Half Yearly Examinations (1 Viewer)

cienna

HSC
I have my half yearly exms next week and have not been able to get off my butt to study. I just cant do it. I'm trying, though. I try to get work done and then just think how the hell am I going to do this. So I had a few questions for the lovely 2016'ers and past HSC students out there.

1. What is an effective method of study? One where it doesn't take 2 hours to get a paragraph out.
2. What is an ideal, and short or easy to analyse supplementary text for The Crucible; People and Politics?
3. How can I re learn all of last terms topics quickly and effectively?
4. How can I learn how to make thesis statements off of the top of my head?

Thanks

christinebelista

HSC
First off, you're going to have to figure out what type of studier you are.
By that I mean your 'zone of effectiveness' - or you know, the certain time of day when you find you can think and process concepts and whatnot with optimum clarity and efficiency.

HAHA in my case I'm a night owl, which is why I'm replying at this ungodly hour. After you've figured that bit out, to start actual study you need to first get rid of any distractions i.e. your phone, install a self-control app on your laptop, you get the gist. It's harder to actually implement than you might think lmaOOOo, once I turn the self-control app on I can't reply to any messages for a good two hours or so. Or check notifs.

Most effective method of study for me is to revise my notes, then say them out loud as if I'm teaching someone, that way you know for sure you've grasped the concepts in your mind. Make sure you're making notes as you go along and not for study! It's a massive time waster to make the damn things, then memorise them imo. Do past papers but don't tire yourself out too much because you want to peak during your actual exam.

PEOPLE AND POLITICS ??? bro thats like Module C, why you thinking about that right now HAHA, we still have Module B to worry about good lorddddd

I used to struggle with thesis statements too, but I found that the best practice was to read a whole stack of essays, see how the masters did it and pick up on any groovy words/phrases used e.g. In a simultaneous validation and critique of the various ideological and philosophical milieus of their time, authors seek to reflect contextual changes through the kaleidoscopic perspectives offered in their texts.

Look up example essay questions and exercise your ability to simultaneously deconstruct what they're asking for you to produce as well as the argument you want to articulate.

Good luck man!

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
First off, you're going to have to figure out what type of studier you are.
By that I mean your 'zone of effectiveness' - or you know, the certain time of day when you find you can think and process concepts and whatnot with optimum clarity and efficiency.

HAHA in my case I'm a night owl, which is why I'm replying at this ungodly hour. After you've figured that bit out, to start actual study you need to first get rid of any distractions i.e. your phone, install a self-control app on your laptop, you get the gist. It's harder to actually implement than you might think lmaOOOo, once I turn the self-control app on I can't reply to any messages for a good two hours or so. Or check notifs.

Most effective method of study for me is to revise my notes, then say them out loud as if I'm teaching someone, that way you know for sure you've grasped the concepts in your mind. Make sure you're making notes as you go along and not for study! It's a massive time waster to make the damn things, then memorise them imo. Do past papers but don't tire yourself out too much because you want to peak during your actual exam.

PEOPLE AND POLITICS ??? bro thats like Module C, why you thinking about that right now HAHA, we still have Module B to worry about good lorddddd

I used to struggle with thesis statements too, but I found that the best practice was to read a whole stack of essays, see how the masters did it and pick up on any groovy words/phrases used e.g. In a simultaneous validation and critique of the various ideological and philosophical milieus of their time, authors seek to reflect contextual changes through the kaleidoscopic perspectives offered in their texts.

Look up example essay questions and exercise your ability to simultaneously deconstruct what they're asking for you to produce as well as the argument you want to articulate.

Good luck man!

Some schools do them in different orders
For example I'm doing mod A now

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
I have my half yearly exms next week and have not been able to get off my butt to study. I just cant do it. I'm trying, though. I try to get work done and then just think how the hell am I going to do this. So I had a few questions for the lovely 2016'ers and past HSC students out there.

1. What is an effective method of study? One where it doesn't take 2 hours to get a paragraph out.
2. What is an ideal, and short or easy to analyse supplementary text for The Crucible; People and Politics?
3. How can I re learn all of last terms topics quickly and effectively?
4. How can I learn how to make thesis statements off of the top of my head?

Thanks
nb: when i say dot point, i mean how the rubric or syllabus of english can be broken into their own individual 'dot points' and question 1&4 are interchangeable
1. I'd suggest knowing your dot point in detail. In saying that, not the surface value of 'of course, you have to know your shit' - i mean ACTUALLY KNOWING YOUR SHIT. The amount of students, my past cohort and even myself that had gaps in their knowledge was atrocious. Start from bare minimum, like i mean dot point one. Start learning every aspect of the dot point. Move onto the next dot point. Leave no gaps. Just because you're not 'strong' in a certain area doesn't mean you should focus your attention away from your weak points and tackle perfect your strong points - work until your strong points in a subject becomes equally as strong as your weak points e.g. i wasn't particularly strong in module C, I WAS however strong in AOS. In knowing that, i focused less on AOS: putting say, 2 hours in AOS and 6 hours in module C.
2. I did 'Harrison Bergeron - Kurt Vonnegut (i think thats how its spelt). Really easy, the relationship between people and politics are clear as day.
3. As i said in question one - not the quickest method BUT very effective, saves you the trouble of having to come back to something you don't understand.
4. Practice chunking: Get a question (any question). Start making up a paragraph for it. Review your paragraph. A lot of English teachers recommend this method since your brain will start shift its method of thought. e.g. My question was about how experiences from discoveries can shift an individual's perception of the world. I would just write a ton of different intros. No body paragraphs. Just focusing on intros alone. Saves a lot of time since you focus on one section of the essay instead of tackling a really daunting task

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)