Half Yearlies - New Experience? (1 Viewer)

osamaelias

HSC
N/A
The half yearlies were a big load to most of us. Because the system here is not for everyone, real study starts in year 11 and 12. And you can get confused. Overseas it was different half year exam and year exams where put into place as soon as you start kindergarten .

As i came here i did my first half year exam in year 11 , honestly it felt weird. From the girl who sat next to me whose pen didnt stop once in the english exam to other stupid things i did. And it really backfired.

For example as i said for the english exam. I went in , i spelt my name wrong and i forget all the essay topic i was writing about on top of that there was a asian girl sitting next to me who pen kept grinding on the paper and about 15 minutes all i was thinking about was her pen.

Then came the math exam , were i forget to staple the 4th paper and lost 4 marks (i got the answers correct but i didnt staple it). And i was adding 1+4+3 or 7 times 8 on the calculator , but didnt check tan 35 on the calculator.

I would not do this when im doing my homework , why is it when you enter the exam this happens? Anyone else?

To be honest coming here and doing exams is way different then overseas , back then i never had these actions come to me. But here i get intimidated i dont know why. The exams were not the new experience as ive done them before , but the actual actions happening in them are.

SomeoneCool

Banned
HSC
osamaelias said:
The half yearlies were a big load to most of us. Because the system here is not for everyone, real study starts in year 11 and 12. And you can get confused. Overseas it was different half year exam and year exams where put into place as soon as you start kindergarten .

As i came here i did my first half year exam in year 11 , honestly it felt weird. From the girl who sat next to me whose pen didnt stop once in the english exam to other stupid things i did. And it really backfired.

For example as i said for the english exam. I went in , i spelt my name wrong and i forget all the essay topic i was writing about on top of that there was a asian girl sitting next to me who pen kept grinding on the paper and about 15 minutes all i was thinking about was her pen.

Then came the math exam , were i forget to staple the 4th paper and lost 4 marks (i got the answers correct but i didnt staple it). And i was adding 1+4+3 or 7 times 8 on the calculator , but didnt check tan 35 on the calculator.

I would not do this when im doing my homework , why is it when you enter the exam this happens? Anyone else?

To be honest coming here and doing exams is way different then overseas , back then i never had these actions come to me. But here i get intimidated i dont know why. The exams were not the new experience as ive done them before , but the actual actions happening in them are.
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! ARRAABBBB!!! His name is OSAMA! AHHHHHH! :eek:

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Haha, it is a new experience indeed. I'm in year 12 right now, and trust me, I got bombed in the half yearlies. Once you get use to it though, you'll start to improve (others will too, here's when the competition starts:) )

I remember in my half yearlies, I got the following results:

50% in Extension 1 maths
90% in 2U maths
4X% in english advanced
6X% in economics
6X% in physics
6X% in biology
8X% in chemistry

But when it came to the yearlies, I improved my results
8X% in Extension 1 maths
~90% in 2U maths
6X% in english advanced
2X% in economics (I planned to fail this one, because I was definitely dropping it)
80% in physics
7X% in biology
92% in chemistry

Then in year 12, it's basically the same thing, except with different topics. And of course, the work load increases significantly =P

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I wouldn't worry too much about it - still early days.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
osamaelias said:
Yeah in most Asian countries you have exams every year. Even in kindergarten, if you get crap marks, you have to repeat the year.

osamaelias

HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
Yeah in most Asian countries you have exams every year. Even in kindergarten, if you get crap marks, you have to repeat the year.
Yeh true. Friend repeated year 9, 4 times , and doing it again next year , so 5th or 6th time not sure.

minijumbuk said:
Haha, it is a new experience indeed. I'm in year 12 right now, and trust me, I got bombed in the half yearlies. Once you get use to it though, you'll start to improve (others will too, here's when the competition starts )
Then in year 12, it's basically the same thing, except with different topics. And of course, the work load increases significantly =P
Cheers brother (B)

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
osamaelias said:
Yeh true. Friend repeated year 9, 4 times , and doing it again next year , so 5th or 6th time not sure.
Am I the only one that sorta finds that hard to believe?

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
osamaelias said:

The things that you did sound very similar to me!!
I was putting things like -3+7 into the calculator then all of a sudden I was out of time in the exam. I was loosing pages of working out in maths and scrunching up the pages I wanted to keep.

I'm practicing my exam technique (practice paper) and also working under a time limit to do my best to recreate the exam atmosphere.
I have a really big problem with nerves but I'm doing my best to control that aswell.

Stupid mistakes in your year 11 half yearlies is quite common dont fret over it too much :)

osamaelias

HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
Am I the only one that sorta finds that hard to believe?
No its not hard to believe , i do not need to be telling lies to impress people on a study site believe me. And to prove my fact. There is also a 21 Year old friend of mine who is in year 11 now. And in Fairfield high there is a friend of mine who is 24 and is in year 11 for the second time. As for overseas , you fail the end year exams , you repeat. Easy.. Think of it. And his parents did not mind ,they kept sending him back.

