HAhah try cars for under 3k (1 Viewer)

Pierotte

HSC
Whats with all these rich student types.

I have 3k to spend on a car.. thats it.

I could maybe push that to 6 if dad matches me, but i dont want to do that.

So far all ive seen is a Commodore VL, power steering, with a sports steering wheel (woot :p) in a "rare" colour, rego till september, for $2100.

(it kinda looks like this http://au.geocities.com/yplay4vl/Kodak_0403.jpg )

Hahah i kindof want to buy it cuz its the only car i can afford, but ive heard some dodgy things about these cars.. i dont want to waste 3 odd grand on a shit bucket that wont work.

But i may look like a total prat driving it?

Sigh.

So yeah, educate me on all cheap automobile matters.

Last edited:

minushuman

tafe pride
HSC
3k isn't enough, sorry. Get your dad to match you to 6K, then spend 3 thousand on the car. You'll be lucky if the other 3k even lasts the rest of the year.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
also, you might want to consider fuel economy if you are on a budget.

Jiga

Id try to get ya dad to help as mentioned by the poster above.

I started off exactly like you, thinking I could only spend $3000, but once I looked around (Not just at pics, but actually at the cars TRYING to be passed off) you notice that their isnt anything around at that price thats gonna last 6 months for the most part!

I got my parents to help out with $3000, and if you feel guilty or something for some reason, make it a family loan, thats what i did!

Once you up your top price to $6000, you will start finding cars in good condition with good engines, I eventually found a Toyota Vienta for $5500 with only 132,000kms and in virtually perfect condition for a 2nd hand car!

As for the commodore as well, you will find alot around of them because people are wanting to downgrade cos of fuel, and they really are petrol guzzlers especially the one you showed so think about future costs as well, plus rego would be alot for that big car as well! You'd be better off maybe going for a small sedan or hatchback that way you can find one with under 150,000kms and it will cost alot less in maintanence and last at least 3 years or so.

I kinda contradicted myself on da fuel seeings da Vienta takes about 11L/100,000km, but being a guy thats traded off with da POWER... Im guessing this wouldnt matter to you?

Jiga

Lol........................NO! :)

As for parents not being able to pay, well that may be the case in some circumstances....... but if they do have the money and are just being cheap, take them with you to car yards etc, my mum was intially hesitant about giving a family load but once she saw the crap you could get for $3000, and then saw how $2000makes so much a difference in quality (particularly in regards to the engine.... common sense prevailed

Pierotte

HSC
Well dad has said hes more than happy to match me, except i dont think i want him to.

I want it to bee 100% my own car if that makes sense.

And i HATE little hatch backs. I want a big car.

Yeah i thought about the fuel thing... but no matter wht car i get theres no excaping the cost of fuel. I wouldnt mind paying extra for fuel if i had a decently sized car. Plus i travel on freeway's alot, a little car just wouldnt cut it.. because.. well because they just wont and i dispise them.

I never EVER want to be one of those chicks driving a white excel with frangipani stickers on it and pink seat covers.. ew.

I wanna car with a bit of grunt.

Myabe i should just wait another half a year till ive got more saved up. Im not DESPERATE for a car a guessssss... but it would be nice.

Maybe i can get my friends and parents to just give me money for my 18th rather than buying me booze...

What do you guys think is the lowest i can get a decent car for?

Damn this whole "i want to be independant" crap. I think its just gonna have to be public transort for me for a while.

7th Sign

HSC
3k will not get you much of a car

I payed for my car 100% myself and its worth 8.8k

for like 6k you can get alright cars

for 3k all you will get is like old school commonwhores and fords with liek 280 thousand ks and in not so good nic.....Ive seen vls better then your one for half the price :| 2100 for that is a bit much ...

if your hell hell desprate maby even get a car off ebay ive seen a mazda 626 1994 model go for like 4.5k DAM good deal...

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
magnas depreciate really badly, maybe you could find a reasonable year car for under $3000. but when buying a car for under 3000 you should look out for "bargains" they are usually to good to be true.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
you want a car for 3k? hahaha good luck. Best deal i ever heard of was a working car for 4k, thats still running 2 years later

your money would be betetr spent on this
lol

top speed like 5okm

seen as u r moving to sydney for uni i presume this would be a good idea, and if u planned on coming home for the weekends and needed a car for that, carpool or make ure parents pick u up or even train, with the 1500 u save thats alot of 3$ train tickets[well 500, but still a few years supply, which islonger than a 3k car is going to last you]

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I bought a vn commodore with 120,000km's on it for $3400 - it has decent paint, interior.. no problems with the engine etc. It's lasted me two years so far with absolutely no trouble - shop around and you can find a good car :)

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
Your all fucktards who know nothing about buying a car. I bought my car for 2100, asking price was 3000, Nissan pulsar GL 4 door hatch. 157000 k's on the clock, immaculate, 6 months rego. This cars gunna keep going for another 5 years. As if you need 6 grand to buy a car, pffft.

