Guaranteed Band 5 or lower in 2 Unit Maths? (1 Viewer)

User5555555

HSC
Basically due to severe relationship and emotional issues, I ended up completely failing my first HSC maths exam. I got 38%, which is considered atrociously shameful as I attend a selective school. As I prepare for my half yearlies, I sought advice from people doing Extension 1 and 2 who advised me that due to the mark I attained in the first exam, my chances of achieving a band 6 in maths have practically diminished. Is that an accurate or faulty reference?

I also considered filing an appeal, but as the exam was sat last year, I considered it a futile pursuit.

Last edited:

Caustic

HSC
With your English rank in the last exam, you don't need maths!
OT: There is a chance but its very very small.

emilios

HSC
How much was it weighted? If 10% or something like that, than the overall impact is minuscule. Chances of getting 99? Unlikely. Chances of getting at least 90? Extremely possible/attainable especially if you nail your HSC, which, with enough practice, you definitely can. Internals only account for 50% of your final mark. Consider this: in yr 11 I got 46% on a task weighted 15%. Went on to still achieve a solid 93%

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
just do well in your other subjects, and if there's gen maths then drop to gen maths

emilios

HSC
Do NOT drop down to General Maths. It's completely different, isn't that much easier and will involve you having to catch up with the rest of the cohort. General is not simply "Easy 2U", the majority of the topics have no correlation with the 2U course and you'll only be further disadvantaging yourself. Grab your 2U textbook and get working, don't worry about the others.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Do NOT drop down to General Maths. It's completely different, isn't that much easier and will involve you having to catch up with the rest of the cohort. General is not simply "Easy 2U", the majority of the topics have no correlation with the 2U course and you'll only be further disadvantaging yourself. Grab your 2U textbook and get working, don't worry about the others.
There's isn't much to catch up on, and even though it's different, it's easy.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Whaaaat don't drop to General and of course you can get a band 6! Your mark doesn't mean anything, your rank is important and I know that marks closely correlate to ranks in selective schools but if you ace your next exams plus externals, then your cohort will pull you up and you can defs get a band 6. You obviously have the capacity to do 2 unit, so don't drop to general because of emotional issues or whatever.

emilios

HSC
Adrita with all due respect I think you're being overly negative. People can make up for little hiccups across the road and in a way, its fortunate that this happened earlier in the year rather than later. Ed, that band 6 is yours. Just the fact that you want it and you're willing to work for it makes it yours. 2U is up there as one of the easiest courses to get a band 6 in. I know this because many of my friends got their only band 6's in 2U, without being remarkably smart.

Also, learn to enjoy the problem solving too. It's not all that bad and its definitely not something you'll come across in General. But yeah, one mess up does not mean the end of the world, happens to everyone.

User5555555

HSC
I go to a selective school where the minimum is 2 unit maths. My maths ranking and marks are the antithesis to my English marks, which oppose the stereotype standards for my ethnicity. I also managed to do okay in my second exam, which was 35% weighting.

It's strange though, that I struggle with maths, but manage to maintain my top 10 ranking for English. I guess my work ethic and attitude towards my other subjects should improve..after all this is the HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)