. First off, If you want to get taller, you should have picked better parents. As for diet, my brother who did 5 months of Uni in Japan told me about "lots of short guys, and suddenly massive tall dudes", and couldn't figure out why. I suggested maybe those big guys are eating steak, and different food to there standard fishy diet. He reported back that it may be true noting that seemed to be from wealthier families (beef is massively expensive), and beef is such a 'new' thing to the Japanese diet, that they simply are not adapted to it, and boom! Big gains.

But this is purely speculative :)

miegoreng

HSC
Many people are taller, if only by a small bit, than their parents because of an improved diet overall due to better access to healthier foods and more information about the foods we eat.
Genetics makes up a major part of it but nutrition does too. That's why we are generally taller than our parents.
Also, I have no idea why but has anyone noticed if you compare siblings of the same gender, the younger one tends to be taller in the end?

Russdog

russell
HSC
NinjaSauce said:
And basket ballers are tall because of basketball? You serious? Maybe, ya know... tall people are attracted, or have success in, basketball? You may have the correlation backwards.
in year 8 i started hanging out with a lot of azns, who were all pretty much the same height (short). half of them started playing basketball with me at recess, lunch and after school, and the other half played nintendo and watched us. the ones who played nintendo didn't grow much, but the ones who played ball with me all grew to be tall (for azns), and are a about a foot taller than their dads. they wanted to be/had to be taller to play basketball.. which makes sense to me. we have a lot more control over our bodies than people think.

i'm 6"5, i recommend a lot of milk. i always used to drink a shitload of milk, and since i've stopped drinking milk i've also stopped growing. weed helps too.

liam9519

HSC
Russdog said:
in year 8 i started hanging out with a lot of azns, who were all pretty much the same height (short). half of them started playing basketball with me at recess, lunch and after school, and the other half played nintendo and watched us. the ones who played nintendo didn't grow much, but the ones who played ball with me all grew to be tall (for azns), and are a about a foot taller than their dads. they wanted to be/had to be taller to play basketball.. which makes sense to me. we have a lot more control over our bodies than people think.

i'm 6"5, i recommend a lot of milk. i always used to drink a shitload of milk, and since i've stopped drinking milk i've also stopped growing. weed helps too.
weed's proven to slow growth i think. particularly in younger people.

Nat3skiz

HSC
GreenLeaf said:

are you kidding me? leg stretches stretch the muscle, not the freakin bone, and no the muscle length DOES NOT change, elasticity is improved.. And i'm going to assume, by that evolution comment, you don't have the slightest idea how evolution occurs, or it was a bad joke. Basketballers are tall because they are genetically that way, and find that basketball best suits their frame. You think that a short kid starts playing basketball and hey, he's 6 foot 6? PLease....have some sense.

Russdog said:

no...just...no

miegoreng said:
Also, I have no idea why but has anyone noticed if you compare siblings of the same gender, the younger one tends to be taller in the end?
thats interestin, do you have any evidence?

Last edited:

Russdog

russell
HSC
Nat3skiz said:
no...just...no
i'm 6"5, you're not. don't argue. plus you're in year 12. you know nothing about life. don't argue. same with the other guy.

Last edited:

Nat3skiz

HSC
Russdog said:
i'm 6"5, you're not. don't argue. plus you're in year 12. you know nothing about life. don't argue. same with the other guy.
you're right i'm not, and i play alot of sport and drink alot of milk, i've smoked chronic in my time too. i'm not sure that as you grew so tall, your brain grew with you. Nothing you said was correct, and putting it down to my age shows your pathetic lack of intelligence. Not to mention the fact i know more than you, knowing nothing about life and all at my age, should be motivation for you to learn about the real reason for growing. nuff said.

but anyway, if you plan on growing tall, my uncle was 5foot 8 in yr 8 and is roughly 6"6' now(or so he says he was) so fingers crossed.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I stopped growing in year 7 and I am 155cm. Unfortunately girls don't keep growing like most boys do. (That said my b/f stopped growing in year7/8 and he is only 165cm). Its mainly genetics I believe. My brother is 180cm and 15 so he's still growing but it just depends, I got the genes from the short side and he got the genes from the tall side. I don't think there's much you can do about it.

Nat3skiz

HSC
melsc said:
I stopped growing in year 7 and I am 155cm. Unfortunately girls don't keep growing like most boys do. (That said my b/f stopped growing in year7/8 and he is only 165cm). Its mainly genetics I believe. My brother is 180cm and 15 so he's still growing but it just depends, I got the genes from the short side and he got the genes from the tall side. I don't think there's much you can do about it.
your boyfriend is/was still growing.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Russdog said:
Dude, you only finished year 12 last year you know, lol.

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
Russdog said:
LOL!!!

And how many weeks have you been in uni, let alone a real, professional job?? Oh and you were in year 12 about 4 months ago

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)