7th Sign

HSC
seriously for $3,900 this car is a bargin too bad its in QLD maby fly up their...

seriously this is nice for the money -

boot needs some work but...just nikkey on it or something and red paint and your off maby even some cheap second hand 17s what more could you ask for it looks way hotter then any commo or ford on the roads..

7th Sign

HSC
If you think $2100 for Nissan pulsar GL 4 door hatch is a good buy their is something wrong with you.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
ii am still going to go with my electric bike idea

its cheap, sleek and sexy :)

Jiga

Your all fucktards who know nothing about buying a car. I bought my car for 2100, asking price was 3000, Nissan pulsar GL 4 door hatch. 157000 k's on the clock, immaculate, 6 months rego. This cars gunna keep going for another 5 years. As if you need 6 grand to buy a car, pffft.
What year is that car? From my research, Pulsars along with other small sedans like Lancers are in red hot demand, like cars with 180,000kms+ are at least $6000.

And in most cases, if the sale seems to good to be true, it usually is..... 99% of people dont give away cars for nothing!

As for the pics of cars above, you cant really make a judgement on their condition until you see them. I saw loads of cars that looked great online, but when you see them upclose and without their conveniently angled photo's most cars for under $4000 at least are shyte.

Here are some examples. A Mitsubishi magna we found online, looked in good condition online, went to the dealer, he started on with 'I will fix this, fix that etc etc', most things were cosmetic so I was still half intereted. Then he turns the car on, even then it sounded OK in idle for a $3000 car, but when he started to drive it, couldnt go above 40km/h, it was a real piece of junk and it had severse problems! In another case, a car looked great online, 140,000kms, magna, $3600, full service history, the pics looked great...... when we went to inspect, the car struggled to start and sometimes stopped whilst moving at low speeds, it had SEVERE weathering at the back (Which was well disguised in the pics) and it had only been serviced 3 times, and no times after 100,000kms! Lastly, this Hyundai Sonata (Wasnt to big one them, but looked n e way) looked great online, 3 year warranty, it was their luxury model so it had power everything and a number of other modern things for $5000. Upon inpsection the car looked like a piece of crap, the person(s) who owned it had severly neglected it, it had major scratches and dents all over it, the interior was stained quite abit, and when we started the engine is had a very inconsistant noise and it moved abit to much for my liking just in idle. That car only had 130,000kms btw. And also, it wasnt the luxury model adverstied so they lied and their was confusion between salesmen as to whether it had a 3 year warranty or not!

Moral of the stories, dont make any judgements until you actually see the car in person. I know this from ALOT of experience. It is possible to get a reasonable car around $4000 I think, but they are VERY rare, get taken quickly, and still have a high chance of being a dud. Once you go over or around $5000, with good research and taking the right precautions like NRMA inpsection etc, you can get a good solid car that WILL last 5 years or so. As to the pulsar above, if it is a 90's model, then it must have had half the engine replaced because their is no way they would go for $3000 let alone go down to $2100.

EDIT :

magnas depreciate really badly, maybe you could find a reasonable year car for under $3000. but when buying a car for under 3000 you should look out for "bargains" they are usually to good to be true.
Yeah true. Ive had alot of bad experiences with them though, and they have the WORST turning circle ever, I inititially thought who cares it doesnt matter but after a test drive, you realise it matters ALOT! And they are petrol guzzlers as well, they match fords and holdens...... so you would be better off going for one of them.... at least you will get alot more power for the same fuel economy!

Last edited by a moderator:

pinoying

HSC
^^^

cosign!

anywho, i owned a vl commodore for my first car and ive got nothing but good things to say about them. the nissan 3 litre engine will never miss a beat even if u treat it like shit. never had any major issues with the thing and was a great car to get me by with a little grunt when you press the loud pedal for if u want to have a little bit of a play... :)

fuel consumption may be a bit of an issue, as it was for me. it was a sad day when i had to let her go, but now im the proud owner of a VS commodore station wagon! Woohoo go the wagons!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)