Sarah182 said:
The things that you did sound very similar to me!!
I was putting things like -3+7 into the calculator then all of a sudden I was out of time in the exam. I was loosing pages of working out in maths and scrunching up the pages I wanted to keep.

I'm practicing my exam technique (practice paper) and also working under a time limit to do my best to recreate the exam atmosphere.
I have a really big problem with nerves but I'm doing my best to control that aswell.

Stupid mistakes in your year 11 half yearlies is quite common dont fret over it too much :)
Yeh lol exact same thing i scrunched up the answer sheet while the exam collector was on my head . haha yeh (Y)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
osamaelias said:
No its not hard to believe , i do not need to be telling lies to impress people on a study site believe me. And to prove my fact. There is also a 21 Year old friend of mine who is in year 11 now. And in Fairfield high there is a friend of mine who is 24 and is in year 11 for the second time. As for overseas , you fail the end year exams , you repeat. Easy.. Think of it. And his parents did not mind ,they kept sending him back.
And that is 'proof' how? Ah yeah, I know some 30 year old from Tweed Heads Girls High.....yeah....She happens to be a friend of mine. Also, I have another friend from Cooma State School, he's about 27 years old. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying you're lying - just that you may have been duped, or you may have (unintentionally) misheard/misread etc. And then there's also the possibility that I'm just a skeptic. But seriously - you have 3 'friends', who all seem to have repeated a single grade 5/6 times. Not sus at all?

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I will simply say that I was going to repeat Year 8 just after my arrival in Australia. I was academically backwards at that time. However, putting effort changed my view. I ended up not repeating Year 8 and I got into mainstream Australian education system. I do not know how repeating can help individuals overcoming their academic challenges.

raven2000

HSC
osamaelias said:
Omg, so he failed for the fifth time and his parents are fine about it. NICE!!!!!
Go learn english, your grammar is horrible.
Guys just rearrange his name a little(and take out an A) and you get:
Osamaelias -> Osama(Bin LadeN)Lies

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
raven2000 said:
Omg, so he failed for the fifth time and his parents are fine about it. NICE!!!!!
Go learn english, your grammar is horrible.
Guys just rearrange his name a little(and take out an A) and you get:
Osamaelias -> Osama(Bin LadeN)Lies
That was totally unnecessary.

omgd.

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
That was totally unnecessary.
agreed.
:wave:

Its not so hard to believe that those people repeated.
Theres a reason asians who move here are so smart.
:read:

Dont fret on poor examination performance. Happens to the best of us. Do practice papers in your spare time. It makes a tremendous change believe me. Put yourself under examination conditions. And most importantly CONTROL YOURSELF in the exam room =b. Dont listen to the pen next to you, remind yourself each time she moves onto the next word thats one less word your essay will have:hammer: . Youd be suprised how much it adds up to ><.

osamaelias

HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
I'm not saying you're lying - just that you may have been duped, or you may have (unintentionally) misheard/misread etc. And then there's also the possibility that I'm just a skeptic. But seriously - you have 3 'friends', who all seem to have repeated a single grade 5/6 times. Not sus at all?
Im not going on continuining with you tbh. Your post shows you lack of knowledge. Fairfield High is a college and a high school. It has a IEC program in which you have to repeat year 11 twice. The first year to learn the basics of English and the second year to do year 11 like every normal teen.

You try to mock me on a site like this , im giving you information that may be helpful to you. Strong skills.

This thread wasnt meant for people like you to accuse others of lieing if you dont like it leave , i came here to discuss exam issues that is all i want to continue to hear about.

omgd. said:
Dont fret on poor examination performance. Happens to the best of us. Do practice papers in your spare time. It makes a tremendous change believe me. Put yourself under examination conditions. And most importantly CONTROL YOURSELF in the exam room =b. Dont listen to the pen next to you, remind yourself each time she moves onto the next word thats one less word your essay will have . Youd be suprised how much it adds up to ><.
I did some past papers and finished before hand but when i came to the real thing i did stupid things :$ , thanks for the comment.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
osamaelias said:
Im not going on continuining with you tbh. Your post shows you lack of knowledge. Fairfield High is a college and a high school. It has a IEC program in which you have to repeat year 11 twice. The first year to learn the basics of English and the second year to do year 11 like every normal teen.
And which part of my post shows a lack of knowledge? And a lack of knowledge of what? Yes, I admit, I may not know about every single school in Metropolitan Sydney. I'm sorry, I didn't know that was a prerequisite. :rolleyes:

osamaelias said:
You try to mock me on a site like this , im giving you information that may be helpful to you. Strong skills.
I wasn't mocking you at all. All I said was: "I find this a little hard to believe". And as I said later on, you may have unintentionally misinterpreted what another person was saying, or misheard/misread - or it was an unintentional mistake. I also allowed for the possibility that my skepticism kicked in a little early.

And I'm wondering which part of this might be useful to me.

osamaelias said:
This thread wasnt meant for people like you to accuse others of lieing if you dont like it leave , i came here to discuss exam issues that is all i want to continue to hear about.
As per above: I didn't accuse you or lying, in any way, shape or form. All I said that your 'proof' doesn't really count as proof.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)